Notices

Tagtracking.Ca ? Anyone been asked by insurance to implement this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 11:30 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
That guy with the car in the container in brampton and taking the police there and them doing nothing has hit social media for those of you who haven't seen it .. canadian Policing getting roasted for standing by letting it happen and doing nothing.
Does the OPP have rights to access the ports and inspect cargo containers? I'd imagine that was the RCMP jurisdiction...
I'm not really on social channels so I don't these posts.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Does the OPP have rights to access the ports and inspect cargo containers? I'd imagine that was the RCMP jurisdiction...
I'm not really on social channels so I don't these posts.
im not sure of the details, but no one would help the guy and it ultimately shipped out to dubai and ended up on a used car lot , he tracked it with his apple tag the whole way.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:00 PM
Vapordan
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 86 Posts

I want to put what I have learned out there, subject to correction of course.

DETERRENCE
Apple tags work thru other user devices or phones, so the tag needs to wait for a cell phone in the area before it can transmit device info thru the foreign device without end-user knowledge. That's why it isn't real time. Apple tags are not designed for theft detection, but misplace prevention and recovery. The tag will inform the thief that an airtag is close by and may allow the user/thief to ping it to find it. Apple tags, when used in this way, simply slow down the thief.

The other types of devices come on two flavors, self transmit or car transmit (these are my terms). Car transmit are wired to and use the car antennas to push a signal. Thieves simply pull the fuse for the antenna and let the car sit in a parking lot for a few hours before moving it into a container. The expensive device will be offline and untraceable during that period of time.

Self transmit are the ones that broadcast a signal from within the device. These are hidden somewhere in the car interior to make tracking difficult to find.

Deterrence devices usually use some sort of signal based on RFIDs. Those will usually penetrate iron containers. If the container starts moving (to a port of call, game over). Only 1% of containers are searched. Insurance prefers to write it off and pay you than go find it, clean it and recertify it for road use etc. They make back the cost on the premium increase.

PREVENTION
Immobilizers. Those prevent that car from getting stolen.

You need a 3 pronged approach: detection, prevention and luck-tion.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:06 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Vapordan
PREVENTION
Immobilizers. Those prevent that car from getting stolen.
Where can these be bought/installed?
Old 02-22-2024, 05:18 PM
Vapordan
Racer

Google IGLA alarm, or Ghost alarm. These are good and have other benefits like *** shutoff, Hijack alarm and bunch of other goodies. Install cost, you will get change back on $1300.
The following users liked this post:
.2PDK (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 05:55 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

OBD lockout hardware is important now. Common method is to plug in and replicate a new key that the thief has brought with them.
Brian 162 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 06:14 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

pretty sure that porsche fobs cannot be cloned except at the dealership. relay attack on entry/drive is much more common, biggest reason why I'll never buy a car with it.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:15 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rensoyka
pretty sure that porsche fobs cannot be cloned except at the dealership. relay attack on entry/drive is much more common, biggest reason why I'll never buy a car with it.
depends what's common in your area. Relay may not be most common. Though they are both methods.

Another is CAN bus.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:14 PM
Vapordan
Racer

Originally Posted by rensoyka
Nope, the signals are all clonable. Except there is a digital cert in there which would prevent the cloned key from working (authenticating). And even those can be copied if they really want the car.

The CAN bus alarms are the best. They can clone your signal all day long, the car just won’t start without a special hand shake. They can be compromised but it is a major hassle of locating the controller by scouting for the signal finding it and disabling it. Doable with a few hours on your hands but at this point it’s easier to take the neighbour’s car in 2 minutes.

Let’s blame the EU while we are here. They are the ones who legislated that all shops be able to service any brand of car. So, specialized dealer equipment to interrogate the car CPU began to make it into shady hands. And here we are!
Old 02-23-2024, 09:00 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

porsche key fobs that require a press of a button (not entry/drive) are not emitting a signal until pressed. even if they could intercept that code it will be rolled to the next one immediately and be useless to them.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:02 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I don't believe Porsche offers proximity lock/unlock. They did offer it as an option briefly on some model int he last 5 years, with a disclaimer on the configurator of relay theft.

Vehicles with proximity lock/unlock have fobs that are always transmitting. These are the ones susceptible to relay theft.
Rubystar (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 09:53 AM
Vapordan
Racer

Passive systems are also susceptible, get the facts here: web.stanford.edu/class/ee26n/Assignments/Assignment5.html
This link is a Stanford homework assignment discussing how to hack all of these fobs (to university students!!!).
Good read. For the uninitiated, skip down to section Attacking Passive Keyless Entry and Start (PKES) Systems
Old 02-28-2024, 12:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

garage .... dog.... dog door to garage
Vapordan (02-28-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:02 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 778 Posts

Insurance companies will be happy to hear Toronto police are suggesting folks leave their car keys by the front door to avoid violence.

They also recommend you focus on situational awareness when out and about to avoid being a victim.

We're getting there...
Old 03-15-2024, 08:07 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Insurance companies will be happy to hear Toronto police are suggesting folks leave their car keys by the front door to avoid violence.

They also recommend you focus on situational awareness when out and about to avoid being a victim.

We're getting there...
The city is a mess.. no question!

Quick Reply: Tagtracking.Ca ? Anyone been asked by insurance to implement this?