Notices

High theft risk premium surcharge insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 03:02 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
It's hard to assess real risk, as this list is sorted on absolute numbers... There are a lot of CR-Vs and Rams on the road, so not so surprising that the total number of thefts is high, but looking at that "top-10" list suggests that a Range Rover is more than three times as likely to be stolen as the "number 1" CR-V. Too bad that the source for this list just has these top-10s, what would really be interesting is to see the actual rates for all cars on the market. I expect that this is what the insurance companies look at.
List is sorted by total volume of thefts. My truck is at #3 so I'm naturally ****ting myself about getting this surcharge.
But, if you look at the rate of theft it's at #8. So perhaps there's hope.

Though I'm sure this table can be filtered, pivoted or whatever to get to the justification they need to raise premiums.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:43 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Maybe I got a "least stolen vehicle" credit. My Z insurance renewal is 9.2% below last year!
Old 05-22-2024, 04:49 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I believe it's the number one stolen vehicle in Ontario...
My understanding is that Hybrids, EV's and anything with a manual is unlikely to get stolen, so....
Old 05-22-2024, 04:52 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by commie
Anyone know if these types of 3rd party immobilizers and ignition cut off system have any impact to the car or Porsche warranty?
Looks like to get a full 100% rebate, CAA wants one of the following: CAN-Phantom, Ghost II, IGLA, or VIPER 3105V. In addition to the cost of installing one of these, I am not sure what impact it will have with Porsche warranty?
What I find interesting is that when I called to find out why my wife's Lexus was increasing so much compared to my Macan the insurance agent said that the Macan had a factory immobilizer, so it received a credit for that.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:33 PM
Gygeneral
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by commie
Anyone know if these types of 3rd party immobilizers and ignition cut off system have any impact to the car or Porsche warranty?
Looks like to get a full 100% rebate, CAA wants one of the following: CAN-Phantom, Ghost II, IGLA, or VIPER 3105V. In addition to the cost of installing one of these, I am not sure what impact it will have with Porsche warranty?
When I checked with TAG they said they don't tap in at all in the vehicles systems, its a stand alone unit or units. From the sounds of it they hide multiple units throughout the car. It does have a 5 year life maybe this is why.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:26 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Gygeneral
When I checked with TAG they said they don't tap in at all in the vehicles systems, its a stand alone unit or units. From the sounds of it they hide multiple units throughout the car. It does have a 5 year life maybe this is why.
Does this system just track location or driving habits as well?
Old 05-23-2024, 09:14 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Does this system just track location or driving habits as well?
No, it is a third party tracking device only. They hide a couple of small trackers in the vehicle, etch some key parts and the side windows with this tag logo (that is the only part that I don't like). If the car is stolen, you report it to the police and get a case number. Then you call Tag and give them the case number and they track the car. Their staff will find the car and then call police to attend. A car that was stolen in my neighborhood last month was located by tag and recovered within 4 hours.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:30 AM
Gygeneral
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
No, it is a third party tracking device only. They hide a couple of small trackers in the vehicle, etch some key parts and the side windows with this tag logo (that is the only part that I don't like). If the car is stolen, you report it to the police and get a case number. Then you call Tag and give them the case number and they track the car. Their staff will find the car and then call police to attend. A car that was stolen in my neighborhood last month was located by tag and recovered within 4 hours.
I don't like that either, I guess they want the thief to see it, but its bigger than I imagined. I will be getting my Ram done to get out from this premium but I could see that this etch will not be liked for the P crowd or any other high end sports car
Old 05-23-2024, 09:37 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

We got it done last summer, but to be honest, I never looked at the etching until this morning when I saw this post. It is much bigger than I expected, but it doesn't really stand out unless you look for it. That said, I would never out that on a P-car.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:55 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
No, it is a third party tracking device only.
So it doesn't track speed/braking, this is good to know.

Interesting reading...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-watching.html

Last edited by .2PDK; 05-23-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:30 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

So it doesn't track speed/braking, this is good to know.

Interesting reading...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-watching.html
It may not track speed now but the equipment and software are fully capable of doing so, all it takes is a flip of the software switch.

The usual SOP is to get you to sign up now then maybe after 1 year or 2, you will receive a notice for a change in the "term of use" which nobody ever read before clicking ok, then you are fack

Last edited by lowbee; 05-23-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:40 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I think I posted this before, but some of reasons these vehicles are in the top 10 stolen are the following:

1- Easy to fence - lots of them on the roads and in demand. Nothing to do with taste in automotive tech and design! 🤣
2- Available in almost every global market. Looking at where some of these end up, you need to look and see what brand and models are popular there and possibly difficult to get new. The new "owners" of these stolen vehicle want to be able to service them too!
3- Easy to steal - keyless access tech varies greatly from mfg to mfg. With many of these "hot" vehicles, the rolling code tech is equivalent to setting your password to "password"!
Some mfg (notably BMW/MINI: my client so I know a thing or two about their tech) have used a dormancy feature since 2018 in the ID transmitter (key fob) which after 2mins of stillness, stops transmitting until awakened by movement. Many regular fobs emit a signal every few secs to see if the receiver (car) is nearby. Thieves working in pairs, have 1 guy stand near your house door and the other near the car and capture the signal and relay it to their coding device.
4-Some mfg. make accessing the CAN bus very easy (Lexus, Land Rover) from an entry point via the exterior.
5- Yes manual transmissions are not popular targets (unless it's joy riders/crimes of opportunity). It's amazing to me to see how many Car Sales people do not know how to drive manuals nowadays; and I only deal with premium/luxury brands! 😳
6-Hybrids/EVs, low targets... see point #2

In the end, if a thief really wants your vehicle, it doesn't matter what you do, they'll get it eventually.

Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk!

Last edited by pongobaz; 05-23-2024 at 10:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ronnie993tt (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 10:41 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Most of the info on that thread is pure conjecture and BS written by people who have no idea what they are talking about and have never seen the Tag contract. The Tag contract is between the car owner and Tag - the insurance company is not involved nor named and has no legal access to any data. Tag is not in the driver behaviour tracking business they are in the theft recovery business. People confuse apps like "Ajusto" for "Tag". Ajusto is the app that tracks speed, distance, breaking , acceleration etc. that is offered by insurance companies. It is downloaded to a smart phone - there are no tracking devices installed in the car.

Anyone who isn't comfortable with Tag has the option of paying higher premiums and foregoing the devices. I initially balked at getting it, but then after speaking with Tag and reading the contract I decided that there was no downside other than that ugly etching.
The following 2 users liked this post by Onami:
eyedoc (05-23-2024), pongobaz (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 01:55 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I read the contract too Mark and I'd have no trouble putting TAG in a "quickly driven" SUV in spite of the etching, but not on a high-end sports car, especially a classic. I asked TAG if they could do a sticker but etching, was the only option.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:09 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Ha! I asked them the same thing, Ronnie! That part doesn't make sense to me since the etching itself isn't a deterrent - just a warning. Maybe they are afraid that people will copy the sticker? Oh well, I'm with you 100%. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that more of these initiatives are going to be "offered" by our insurance companies if the governments don't get auto thefts under control.

Quick Reply: High theft risk premium surcharge insurance?