Notices

Tagtracking.Ca ? Anyone been asked by insurance to implement this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 10:21 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Exactly what Onami says … if your vehicle is stolen you contact the police which in turn will get in touch with the Tag outfit in your area and they will track the location of your car.
They etch a small TAG logo on your side windows, which might or might not deter a potential thief, but regardless the insurance discount is worth it !

Cheers
Phil
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (02-19-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:31 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

You actually contact Tag directly, not through the Police.

What do I do if my car gets stolen?

1. Contact the Tag Tracking Central immediately: You must contact the Tag Tracking Central immediately to advise us of the theft. The Tag Tracking Team will be dispatched within moments following your phone call. 2. Obtain an event number: You must also contact your local law enforcement agency to report the theft of your vehicle and obtain an event number which is required by us to proceed with tracking.

How will my vehicle be tracked and recovered if it is stolen?

Once we have been advised of the theft, we will dispatch our dedicated tracking team, who are on call 24/7, 365 days a year! Also terrain is not an issue. In the event of a theft, our Tracking Team have both emergency ground-based vehicles and light aircraft at their disposal if they should require them.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Exactly what Onami says … if your vehicle is stolen you contact the police which in turn will get in touch with the Tag outfit in your area and they will track the location of your car.
They etch a small TAG logo on your side windows, which might or might not deter a potential thief, but regardless the insurance discount is worth it !

Cheers
Phil
only works as good as the police in the area. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7096609

you are honestly better off self installed gps tracker or simple AirTag. Thief’s are so brazen now they don’t care about etched windows or tracking systems. If they want it it’s being taken in broad daylights. Our friends just had their CRV stolen at Fairview on a Sunday afternoon. 45 mins inside the malls… they took 5 CRVs within 10 mins. Cops were like “oh well wait 2 hours to file a report” then the insurance company treats you like the criminal

Last edited by Gregster; 02-13-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:02 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Speaking of tracking and airtags, does anyone know how to enable the air tags so the thief can't ping a noise and find it, or what is the best process in this regard?
as far as I know you can’t turn off the “AirTag detected” notification. Apple had to put it in for safety purposes..
Old 02-13-2024, 11:08 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Better off for me to use Tag...Insurance paid the $400 installation cost and I received a $400/year reduction in premiums. If I use my own tracker i get neither of those benefits.

Agree on the Police comments - especially if it is already on a container. The current MO appears to be for the thieves to take the car and park it fairly close by for a few hours. Then they return and complete the job. Maybe the reason for leaving it close by is to give it some time to determine if it is being tracked.
RealityGT (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 11:08 AM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
only works as good as the police in the area https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7096609

you are honestly better off self installed gps tracker or simple AirTag
no insurance discount...
RealityGT (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:21 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

only works as good as the police in the area. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7096609

you are honestly better off self installed gps tracker or simple AirTag. Thief’s are so brazen now they don’t care about etched windows or tracking systems. If they want it it’s being taken in broad daylights. Our friends just had their CRV stolen at Fairview on a Sunday afternoon. 45 mins inside the malls… they took 5 CRVs within 10 mins. Cops were like “oh well wait 2 hours to file a report” then the insurance company treats you like the criminal
Greg, i had two work colleagues from the West Island get their CRV and Acura RDX stolen out of their driveways , they had no tracking devices so there was basically no chance of getting their vehicles back before they’re loaded in a container at the port.Maybe some sort of tracking device would have helped, but either way the insurance discount covers part of the yearly wine and beer budget 😌
Good article in the Journal de Montreal last week on how to buy all the necessary car thief tools on Amazon …

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-13-2024, 09:39 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah there was once ..long ago .. when your driving record was private .... and could never be accessed by ins companies.... yeah .. those good old days of privacy..

i remember about 15 years ago a ins guy was at a PCA club meeting touting the benefits of these when they first came out ... he got roasted.. guy had ***** though to get up there ill give him that .

he actually stated they would not be used to gather your driving habits and it was your personal data they would never access. lol ..
I remember that night. I think it was at The Musket. He sat at my table. He was nice guy but he got eaten alive.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:06 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Greg, i had two work colleagues from the West Island get their CRV and Acura RDX stolen out of their driveways , they had no tracking devices so there was basically no chance of getting their vehicles back before they’re loaded in a container at the port.Maybe some sort of tracking device would have helped, but either way the insurance discount covers part of the yearly wine and beer budget 😌
Good article in the Journal de Montreal last week on how to buy all the necessary car thief tools on Amazon …

Cheers
Phil
a good client of mine has his SRT8 Jeep stolen from his driveway 3 times. It was only recovered the first time because of a bust. The second time they came for it at night and he was tracking them via a gps app. The cops on the phone told him don’t follow because it’s dangerous and we don’t have units in the area… it was ditched and he drove it home. 3rd time he was cooking dinner and heard his garage door open…. Truck start and backing up. He gave chase again and they ditched it again. After that he sold it.

Recovery even with tracking is extremely low. Much lower than that’s advertised. By the time it’s reported it’s already loaded and gone. My neighbours RDX was taken and I have it on camera. They had tracking and it was never found. I’ve always found these insurance tracking deals to be total scams and they are just another cog in the industry. Recovery rate internally is under 15%

that 53 car bust yesterday was just there for the cameras. The rot runs deep

with canbus injection it makes things even easier

that insurance discount is like a Canadian tire sale…

Last edited by Gregster; 02-14-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
The Tag system contract is with the vehicle owner not the insurance company. Ownership can be transferred to a new owner when the vehicle is sold. The owner must report the vehicle stolen. The insurance company has no legal right to any data with this arrangement - I specifically asked this question. This is a theft tracker, not one used for capturing driving habits.

https://www.tagtracking.ca/how-it-works
Yeah...no way I'm letting some monkey dig around in my car installing RFIDs, and no chance I'd let anyone etch anything on my windows. (Frankly, I'd never even consider buying any used vehicle, much less a used 911, with anything etched on windows or any other ID/tracking components installed). If the RFID is activated, it transmits data all the time...so the tag provider (or other bad actor) could be tracking your vehicle 24/7. We've done a bunch of corporate IoT work so have a pretty good handle on how standalone location data can be used, and in combination with data from other systems/processes can be used to infer behavior. Believing location data would only be used in the event of a theft exhibits a higher level of trust than I'm accustomed to giving any organization. Add any financial services entity or government agency into the equation - even peripherally - and using this or any similar service is a hard pass.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:17 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Recovery even with tracking is extremely low. Much lower than that’s advertised. By the time it’s reported it’s already loaded and gone. My neighbours RDX was taken and I have it on camera. They had tracking and it was never found. I’ve always found these insurance tracking deals to be total scams and they are just another cog in the industry. Recovery rate internally is under 15%
I've got a few friends in law enforcement and they've basically said the same thing, cost/benefit is simply not there...
Old 02-19-2024, 06:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I remember that night. I think it was at The Musket. He sat at my table. He was nice guy but he got eaten alive.

Yes you are right ... it was the Musket, i was one of the guys roasting him so i felt bad, but i did chat with him after and he was a really nice guy .. titanium ***** to get up there..
Brian 162 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 06:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Yeah...no way I'm letting some monkey dig around in my car installing RFIDs, and no chance I'd let anyone etch anything on my windows. (Frankly, I'd never even consider buying any used vehicle, much less a used 911, with anything etched on windows or any other ID/tracking components installed). If the RFID is activated, it transmits data all the time...so the tag provider (or other bad actor) could be tracking your vehicle 24/7. We've done a bunch of corporate IoT work so have a pretty good handle on how standalone location data can be used, and in combination with data from other systems/processes can be used to infer behavior. Believing location data would only be used in the event of a theft exhibits a higher level of trust than I'm accustomed to giving any organization. Add any financial services entity or government agency into the equation - even peripherally - and using this or any similar service is a hard pass.
yeah but " person of interest" was a great show lol.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

That guy with the car in the container in brampton and taking the police there and them doing nothing has hit social media for those of you who haven't seen it .. canadian Policing getting roasted for standing by letting it happen and doing nothing.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Completely agree on not wanting someone placing rfids in a car that I cared about. My wife’s RX350 ?…go ahead. We were basically faced with a financial decision - get a free tracking system and keep our $900/year insurance rates or pass and pay $1325/year. We did consider selling it, but it’s worth more to us as a 3rd car than the $27k it would bring on a trade. The rx will be my winter car next year, so I don’t care if they track me back and forth to work.

Quick Reply: Tagtracking.Ca ? Anyone been asked by insurance to implement this?