Notices

Gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:08 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas prices

I'm surprised no one has brought up the subject yet. Here in Ottawa it's up to 139 cents per liter for regular. I think it's up to 147 in Montreal... That means amost 160 for 94 octane gas!!! 112 bucks for 70 liters... that's a little crazy!

How are gas prices changing your driving habits? I'm guessing if we can afford P-cars, we can assume higher variable costs associated to driving?

Marc-André
'91 963
Old 09-03-2005, 06:43 PM
turboGary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the 930S off the road a couple weeks ago when I saw it coming. It's staying off till the crap settles, if it doesn't the car is gone..... and I'll get a smart car
Old 09-03-2005, 08:31 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I heard today that this is spike and by next week it should start coming back down to the 90s, unless of course something else bad happens. BTW the Pcar is nothing, the big savanna with the 5.7 that gets pricey. Fortunatley i use it in the business so it makes money. and if it gets too much I raise my prices.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:34 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I heard today that this is spike and by next week it should start coming back down to the 90s, unless of course something else bad happens. BTW the Pcar is nothing, the big savanna with the 5.7 that gets pricey. Fortunatley i use it in the business so it makes money. and if it gets too much I raise my prices. As for driving habits In town I look ahead to the lights and do a lot of coasting and on the highway put on cruise and keep around 90-95. This gets me about 50 more kms on a tank.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I think we should be rioting in the streets and hanging the government officials until they get the point. But I live in Canada where everyone is passive and no has a voice. Cows being led off to slaughter.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is 113 here in the Maritimes - I drive my P-car now instead of the Sequoia as it is easier on gas!

Marc
Old 09-03-2005, 11:23 PM
u_slo
Intermediate

The gas prices are horrible, but as the others have already stated, it doesn't do much worse than the other cars in the house.

Although I must admit the motorcycle looks like a likely choice for any missions while these prices are in the range they're in
Old 09-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tell my friends that I now have to drive my econo car more ... the Porsche!!! .... my 951 gets 36 to 38 MPG highway ....
Old 09-04-2005, 12:09 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by u_slo
Although I must admit the motorcycle looks like a likely choice for any missions while these prices are in the range they're in
I filled up my bike today. It usually costs about 13$... today it was 15$. I'll fill it up again in 3 weeks

The 944 turbo... that's a different story, but there's now way I'm gonna stop driving it until the snow flies.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:19 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

You guys are right about the porsche not being tougher on gas... except that all of us put the 91-94 octane instead of the 87 so it probably even's out with an SUV! Speaking of SUV's, I wonder how sales will look like this month!

As for 90 cent gas (40% drop), I doubt very we'll be seeing that in the next few weeks... or months for that matter! I bet oil companies aren't in a hurry to lower prices! And for that to happen, the price of the baril must come down a couple of bucks too! USA tapping into strategic reserves can't be a good thing in the short run either.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:05 AM
adie
Pro

I guess no one has brought it up as no one really cares. The oil companys know what everyone will pay for gas, if it goes to $2 a litre would you stop buying it, of course not. I am paying the same for gas now as I was back in the UK.............................10 years ago. No on in the Uk thought it would ever go above 75 pence litre ($1.70 in real money) but there paying the same in pounds as you are in dollars, to sit in traffic. And I don't think it make a difference if you have a Porsche or a GMC, you don't get a special rate just because you have a different badge on the hood. it's just the way it will be. There are alternitives for many people but everyone has become reliant on gas and will do anything to continue investing in fossil fuel and loading Saudi's with cash. I commute 140kms each way to work 3/4 days a week, it now makes sense to get a basement apartment and stay in town while i'm working, it will cost the same except someone gets a break in there mortgage payments and my cash goes to them rather than in the tank of my car, probably safer than me driving down the road after 14 hours of work each day as well. I had thought of a smart can when I was in the UK but realistically if you have a nice economical car in the garage and a Porsche (or anything that is a pleasure to drive) you usually take the Porsche, after all the $20,000 purchase price buys a lot of gas for your Porsche. Thats my thought and I'd welcome gas price's falling but I don't doubt that the prices will be here to stay, if not this year then the next. Especially as we all now know that WE are prepaired to continue consuming gas, no matter what the pump price is. If it does drop it will only be short term befoer it goes back up again. Drive a compact!..............i'd rather push my Porsche.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:55 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

I think people do care. Most North American cities aren't build around public transportation like in Europe. I lived in Europe for 4 months and I didn't need a car... Everything was very accessible by tram, bus or underground. However, in Canada it's not quite the same thing. Let's take you for example... commuting 140 km per day. I doubt you where doing this in the UK? There you go.

As for the same pound for dollar prices... that we really don't care about because of purchasing price parity. Your big mac will cost you 2 USD, 2 CAD or 2 GBP.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:51 PM
u_slo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JustinL
I filled up my bike today. It usually costs about 13$... today it was 15$. I'll fill it up again in 3 weeks

The 944 turbo... that's a different story, but there's now way I'm gonna stop driving it until the snow flies.
You said it... anyways, a nice sports bike only complements a pcar
Old 09-04-2005, 08:18 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just hugged my big 4-banger

Quick Reply: Gas prices