Notices

First trip to CA = big trouble and a court date in Ontario :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy First trip to CA = big trouble and a court date in Ontario :(

I took my family on a trip to Canada last month and a few hours after crossing the border we were pulled over. The officer thought my GPS navigation system was a radar detector. He then asked if I had one and I stupidly said "yes" and showed him where it was. I thought I was in the clear because it was disconnected but apparently you can't even have one in your car.

I can't believe how much trouble I'm in now. Worst case, I can't travel back to Canada (we had a great time and want to return).

I'm trying to figure out how I can minimize the damage but for now it looks like I'm out $400 US and will never see my V1 again, I will be fined up to $1000, and if I don't show for my court date I can be arrested next time I cross the border.

Yikes!

I can't show up on my court date because it is my first day at my new job. I looked into having one of these traffic law firms show up for me but that is going to cost at least $600 CDN and I will likely be fined on top of that.

Double yikes! Having a disconnected radar detector on my first trip to CA, not speeding, no points at all ever on my license, this is going to cost me over $1,000. I had no idea, seriously, NO IDEA how bad this was going to turn out.

Is there anything I can do? At this point I'd like to just pay a fine and be done with it, but with a court summons on a date that can't be changed and on a date where I can't spend two days to drive back and show up at 9AM - I think I'm stuck. Totally you-know-what.

Seriously, is there anything else I can possibly do before I retain a $600 lawyer to show up for me so that I can be fined up to $1,000 and not thrown in jail next time I cross the border??
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad luck! You should be able to mail a cheque - fine is usually discounted somewhat for pleading guilty.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM
DK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that really sucks, and I think it's a cheap shot on the Ontario police to pull over visitors in sports cars for a 'routine check' to see if they have radar detectors. That is low, low, low.

The ticket should have a fine amount on it - you can just pay that without having to show up in court. The fine amount can't possibly be 1000!?!?!?? 1000 for having a disconnected radar detector? What is the reasoning on THAT penalty amount?!?!?? Did you really ^&## off the cop or something?

If that's the case, you do have a pretty strong case to go to court and ask the judge to have the fine amount drastically reduced. Ontario police are obviously hoping you folks are just going to pay the tickets, rather than dispute how inane the violation/fine ratio is.

If you plan to never go to Ontario again, you probably don't have to pay it. There are no recipricals between provinces on provincial legislation, so just go to any other province. Even if you get pulled over, other provinces cannot enforce (nor even view) Ontarios provincial traffic laws.

Come to BC - radar detector friendly. No guns though.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe it's as much as 1k... I've been pulled over in Quebec once with my radar detector and the fine was only 400 CAD. (actually 300+100 of administrative fees). Apparently lawyers can get the admin fees cancelled out. Try pointts.com (they must have an office close to where you got caught). Maybe they can help or have a better idea.

M-A
Old 06-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

creaturecat - I wish I could just mail in a check but the problem is that I was given a court summons. The fine will be determined by a judge and I was told "ranges up to $1000 CDN, but will likely only be around$400"

DK- I've been trying to figure out a way to just pay a fine but everybody I call says I have to either pay somebody to represent me or drive back to Ontario and show up myself. I have been trying to call the provincial prosecutor and ask him if I could plead guilty and pay a fine but after three straight days of calling 10+ times a day I can't get to talk to him.

M-A - I sure hope it isn't $1k but apparently if you don't show up and the judge might get upset and just let you have it with the max fine which I confirmed is $1k. Also, the kicker is that the class of the summons allows the judge to issue a warrant for arrest - this is really tough stuff!

I called POINTTS and they don't service that area (London Ontario), I've tried a couple others and they are all around $500 - $600. So factor in and additional $400 US for the V1 and a fine that is going to range anywhere between $100 - $1,000....ouch.

I learned my lesson the second I got pulled over, this really hurts.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:29 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Man, that is a bummer to say the least. If the representing loyer is not a complet morron, you should get off with $0, I would say that this is a case of entrapment. Faking not knowing the gizmo was a GPS as a pretext to sway the conversation towrads the radar + having no reason for stoping you (you were not speeding) + the fact that you did not know the law regarding radars + your right not to answer this perticular question....A set-up if I hever saw one!
Good luck man, I hope you can visite us again.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:09 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK That COP was way out of line, I think you should contact POINTS and ask them to represent you for the court date, they will most likely be able to get you off the charge. Most likely the judge will understand your position and drop the charge....I hope you come back to Canada as it really is a great place...
Old 06-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Aren't there any Rennlisters who work/live in the London are and may be able to appear on your behalf to get a court appearance extension?

I'm certain that the first time is just to set a trial date.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Blaine, call me 905.878.2349 X140.

--Jamie
Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

file for a continuance
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Blaine

You could get in touch with user 'copper' on the Pelican BBS. He is a London city officer - although not in traffic. Maybe he can help or make suggestions.

Ian
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carbon_00
file for a continuance
I'd have to show up on the 11th do do that. The summons date is to set a court date.

I finally got through to the provincial prosecutor and spoke with him. He said that a lot of people don't show up and what will happen is that I will be found guilty and eventually get a fine for about $170 which includes some processing fees.

I guess I don't like the idea much of not doing anything before the summons date and just hoping that I'll get off for an additional $170 but it would be a lot better than the $600 to hire a lawyer to represent me and pay a fine on top of that! ugh.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

So when you crossed over into Canada at the border, I'm sure that there was a sign that explained that Radar Detectors are not legal to use but did it specifically say that you could not even have them in your possession? It's one thing for a local Canadian (Ontarian) to know that but another for an American visitor unless specifically being told in plain English that they can not be in your possession. It doesn't seem like a hard case to fight and at the end of the day, every country is looking to support tourism, not discourage it. They'll go easy on you as long as you or your representative show up at court.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:29 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blaine S
I finally got through to the provincial prosecutor and spoke with him. He said that a lot of people don't show up and what will happen is that I will be found guilty and eventually get a fine for about $170 which includes some processing fees.
What a bunch of crooks. They know most tourist can't come back for a court apperance.... But that looks like your best option as incredible as it sounds! Sleezy cop... Do you think is mother is prowd of him?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Well I'm just going to eat the fine and the cost of the new V1. I have too much going on in my life right now and it isn't worth the hassle.

Besides, it is such a minor thing considering what just happened to Scott W - that *really* stinks! All things in perspective.

Quick Reply: First trip to CA = big trouble and a court date in Ontario :(