Notices

Shannonville

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:53 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ooh, ooh, action on the Canada forum. I want in.

As far as the skid pad thing with instructor standing in front of the car, it's actually a common exercise. I've been through it on a wet skidpad with PCA (911 no ABS), on a dry skidpad with the Jim Russell instructors (in a Volvo with ABS) and on an ice covered skidpad in a winter school put on by Ford (not sure where the instructors were from) . The Ford one was the first one I did (about 13 years ago) and I thought the guy was nuts, but everything went smoothly. Compared to that, the wet skidpad seemed pretty safe to me, and I've never seen or heard about any incident until you mentioned Botho.

As for the relative safetly of the on track events, I was at Shannonville for the PCA event in 2003 and watched the evening show from the stands. A couple of those guys knew what they were doing, some were OK, and some should have their heads checked. At least one guy stopped on-line on the track, got out, checked his tire pressure and got back in and drove away. I really don't care if they wear helmets, since I consider that a Darwin thing, but to stop on the track and get out (he left his door open) has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. But like any event, you have to determine who is good and who is a moron, and stay away from the morons, be it an open event or a PCA event.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want in on this action? You haven't even said anything contraversial. Let's hear how you really feel.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:28 PM
JLJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" The Ford one was the first one I did (about 13 years ago) and I thought the guy was nuts, but everything went smoothly. Compared to that, the wet skidpad seemed pretty safe to me, and I've never seen or heard about any incident until you mentioned Botho. "

well i was there and it was the first skid pad event of 2003...PCAUCR covered it up nicely even deleting posts from their website about it. Botho got run down by a boxster after taunting all of us to kill him. saturday at shnnonville i never saw the guy stop on the track..thats crazy.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:29 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by Alon
You want in on this action? You haven't even said anything contraversial. Let's hear how you really feel.
thats not true Alon he mentioned to me in private that you were an intelligent and handsome young man ..
Old 08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

JLJ,

I wasn't suggesting "The Botho Incident" didn't happen, just that I didn't hear about it (I'm not a UCR member).

As for how I really feel, well, as a co-worker of mine once said, "People are as dumb as paint". The problem with "open" events is that if the person(s) running the event are not keeping an eye on what's going on, you can have guys checking air pressures on the track, and spinning multiple times per lap, and no one ever asking them if maybe they are driving over their head. The PCA guys at least have a chat with you if you do something dumb/dangerous, and if you're too dumb/dangerous, you are sent home without your dinner.

I've never been to a Dexter Day, but some of my friends have, and they enjoyed it, so I'll assume that the Dexter Days are a good time. So and open day can be more of a mixed bag if you don't know who you are inviting and not keeping an eye on the action. You could end up with group of SCCA racers, or the opposite. Personally, I'd stay away from the cars driven by guys without helmets.

Oh, and as for flat spotting tires cause you turned your ABS off; did your race bike have ABS? Although I agree P.Po should calm down. He has been acting up lately.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:31 PM
P.Po
Instructor

>he mentioned to me in private that you were an intelligent and handsome young man ..

lol!!!

sjanes... I can't say it was the same group of guys, but the following happended after the Shannonville PCA at 2002. When I a guy spun, he got out of his car, on track, looked around it. His friend stopped turned his car around and drove back to the spun car. While this was going on, people where still driving passed at speed. I couldn't believe it! Oh well....

I was watching some of those drifter guys on TV. They had people helping push the cars around while the tires where spinning. I don't get it? Are they trying to get hurt?

I really just like the fact that the Canadian Forum has the most posts.... woo!

-Patrick
Old 08-24-2004, 03:34 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLJ
" .... saturday at shnnonville i never saw the guy stop on the track..thats crazy.
That happened at the 2003 event (not sure if it was the same group of guys). It was highly entertaining group to watch. People hanging out windows, one guy in an old red Integra spinning at least once a lap. They drove until after dark before being kicked off.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:35 PM
P.Po
Instructor

Talking

>Although I agree P.Po should calm down. He has been acting up lately.

OMG!!! Now I am getting picked on!

Fair enough.... I mean I have not been on track or haven't driven a Porsche for more then 100km this year so I guess I deserve it!

-P.Po
Old 08-24-2004, 03:42 PM
JLJ

sjanes wrote:
Oh, and as for flat spotting tires cause you turned your ABS off; did your race bike have ABS? Although I agree P.Po should calm down. He has been acting up lately

i wish it had ABS!! when you hi the maximum braking point on a bike the rear wheel is in the air or you have tucked the front and crashed most likely..how awesome would it be to brake as hard as i want on my bike and trail brake while turning it in..all while pulling hard on the brakes...it would be tough for a bike to use ABS the same as a car in race condiitons i beleive..........MOTOGP uses traction control so ABS might be coming...and some touring bikes have ABS already so look out!!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

P.Po wrote: OMG!!! Now I am getting picked on!

We haven't even begun picking on you but if you keep this up, you'll be a target like I am most of the time. Try not to cry about it and take it like a man.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
JLJ

P.Po wrote: OMG!!! Now I am getting picked on!

We haven't even begun picking on you but if you keep this up, you'll be a target like I am most of the time. Try not to cry about it and take it like a man.
take it like a man like Alon learned while living in florida when he was young and needed the money
Old 08-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Actually, it was New York, not Florida.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:00 AM
JLJ

Actually, it was New York, not Florida.
thanks but this isnt the jerry springer forum you freak
Old 08-25-2004, 06:32 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure that Alon should be joining in to any of this discussion until he's got the minerals to start coming out to some of this stuff....(and I don't even know Alon!).
Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by fryd
I'm not sure that Alon should be joining in to any of this discussion until he's got the minerals to start coming out to some of this stuff....(and I don't even know Alon!).
Nice!! Eat that alon!!

Quick Reply: Shannonville