Notices

Extending warranty on a 991.2 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 11:29 AM
whuht
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 987981
I was told oil changes can be done on your own. I keep the receipts and log any maintenance.

I think major maintenance needs to be done at a dealer before the renewal though, too bad that cannot be DIY.
I'll let you guys know what I am advised but it would be nice to be able to do my own minor maintenance work... it's a labour of love!
Old 03-09-2024, 11:40 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

my CPO is ending in July. I have thought a lot about whether or not I should plunk down $4k or $6k to extend it for 2 or 3 years. I decided not to, and I have added the softronic tune and DSC suspension controller in accord with that decision. I guess that the bottom line of my logic is this: the car has been absolutely perfect since I bought it almost 2 years ago with only 20k kms on the clock. it is very likely that any problems that come up will occur after the next 2-3 year period expires and I will then have to renew again and see if bad happens then in that period. what I have read in a lot of threads and posts is that most expensive problems appear to be happening mostly to 991.1s, but of course there are exceptions. if that translates into the 991.2s in a few years I will have saved at least $12k in 6 years extended CPO plus the money saved by not having to do the CPO inspection and maintenance twice and by not going by the dealer maintenance schedule at the dealer which could add up to another $12k over the 6 years. done deal.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:48 AM
whuht
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rensoyka
my CPO is ending in July. I have thought a lot about whether or not I should plunk down $4k or $6k to extend it for 2 or 3 years. I decided not to, and I have added the softronic tune and DSC suspension controller in accord with that decision. I guess that the bottom line of my logic is this: the car has been absolutely perfect since I bought it almost 2 years ago with only 20k kms on the clock. it is very likely that any problems that come up will occur after the next 2-3 year period expires and I will then have to renew again and see if bad happens then in that period. what I have read in a lot of threads and posts is that most expensive problems appear to be happening mostly to 991.1s, but of course there are exceptions. if that translates into the 991.2s in a few years I will have saved at least $12k in 6 years extended CPO plus the money saved by not having to do the CPO inspection and maintenance twice and by not going by the dealer maintenance schedule at the dealer which could add up to another $12k over the 6 years. done deal.
Thanks for sharing your perspective and experience rensoyka. This might be relatable as I have already started researching the Softtronic tune and would like to do my own minors maintenance work. Maybe I'll opt for 2-years as this car will be new-to-me and the intial ownership period might reveal some issues.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:49 AM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rensoyka
I agree.
If you don't have PDK then likely not worth it. 991.2 big ticket items appear to be PDK and turbos.
how do you like the softtronic tune? Heard it's amazing for 991.2.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:22 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whuht
Thanks for sharing your perspective and experience rensoyka. This might be relatable as I have already started researching the Softtronic tune and would like to do my own minors maintenance work. Maybe I'll opt for 2-years as this car will be new-to-me and the intial ownership period might reveal some issues.
my car came with 2 year CPO when I bought it so I'm figuring that any bad issues would have already surfaced. CPO was my requirement on the car that I decided to purchase. I just don't see the financial gain by extending it another 3-6 years. all cars eventually have issues.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:27 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cityfisher
I agree.
If you don't have PDK then likely not worth it. 991.2 big ticket items appear to be PDK and turbos.
how do you like the softtronic tune? Heard it's amazing for 991.2.
my car came with PDK, love the paddles. most problems in the PDK appear to be sensors and companies are coming out with aftermarket parts that preclude having to replace the whole unit. as for the turbos, anything is possible, but my car has never seen snow so waste gate actuator corrosion isn't a worry to me. the tune is fantastic, naturally only when you want boost. however it's nice to have part boost at 1/4 throttle instead of 1/2 throttle, even if it's only 4 or 5 psi. 1/2-3/4 throttle now gives full boost, 15 psi instead of 13 psi. zoom zoom.
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (03-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Extending warranty on a 991.2 C2S