Noise Vilator in Stock Porsche gets 800.00 USD ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 04:04 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Wow, brutal. This I didn't know.
iirc they dont even give you a second chance anymore. You break sound and its day over
Old 05-13-2024, 04:05 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i think if they stick to the " no modified vehicles" im okay with it .. i don't want ridiculous crackle tunes and straight piped anything. I'm perfectly okay with anyone getting ticketed or towed , because they want to sound cool so modified the exhaust.

But this ridiculousness of ticketing stock cars is crazy, go fix it at the front end, if its federalized as good from the manufacturer into the country , then leave them alone.

This is a "charter challenge" i would get behind .. lol
The crackle tunes and overly loud Harleys with pipes is why these soundmeters get installed. The community does it to themselves
Old 05-13-2024, 04:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
The crackle tunes and overly loud Harleys with pipes is why these soundmeters get installed. The community does it to themselves
agree 100%

They feel they have the right to do whatever they want .. fair enough , the people who have more numbers ,, decide they have a right to try and stop it, so guess who loses..
Old 05-13-2024, 04:23 PM
Thicc911Turbo
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I feel like they're moving the goalposts by apparently applying rules that weren't in place at the time of the car's manufacture. It'd be like if, in the darkest days of Drive Clean, they'd apply 2024 emissions level standards to a car built in 2002.

Also, sound level limits are, as far as I know, different at WOT than when cruising. My Tuono has a valve in the exhaust path expressly there to quiet the exhaust down when pootling around town. But when you open it up the valve opens and you'd get more poWah and more sound. And this was fully street legal on a European designed- and built motorcycle from 2017.

Now it feels like they're throwing these distinctions away and just saying "if you're louder than XdB you're breaking the law", even though the vehicle in question was fully compliant at the time of its manufacture. Worse, it seems like this is a city-by-city thing; if the dude moved to Schenectady or Cooperstown a different set of rules might apply.

This is a microcosm of why people are increasingly hating government...
Old 05-13-2024, 04:30 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Just set it to get the Harley riders first, and I'm open to it...
Just do what bikers do. Bend your license plate up so it can't be photographed!
Old 05-13-2024, 04:55 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
LCMT has had strict sound rules for nearly 20 years at this point. Stock GT3 can easily bust sound there these days, even worse on a day with low cloud cover. The sound monitoring system is “wired” directly to either cityhall or the police station directly.
^This..
I've been there numerous times and someone has been nailed every time.
Some of the GT3s run with a down turn tips and seem to be OK.
One of the guys that we travel with got a warning with an Elise
Old 05-13-2024, 06:49 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Thicc911Turbo
It'd be like if, in the darkest days of Drive Clean, they'd apply 2024 emissions level standards to a car built in 2002.
Every car I had tested blew 1 or 2 % of the allowable limits, even my '95 saturn was well under the limit and it was burning a liter of oil every 200 (!) km, so I'd say the standards were lax

Last edited by reacp911; 05-13-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:39 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Thicc911Turbo

This is a microcosm of why people are increasingly hating government...
I didn't realize this was a thing...
The following users liked this post:
997turbocab (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:25 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

when I first saw this post, I thought a "Vilator" was one of those things that pumped engine noise into the interior of you car for sporty effect
Old 05-14-2024, 12:41 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
when I first saw this post, I thought a "Vilator" was one of those things that pumped engine noise into the interior of you car for sporty effect
That sounds like a decent plan... if you want a loud car or truck to express yourself, pump the exhaust back in the cabin. That would likely solve several problems, not just the noise.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by reacp911
i know right ? wish i could edit the title lol
Old 05-14-2024, 12:48 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Calabogie also has a 92 dBa pass-by limit for HPDE events.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I guess what concerns us all as mentioned earlier ... a few bad actors ruins it for everyone.. Ridiculous noise out of a few, then the ban hammer comes down and impacts everyone. That's why people who think these guys are car "enthusiasts" should think again..
it is absolutely ridiculous a stock car should be receiving tickets. If they think a stock car is too loud ( as in government) they should halt import into the country . If it passes that , the Feds should come down on municipalities and say sorry .. we approved it .. move on
Old 05-14-2024, 02:47 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

I agree 100% that a few bad actors are ruining it for everyone. However, stock exhaust or not, no one needs to drive the cars in full-on audio assault mode and/or bouncing off the rev limiter on residential streets or in urban areas. I have yet to see or hear a car with an OEM exhaust that would break the noise limit when driven at normal engine speeds around town (~3500 rpm and below) with the "I'm-an-a$$hole" mode muffler bypass or pops and farts disabled.

The argument that "it is absolutely ridiculous a stock car should be receiving tickets - If they think a stock car is too loud ( as in government) they should halt import into the country" leads to a rather slippery slope. That's no different than saying "the highest speed limit anywhere in Canada is 120 km/h, therefore all cars should be limited to 120 km/h or they should not be sold here". Should we completely ban Porsches seeing as no one needs that kind of performance? Where do you draw the line?

It is up to the drivers to respect the limits where they exist and for the constabulary to enforce it. I have absolutely ZERO issues with people driving with their exhaust wide open on the 407 or doing 140 km/h (or for that matter, 200 km/h provided that other criteria have been met - namely having much more stringent driver education, vehicle safety inspections every year and mercilessly going after the passing lane hoggers or those that will pull out into the passing lane doing 80 km/h). I have a huge issue with people revving the snot out of their cars every time they set off from a stop sign or a traffic light in a residential area or are doing 60 km/h in a 30 km/h zone. There is a difference, and people fit to live in a civilized society know that. As for the bad actors that don't and are ruining it for everyone, they should indeed be penalized.
The following users liked this post:
Fastboy (05-22-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 05:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 928gt
I agree 100% that a few bad actors are ruining it for everyone. However, stock exhaust or not, no one needs to drive the cars in full-on audio assault mode and/or bouncing off the rev limiter on residential streets or in urban areas. I have yet to see or hear a car with an OEM exhaust that would break the noise limit when driven at normal engine speeds around town (~3500 rpm and below) with the "I'm-an-a$$hole" mode muffler bypass or pops and farts disabled.

The argument that "it is absolutely ridiculous a stock car should be receiving tickets - If they think a stock car is too loud ( as in government) they should halt import into the country" leads to a rather slippery slope. That's no different than saying "the highest speed limit anywhere in Canada is 120 km/h, therefore all cars should be limited to 120 km/h or they should not be sold here". Should we completely ban Porsches seeing as no one needs that kind of performance? Where do you draw the line?

It is up to the drivers to respect the limits where they exist and for the constabulary to enforce it. I have absolutely ZERO issues with people driving with their exhaust wide open on the 407 or doing 140 km/h (or for that matter, 200 km/h provided that other criteria have been met - namely having much more stringent driver education, vehicle safety inspections every year and mercilessly going after the passing lane hoggers or those that will pull out into the passing lane doing 80 km/h). I have a huge issue with people revving the snot out of their cars every time they set off from a stop sign or a traffic light in a residential area or are doing 60 km/h in a 30 km/h zone. There is a difference, and people fit to live in a civilized society know that. As for the bad actors that don't and are ruining it for everyone, they should indeed be penalized.
actually its not at all the same .. Cars have to meet government standards to be imported, DRLs, seat belts, child anchors and yes Noise abatement standards.. once that is set im saying you shouldn't be allowed to crank it down even more, once the feds have decided this is allowable.

Quick Reply: Noise Vilator in Stock Porsche gets 800.00 USD ticket