Notices

To PPF or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024 | 06:10 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

No, I didn't do the front windshield because it is laminated glass and is treated for UVB/UVA rays. Windshields let very little UV into the cabin. The other glass in the car does not receive the same treatment and is not laminated, so it lets the most UV in.
Old 08-22-2024 | 06:26 PM
kwazi7
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08 Mac Cab TT
Did you do the front windshield? It's the biggest window that lets in UV rays to the dash and front of the seats.. I'm a dark tint lover so I did 15% all around but 70% on the windshield.. In hindsight, I wish I did 50% on the windshield since the 70% is not even noticeable.. Even when i tell people the windshield is tinted with 70% they are surprised because it's so clear.. I have full leather dash so windshield tint is a must in my books...
15%??? how do you drive at night? You sir must have very good vision :-)
Old 08-22-2024 | 07:43 PM
08 Mac Cab TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by kwazi7
15%??? how do you drive at night? You sir must have very good vision :-)
I'm used to it as I've been driving tinted cars like that for 30+ years.. Also, the darkness looking into the windows from the outside in is not the same darkness from inside out. It might be hard to see inside the car at night but it's definitely not hard to see out..
Old 08-22-2024 | 07:48 PM
08 Mac Cab TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Onami
No, I didn't do the front windshield because it is laminated glass and is treated for UVB/UVA rays. Windshields let very little UV into the cabin. The other glass in the car does not receive the same treatment and is not laminated, so it lets the most UV in.
even though its treated for UVB/UVA rays, not sure the percentage level of protection it provides, tint is usually 99%+.. For me its also the heat rejection the tint provides, it makes a noticeable difference when using film on the windshield...
The following users liked this post:
Onami (08-22-2024)
Old 08-24-2024 | 11:04 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Picked the car up yesterday…looks great and has some new plate covers!

The following 3 users liked this post by Onami:
Greg981 (08-24-2024), RealityGT (08-29-2024), vern1 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-29-2024 | 11:00 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Refinery does tinted windows????

Also, 70% is quite light - why so little? why do tint at all?
Yes, we offer XPEL tint as well.

When using a premium ceramic tint (like XPEL Prime XR), the UV and IR rejecting characteristics are a property of the material - not the color. The film provides ~75-85% IR heat rejection and 100% UV rejection across the range of shades (ie 70% -> 20%). So you can choose whatever LOOK you're going for and still get significant heat rejection. That's why we typically use 70% for the windshield since it has virtually no color, but still offers good IR heat rejection.

This is NOT true of cheaper dyed film tint, which is essentially cosmetic only.

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 08-29-2024 | 11:05 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, windshields are good at UV filtering from the factory. The benefit of ceramic tint on the windshield is for IR heat rejection. Just helps keep the cabin more comfortable, and you feel less heat on your skin when driving into the sun.
Old 08-29-2024 | 11:11 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Exactly! I hate tint, but need UV protection due to previous sun damage. Yes, the Refinery does tint also. My Macan S is tinted at 70% also.
Bah I assumed he didn't as it's not listed anywhere and never mentioned. I'm taking my car tomorrow to get done. But I have not decided at the level. I prefer uniform tho.. thinking between 35 and 45%. White car so I really want the contrast but I also don't want the drug dealer look :-)

Plus the tint will help hide the ugly metal finish behind the seats because I didn't spring for the leather backing since I didn't think it would be noticeable. D'oh.[/QUOTE]

The most popular tint shades are:
- 20% (for the darkest look)
- 35% (for a noticeably darker look, but you can still see silhouettes inside the car from outside)
- 50% (looks slightly darkened, almost twilight looking)

As mentioned previously by 08 Mac Cab TT, the tint does look darker from the outside than it does when looking out from the inside. So the visibility with 20% is still quite good. Think of the factory window tone on the rear windows of a typical SUV. They look really dark from the outside, but the visibility is still good from inside even at night.
Old 08-29-2024 | 11:15 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Full body PPF…check!
70% Tint on side windows…check!
Finish off with a nice coat of wax…check!

It's a beauty! And it will be SO much easier to maintain with the PPF. As we all know, black paint picks up scratches and swirls incredibly easily. The PPF will not show any of these tiny incidental marks from touching, washing, driving. And any more significant scuffs can be resolved by the self-healing properties of the PPF (just add heat!).
Old 08-31-2024 | 12:30 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks Gerard! One of the main reasons I decided to do full body PPF was for swirl protection given that black shows every mark!

Quick Reply: To PPF or not?