Notices

Crazy Insurance Policy

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:36 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Insurance Policy

I am thinking about the Porsche TT purchase and when I called the insurance company to get me a quote this is what they said.

$ 1700.00 per year
$ 5000.00 deductible on comprehensive and collision and
I need to install a boomerang system in the car or they won't insure it.

Have you guys heard this before. They said this is necessary because the car is over 100k in value.

I have no history of collision and a very clean driving record. Knock on wood.

Cheers and thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default That is crazy

I have a GT3 ( cheaper than TT)and my policy is:
$ 4000./ year
$5000. deductible
Had to install Boom II
And if I plan on driving more than 8 - 10 k km I have to call them.

I have a clean record and am over 40. Your policy sounds too cheap.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:48 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Holy smokes...............Mike.................WTF .
You just made my day. I thought mine was bad but yours .............dear God!!!! I've been with the same insurance company for 20 years and I have 3 vehicles with two drivers. Perhaps this is the difference.

Geez.....................I think I need to go throw up now.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:46 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

I just found out that by placing a Boomerang system in your car, those that monitor it , including insurance companies will be able to determine your driving habits.

Including but not limited to speeds you drive at and at what locations. This will certainly effect future insurance premiums. Hell..........I was even told that it is possible for the police to receive a similar report about your driving habits.

Isn't this an invasion of privacy???? Where are we going with this????
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Wormdoggy,

I have a fleet (sort of) a GT2 and a pair of GT3's (his and hers). I get a break on insurance because you can't drive two cars at once. The GT2 costs $2,400 (this is Quebec where premiums are higher in general) and 5K deductible. The 3's are 1600. I was able (advised by dealer) to insist on a Boomerang 1. It is incapable of monitoring anything unlike the Boom2. Dealer told me a story. The key fob on the Boom 2 sometimes doesn't work. The fob disables the theft alarm on the Boomerang. A guy got in his car and drove away. because the fob didn't work the cops stopped him because his car was reported stolen. The owner was miffed and mouthed off a little. Bad idea. They give him a breathalizer test and he failed. Big trouble!!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Default Bob, we should arrange a meet with all

RSR Porsche owners and compare policies. I took a slightly higher priced policy because of the DE but, the other prices were not more than $1k cheaper. You get one heck of a volume discount. My 97 993 TT was never less than $2k.
With Cook and Keith, we will be 8 GT3 s on Sat.. Will you be there on Sun. as well?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Your policy is in line with those in Alberta (maybe a little high for multiple vehicles though)...........there's nothing wrong with the dollar amount of the premium or the deductible basically.

The Boomerang requirement we don't have out here.....isn't that the same as a Lojack in principle ? If you've been with the same insurance company for 20 years I'd shop around.......find one who doesn't want a boomerang and go with them. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike, I have 6 (this is a bit embarassing) cars on the same policy so the discount is substantial. I am with Chubb. Yes I will be there Saturday although I might be a little late - I have to wait for some furniture to be delivered early that morning. Did you get some sort of group discount on guest fees????? There will be 9 GT3's on Friday, you,me Keith, Paul, Louise, Raff, Alain, Marty and Ron.

Rgds,
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Default "Did you get some sort of group discount on guest fees"

From Vince? Discount? I don't think so.
Should be great on Friday & Saturday.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Mike, I have 6 (this is a bit embarassing) cars on the same policy so the discount is substantial. I am with Chubb. Yes I will be there Saturday although I might be a little late - I have to wait for some furniture to be delivered early that morning. Did you get some sort of group discount on guest fees????? There will be 9 GT3's on Friday, you,me Keith, Paul, Louise, Raff, Alain, Marty and Ron.

Rgds,

Only 9! Wow, maybe I won't be getting mugged by GT-3 traffic every 30 seconds
Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Stacy,I forgot to add Emmanuel driving my ex GT2 who will mug all of us. Still, only 10 perecent of the cars are GT3s. Of course, Alex will be drivng his Viper race car! See you tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Thats a great story, I hope that idiot lost his license..no excuse for driving drunk.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Wormdoggy,

I have a fleet (sort of) a GT2 and a pair of GT3's (his and hers). I get a break on insurance because you can't drive two cars at once. The GT2 costs $2,400 (this is Quebec where premiums are higher in general) and 5K deductible. The 3's are 1600. I was able (advised by dealer) to insist on a Boomerang 1. It is incapable of monitoring anything unlike the Boom2. Dealer told me a story. The key fob on the Boom 2 sometimes doesn't work. The fob disables the theft alarm on the Boomerang. A guy got in his car and drove away. because the fob didn't work the cops stopped him because his car was reported stolen. The owner was miffed and mouthed off a little. Bad idea. They give him a breathalizer test and he failed. Big trouble!!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:07 PM
paul997
Advanced

I am paying $1,800 on a 2005 997 and had to install a boomerang with a $1,000 ded.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When you guys have the boomerang installed, do they clip the tracker chip to your keychain?

I've seen this done a few times... What a waste to say the least.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You guys are getting off easy . . .

$6800 (really $4000 or so when I consider the car being parked for the winter)
$7000 ded.

I was down 8 points so that's the reason for my insurance costs.

18 over - 3 points
20 over - 3 points
illegal left hand turn - 2 points
at fault accident - see above illegal left hand turn

That was all in the year my dad was sick with cancer. My mind was elsewhere. Got all the points back in Jan and next Jan I should be back to normal insurance rates . . .

Quick Reply: Crazy Insurance Policy