Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:42 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)

I am getting new company car and the dealership asked if our insurance company requires them to install a TAG tracking system. Since it is a company vehicle, I do not but when asked my insurance company responded as follows:

This type of tracking system is designed mostly for personal insurance, as it is used to track the driving habits of the vehicle owner (e.g. breaking patterns, time of day spent driving, speed, distances, hours at which the driver is at the wheel, etc.) and would allow the insurance company to build a driver profile and give premium credits (if applicable) with respect to good driving habits

When I bought my 911GTS my insurance company required me to install the TAG system and send them proof of the install (which shows the account # on the form). Now, while I want the police to be able to track my 911 if stolen I am not at all interested in having my insurance company, or anyone else for that matter tracking my driving habits.

Any thoughts, comments?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:48 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

So when you track your car, is the system going to send the insurance company data showing the repeated hard braking from 115-50mph over and over all day long? LOL

Last edited by 3Series; 08-31-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:58 PM
thin_concrete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure the first time you go 36 in a 35mph zone those awesome credits are thrown out the window. Good luck driving on the highway.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
So when you track your car, is the system going to send the insurance company data showing the repeated hard breaking from 115-50mph over and over all day long? LOL
I can see it now!
Get a phone call insurance drops you. Or better yet your rate tripples.

Its like those USB ones they install and say it just checks the mileage but will also gather other data that will get you "good driver rate discounts"

Old 08-29-2015, 12:51 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I'm offered that option everytime I renew my policy.
With the way I drive, No Thanks, that's a discount that I do not want.
Get the F off my vehicle...
Old 08-29-2015, 02:17 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I'd vote with my dollar and seek another insurance company. You can rest assured that the data will never work to your advantage but rather be used as a means to deny coverage should an accident occur. "Ladies and gentleman of the jury: you can see from the data provided as exhibit 24c that there is a history of reckless driving."

No thanks. Not that I advocate speeding and reckless behavior, but the data doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:24 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

I have USAA. When I added my 997, they said enjoy the car.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:50 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Which insurance companies, ask for such TAG's.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:40 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Lahainabry
I have USAA. When I added my 997, they said enjoy the car.
+1
Old 08-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardB
I am getting new company car and the dealership asked if our insurance company requires them to install a TAG tracking system. Since it is a company vehicle, I do not but when asked my insurance company responded as follows:

This type of tracking system is designed mostly for personal insurance, as it is used to track the driving habits of the vehicle owner (e.g. breaking patterns, time of day spent driving, speed, distances, hours at which the driver is at the wheel, etc.) and would allow the insurance company to build a driver profile and give premium credits (if applicable) with respect to good driving habits

When I bought my 911GTS my insurance company required me to install the TAG system and send them proof of the install (which shows the account # on the form). Now, while I want the police to be able to track my 911 if stolen I am not at all interested in having my insurance company, or anyone else for that matter tracking my driving habits.

Any thoughts, comments?
Can't have it both ways. If you want the promise (lure of at any rate) low insurance premiums based on your driving score and elect to have a tracking device installed which monitors/collects driving telemetry used to arrive at this score you can't complain about the company tracking your driving habits.

Get insurance with your current insurance company that just has a set premium for the coverage you require or get your car insurance through another company that doesn't require the tracking device be installed.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd never heard of any Ins company requiring that system. I'd be dropping them and seeking a new insurer in a heartbeat. My company (State Farm) offers it but says that not very many people sign up for it.

I don't believe it works like a Lojack, they're not tracking your car if it's stolen.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM
upier
Racer

Default TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)

Originally Posted by CAVU
+1
+1 USAA
Old 08-31-2015, 03:10 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

TAG tracking? don't think I would do it.
But all that information is on file in the cars black box.
And I guess on your cell phone, WAZE, G00GLE traffic, XM ???
Its all there. Just not used.... yet, against you.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I'd never heard of any Ins company requiring that system. I'd be dropping them and seeking a new insurer in a heartbeat. My company (State Farm) offers it but says that not very many people sign up for it.

I don't believe it works like a Lojack, they're not tracking your car if it's stolen.
A couple of years ago when I worked on these devices for some insurance companies there was no location info being used, just driving behavior.

Just wrapped up work on one that doesn't use OBD2 speed (and possibly other telemetry) to arrive at a driving score, just GPS speed, thus it can work with any vehicle, even your golf cart, lawnmower, boat and so on...But it can track one's location.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:44 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

The insurance company is Aviva. Forgot to mention that TAG Tracking is a Canadian company: http://tagtracking.ca

As someone mentioned I suspect any insurance company can get hold of tracking data one way or another.

Quick Reply: TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)