Notices

"We do not install customer supplied parts" - is this the norm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Most shops make a nice markup on the parts they install on your vehicle, it all adds up to their profit margin !
I personally would not install a customer’s parts and give a warranty, i used to service cars a while back and i learned my lesson …

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-05-2024, 09:16 PM
whuht
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah he should have parked his fancy paper around the corner before getting a quote.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:57 PM
toastedhalfbagel
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I understand the rationale behind installing only shop-provided parts, in particular if they're providing warranty and standing behind their work.
I just wanted to check whether or not this is common practice, and it seems to be not an uncommon practice.
I don't doubt there's a markup/profit to this as well, but I guess that's just the cost of taking it to a shop instead of a DIY.

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
With that policy I guess they don't need more business.
I have supplied my own parts to numerous shops over the years (Porsche and Audi).
If a shop outright refuses to work on the car for that reason then I know that's not the right place for me.

Where abouts do you live?
I'm in North York, so not too many reputable shops around here unless I'm willing to drive further out.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:45 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Re: common/uncommon I think there's some level of discretion involved.

If you have a long standing relationship with a shop, you know the tech/owner and you supply a part from a reputable source, they'll probably work with you.

If you're a first-timer off the street clutching some knock-off part from eBay, they'll naturally worry that if the part fails the lack of any previous relationship runs the risk of an irate customer/negative public reviews/legal headache they don't need.

The following users liked this post:
Bud Fox (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:59 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

OP,

I know you're driving a 25yr old car... but is the water pump giving you any issues? leaks?

It's not like it's going to have a maintenance schedule on something that's that old with only 60K miles on it.

Is it new to you?

(I have a brand new WP for my '01 Boxster that's been sitting on the shelf for over the past 10yrs...) Original one just keeps going. I have about 160K km on it. I got the car back in 2008ish.

Quick Reply: "We do not install customer supplied parts" - is this the norm?