Notices

Does Hunter mount/balance tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 09:41 AM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Yes, just finalizing everything now. A bunch of misunderstandings based primarily on Orbit being swamped at the time of the ppi and me thinking that they were giving the repair quote to the current owner to discuss with me. He thought that they were giving the quote to me and was waiting on me to contact him! I assumed that he didn't want to cover the repairs as we had discussed and that's why I hadn't heard from him. He reached out yesterday just to close the loop and that's when we discovered what was going on. I talked to Orbit again and they said that the car was a "time capsule" and felt that I would be hard pressed to find a better car. So, we agreed on a price and we are just doing the paperwork etc.
Oh great news! Congrats Mark! Can't wait to see this
Old 02-24-2024, 11:13 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Not sure Ronnie. When I called him 2 weeks ago we had a good chat about the car and the work I wanted to do. He was very nice, as usual, and told me to feel free to send him some pics. I did that, but never heard back from him. I called yesterday morning and left a detailed message, but haven’t heard back yet. So, maybe he isn’t interested after all? I’ve used Mantis in the past too, so maybe I’ll go that route.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:21 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Oh great news! Congrats Mark! Can't wait to see this
Thanks David! You are welcome to come over any time…plus it’s a good excuse to come pick up the lift pins I forgot to give you 😊

Last edited by Onami; 02-26-2024 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:46 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

I'd be surprised if he is not interested given the extent of work you are planning Mark. A friend of mine had over $10K of engine work done on his SC. Fabulous job but took 3 months.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:01 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

I've used both Mantis and Brett Hunter for my cars but you need to be patient with Brett and he is worth it. I like Mantis too and they have taken good care of me. If i'm not stuck in a bind, and for the sake of my own convenience, I'd go to Brett Hunter, but Mantis for me has been A+ now under Dirk and Jon's direction.

I think this purchase warrants a drool fest meet at onami's house.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:21 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I've used both Mantis and Brett Hunter for my cars but you need to be patient with Brett and he is worth it. I like Mantis too and they have taken good care of me. If i'm not stuck in a bind, and for the sake of my own convenience, I'd go to Brett Hunter, but Mantis for me has been A+ now under Dirk and Jon's direction.

I think this purchase warrants a drool fest meet at onami's house.
Thanks! I’m in Oakville 5 minutes from where the guys meet on Saturdays…you too are welcome any time!

I’ll see if Brent responds. I like him because he is very down-to-earth and speaks to me directly about my cars. I did use Mantis once since the new owners took over. No problems, but when I subsequently asked for a quote on my suspension for the tip, Heiko never even bothered to call me back after making the request directly with him on the phone. Mantis is much more convenient for me, though.

cab rear seats are weird!

Last edited by Onami; 02-26-2024 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Not sure Ronnie. When I called him 2 weeks ago we had a good chat about the car and the work I wanted to do. He was very nice, as usual, and told me to feel free to send him some pics. I did that, but never heard back from him. I called yesterday morning and left a detailed message, but haven’t heard back yet. So, maybe he isn’t interested after all? I’ve used Mantis in the past too, so maybe I’ll go that route.
I usually talk to him and then email to confirm date.

If you try elsewhere, there is also Pfaff Tuning with Nhu....she trained as classic tech under PCO long time classic porsche guy from europe (don't recall name) years ago (prepandemic) and has been working her own bay at PT with classic porsche focus.. I've used PT on a couple mods in the last 5 years on new cars, they were good. Even mailed out a part forgotten at the shop (small screws). Quick hop on the 407 dumps you right there. They can also provide loaner (for small fee).

Last edited by SToronto; 02-24-2024 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Onami (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 03:26 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Do I sense a 993 meet in Oakville?
Old 02-24-2024, 04:08 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

The more, the merrier!
Old 02-24-2024, 05:35 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks David! You are welcome to come over any time…plus it’s a good excuse to come pick up the lift pins I forgot to give you 😊
When do you take delivery of the car? I'll bring my 993 over too and we can nerd out on them...
Old 02-24-2024, 06:52 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
When do you take delivery of the car? I'll bring my 993 over too and we can nerd out on them...
Still waiting on TFX to send me the paperwork. Usually 6 - 8 weeks now. Probably another month after that for mechanical and paint correction etc. should be good to go just in time for the nice weather! Would love to see your car also. I can fit 6 993’s in my driveway…so we can accommodate 5 more😂

Last edited by Onami; 02-24-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:51 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
So, has Brent got some staff back? When he lost Ricky and the guy who did the oil changes, several of us found him to be a bit reluctant on the regular maintenance stuff and moved on. Henry was fabulous but retired during the dark times.
Last I was there he had Jack who is also very down to earth, capable, and learning all the best attributes from Brent.

Like others have said, need to be patient with Brent. He is usually swamped and can't always answer email/phone right away. Understand people's attention spans are now shorter than ever but we don't want our mechanics to rush.

He treats the person with a 944 the same as a Carrera GT.

I've walked in the shop at noon many times and everyone in the shop is under a car or deep into an engine.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 09:40 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Jack is awesome. He's taken great care of my car!

@Onami Heiko has since retired from Mantis, shortly after Dirk and Jon took ownership. I believe Jason has taken the helm and he used to be the service advisor at PCO and the response rate has improved significantly.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-24-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:55 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks BCRdukes!
Old 02-27-2024, 09:23 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Another update to the 993 Cab saga...the deal is not happening. We were finalizing the documents yesterday so I could wire him the full selling price and the seller refused to share his address with me. Even went as far as to black out the address on the copy of the title that he sent me for "security reasons", after specifically asking that I add my address to the bill of sale. I'm not sure how he expected me to wire him US$70k without his address for the wire documents. Or where should I send the truck? Just too strange. Every step of this deal was just a little off, from the odometer breaking, the PPI documents being incomplete, the 2 weeks of silence, no response from Brent or TFX after multiple messages. Too many issues, so I am happy that I decided to pass. Still a very nice car, but not one for me.

The silly thing about the address situation is that all of that info is public record in the US. A simple google search will show names, addresses, ages, how much your house cost and when you bought it. I knew all of that info for weeks...

Quick Reply: Does Hunter mount/balance tires?