Notices

997 bore scoring solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 12:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

993's and earlier had Nikasil. Pretty bullet proof. I think it's outrageous that Porsche does not stand behind their motors. Neighbour has had their Macan S engine score. Not worth replacing so they're going to drive it till it dies and buy a North American or Asian SUV as they should have in the first place. She who knows best would love a Cayenne but wisely bought a Palisade.
Old 07-25-2024, 01:03 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
993's and earlier had Nikasil. Pretty bullet proof. I think it's outrageous that Porsche does not stand behind their motors. Neighbour has had their Macan S engine score. Not worth replacing so they're going to drive it till it dies and buy a North American or Asian SUV as they should have in the first place. She who knows best would love a Cayenne but wisely bought a Palisade.
3.0 T Macan engine is junk. Bore scoring, fuel pumps that leak fuel and wreck rod/main bearings. Ungodly expensive to repair. At one point Porsche was out of shortblocks and long blocks. You can hear them knocking at around 2500rpm… 1-2 times a week we will drain out oil that looks like liquid aluminium

Guess what? Audi based 2.9T is heading that same route

Overstressed engines that run hot with iffy maintenance. My advice is lease this stuff and maybe keep 2 years after.

this is even before getting in rear suspension corrosion issues

Last edited by Gregster; 07-25-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2024, 01:11 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Ya, the one shop in my area that had the Sunnen machine to work the Alusi bores is now closed.
IIRC everything at BMW is unserviceable. Need a block? Its toss in the trash because of the laser applied coatings

As I said the biggest issue everywhere even speaking to friends in UK who have shops is machine shops are closing down. We turn away good work because it will be sometimes 3-4 weeks turn around and then you get the part back screwed. We had a few EA888 engines built ready to install but the cores I have now are sitting there. Can’t find a decent place to line bore and clean up the cranks.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:28 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts

I feel like this is just the reality of modern ICE cars. They're engineered well to conform to all environmental/emissions regulations but it seems like it's a the expense of longevity and reliability. We've manufactured ourselves into driving the iPhone and Android equivalent of cars where in 5 or 10 years it's basically thrown away.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:54 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Ya, the one shop in my area that had the Sunnen machine to work the Alusi bores is now closed.
While they were designed to be rehoned, it work for m96/m97 unfortunately. The silicon particles in the alusil are simply too large (up to .003”!) and are what break off and cause scoring. They fixed this by going with a much smaller silicone particle for the 9a1 which can be bored and honed.

As for the desposible comment, I’ll assume that is in reference to SUV’s. Because a 997.1 with a 4.1L is a much better driving experience than any of the newer pcars I’ve driven. The 997.2 is great, but it’s also about when the connection between the driver and road started becoming more muted IMHO.

And no, I’m not from Canada. But my girlfriend is flying to Calgary today so I figure that qualified me to join the discussion. 😂
The following users liked this post:
vetfever (07-28-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 10:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
While they were designed to be rehoned, it work for m96/m97 unfortunately. The silicon particles in the alusil are simply too large (up to .003”!) and are what break off and cause scoring. They fixed this by going with a much smaller silicone particle for the 9a1 which can be bored and honed.

As for the desposible comment, I’ll assume that is in reference to SUV’s. Because a 997.1 with a 4.1L is a much better driving experience than any of the newer pcars I’ve driven. The 997.2 is great, but it’s also about when the connection between the driver and road started becoming more muted IMHO.

And no, I’m not from Canada. But my girlfriend is flying to Calgary today so I figure that qualified me to join the discussion. 😂
We'll allow it .. lol
Slakker (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I feel like this is just the reality of modern ICE cars. They're engineered well to conform to all environmental/emissions regulations but it seems like it's a the expense of longevity and reliability. We've manufactured ourselves into driving the iPhone and Android equivalent of cars where in 5 or 10 years it's basically thrown away.
So why is it that Asian and American vehicles do not appear to be suffering this fate? My wild, unsupportable guess is EU environmental laws with emphasis on the mental.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:38 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
So why is it that Asian and American vehicles do not appear to be suffering this fate? My wild, unsupportable guess is EU environmental laws with emphasis on the mental.
They sure do suffer from it. Look up all the problems of late with Toyota engines. Look up the problems caused by cylinder deactivation on GM V8s. Fords brilliant idea using a wet timing belt.. I can go on
Adamant1971 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 04:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gregster
They sure do suffer from it. Look up all the problems of late with Toyota engines. Look up the problems caused by cylinder deactivation on GM V8s. Fords brilliant idea using a wet timing belt.. I can go on
Cylinder deactivation - almost as stupid an idea as the current stop/start nonsense. At least you can shut it off. I have friends with all of these cars, and no one has ever heard of, let alone experienced, major engine problems. Yet I'd say 1/3 of the people I know with water cooled Porsches have had engine failures.
Brian 162 (07-27-2024)

Quick Reply: 997 bore scoring solution