Notices

" you shoudl take your car to the track .. "

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 06:34 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

Well if you buy a 911 GT3 RS or similar car it's not a huge leap to think the owner might be interested in driving it at speed... hence the "you should take it to the track" comments. I've probably been guilty of saying that but I'm not flexing on anyone. I legitimately want others to experience the fun I've had...
The following 4 users liked this post by uniquenamehere:
Nate Tempest (05-31-2024), RealityGT (05-14-2024), stomish (05-14-2024), UncleDude (05-25-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:43 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 101 Posts

Haven't we had this discussion with all the same people once already?

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...insurance.html
The following 2 users liked this post by JustinL:
RealityGT (05-14-2024), SToronto (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:16 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,032 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I posted it for several reasons

Firstly anything can happen at speed on the track and this is a result. No one should be told " you should take your car to the track" , as this is what can happen. it is NOT a decision to be taken lightly. Someone else should not be "helping" you make that decision.

You seem to surmise that people don't track their car because they can not " handle" it, that is the low key "flex"of which i speak, that of course didn't go unnoticed by anyone . People buy cars for different reasons, and just because they choose not to risk their machine at the track has nothing to do if they can "handle it " or not,

Also I would say ":statistics" for the most part are fabricated by the person who wants them in their favour. ill take a hundred random cars on the road and you take a 100 cars on the track , lets see who crashes first .. you are losing..

Sounds more like you have a weird insecurity than someone is trying to flex on you. You should stay at home in your bubble and not take suggestions from anymore, God forbid you try the cherry cheesecake and choke on a cherry pit.

Enjoy the safety of your cars and coffee

The following 4 users liked this post by Angryinch:
distracteddev (05-26-2024), M&Abanker4life (05-18-2024), RealityGT (05-14-2024), VaderCab (05-29-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 07:34 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 428 Posts

Entirely personal decision and I have no criticism of those who choose to track or not.

In general I have a strong preference for tracking in Europe as I dislike the whole open window / hand-signalling standards here. This is just how I grew up there. Understand all the safety aspects.

Every few years I either get a Euro delivery or ship a car over and have a few weeks fun on the tracks . Mostly the car comes back in one piece but not guaranteed. I am not too worried about the risk.

We are all different and make our own decisions.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:41 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

^One good thing about driving in europe is that if you wreck, your insurance company here doesn't cancel you
Old 05-14-2024, 07:52 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reacp911
^One good thing about driving in europe is that if you wreck, your insurance company here doesn't cancel you
There are some variations:

Years ago I had a fair-sized accident with a new Euro delivery car on a track . Manufacturer delivery insurance covered it.

Track insurance otherwise
is pretty iffy. Was informed last time at Spa that most insurance would not cover it and several cars were w/o that day.

As always be aware of the risks.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:24 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 740 Posts

What's wrong with suggesting to somebody that they should try taking their car to the track? It truly is the only place to experience the capabilities of the car.

If they don't want to for xyz reason, then so be it. But nothing wrong with suggesting it and then providing some insight into what that's like if they are interested. Up to the person to do their own research, lots of resources out there to easily help understand it.

You can run with DriveTeq with windows up and no hand signals (use vehicle indicators).
The following 2 users liked this post by SToronto:
RealityGT (05-14-2024), VaderCab (05-29-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:30 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

The number of times i have heard this from" track people" . Now i just laugh ..

A total stranger telling me what " should " do... like its a weird flex.

Kinda feel bad for this guy , but it is what it is.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...th-fixing.html
The OP of that thread is asking the forum whether he should buy the wrecked car and reap the savings. If the cost to repair makes sense. What is wrong with that? Somewhat smart if the math works out, lower cost highly capable track car if can be repaired properly.

If you are referring to the owner of the car (which is not the OP of that thread)....wow what judgement. Maybe they are totally alright with the result. Maybe they have obvious disappointment, who wants to wreck a car (it's not demo derby).

The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:27 AM
Adam144
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

To me the car is a tool.

So buying an expensive tool that has lots of potential and capabilities and then not using it is silly to me.

It would be like spending $400 on a titanium STILETTO framing hammer. The hammer isn't impressive, what you build with it and the story it tells is.

If you just want to keep it mint, not use it, and hang it from your brand new leather tool belt loop on your hip while hanging out at the local Tim Horton's to show off that you spent $400 on a hammer, yeah people will think you're a blowhard and nobody cares.

"neat hammer".
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam144:
stomish (05-14-2024), VaderCab (05-29-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam144
To me the car is a tool.

So buying an expensive tool that has lots of potential and capabilities and then not using it is silly to me…
Tracking would be more like using the hammer in a throwing sport than hammering nails. Street cars are mainly for the street.

On the other hand, there is a difference between a GT3RS and a base 911.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:30 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
The OP of that thread is asking the forum whether he should buy the wrecked car and reap the savings. If the cost to repair makes sense. What is wrong with that? Somewhat smart if the math works out, lower cost highly capable track car if can be repaired properly.

If you are referring to the owner of the car (which is not the OP of that thread)....wow what judgement. Maybe they are totally alright with the result. Maybe they have obvious disappointment, who wants to wreck a car (it's not demo derby).
I think we do not know the cause of the accident however so I would hesitate to blame the driver, about whom we know nothing..I have seen a couple pf bad ones where another driver was at fault.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:32 AM
Adam144
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Tracking would be more like using the hammer in a throwing sport than hammering nails. Street cars are mainly for the street.

On the other hand, there is a difference between a GT3RS and a base 911.
And there's a difference between a Stiletto and an Estwing.

Performance cars can only demonstrate the potential of their performance safely and effectivley on a track.

Regardless of driving ability there are too many other factors to atttempt it on public roads.

No different than having an offshore boat with 1200 horsepower that never leaves the harbour.

Different strokes, do whatever you want.

Last edited by Adam144; 05-14-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:54 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 200 Posts

I’m the opposite of the OP, people have suggested that I take my cars to the track for a long time. Just before Covid I decided to try it, now I wished that I had done it earlier. I feel I’ve really improved as a driver and have learned so much more about driving and my car. It’s not just about driving fast, it’s also have learning the other nuances about my cars (and cars in general) and how they behave under certain conditions. Driving on track has also made me a better defensive driver too (ie. Visibility, reaction time, etc…).

To the OP, if you haven’t tried it, maybe you should, there are many ways to do it (even a Porsche Centre Experience is good or Autox) and I’m not telling you to do anything, merely suggesting it, b/c I’ve benefited from it and I think others could as well.
Porsche cowboy (05-26-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:56 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 378 Posts

I posted it for several reasons

Firstly anything can happen at speed on the track and this is a result. No one should be told " you should take your car to the track" , as this is what can happen. it is NOT a decision to be taken lightly. Someone else should not be "helping" you make that decision.

You seem to surmise that people don't track their car because they can not " handle" it, that is the low key "flex"of which i speak, that of course didn't go unnoticed by anyone . People buy cars for different reasons, and just because they choose not to risk their machine at the track has nothing to do if they can "handle it " or not,

Also I would say ":statistics" for the most part are fabricated by the person who wants them in their favour. ill take a hundred random cars on the road and you take a 100 cars on the track , lets see who crashes first .. you are losing..
I did not mean it as a "flex", but to say some people don't like roller coasters and I don't think any less of them. as a matter of fact they probably excel in other areas better than me. we are all wired different and that could be a reason (motion sickness) for not going to track, not just scared to write off the car. I was pointing out that it is not for every one. Didn't mean if you don't track you are not worthy. And yes I fully understand financial obligations such as family etc may limit ones ability to risk their car, and don't look down on that either.
BUT if you are in a position to "take your Porsche to the track" it is a lot of fun and nobody is really telling you, they are simply suggesting you may enjoy it like they do, same as if they saw a movie and said you should go see the new movie, they are not telling you, that you have to go.
once again different strokes for different folks, and I don't look down on anyone that doesn't track just think they are missing out on a lot of fun and can utilize the current technology in these cars and tracks. similar to people that refuse to fly in an airplane too...they are missing out.
SToronto (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDMcG
I think we do not know the cause of the accident however so I would hesitate to blame the driver, about whom we know nothing..I have seen a couple pf bad ones where another driver was at fault.
Exactly. Which is why I find the judgement...wow inducing. Could be the weather, other driver, animal, other vehicle spill, driver lack of skill etc. I doubt people go to the track totally glib on the consequences of driving on a track. I don't. I'm sure there's varying degrees of thought but to each their own.

Seems to me some need to defend why they don't track. They shouldn't feel that way, it's their choice. On the flip, people should be ok with other people's choices. Tracking is not for all. But certainly nothing wrong with discussing it if you don't know each's position on the topic.

Last edited by SToronto; 05-14-2024 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: " you shoudl take your car to the track .. "