Notices

Car alarms and Immobilizers

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 01:17 PM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Everyone seems to be focusing alot on the openers, just a reminder that garage doors with the flimsy acrylic windows are very easy to punch the window out, then actuate the emergency release. Police in Oakville found a few garage doors where they were using a heat gun to just melt a hole. Keep it in mind when you go to upgrade your door.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:26 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Aluffman
Everyone seems to be focusing alot on the openers, just a reminder that garage doors with the flimsy acrylic windows are very easy to punch the window out, then actuate the emergency release. Police in Oakville found a few garage doors where they were using a heat gun to just melt a hole. Keep it in mind when you go to upgrade your door.
You can use a coat hanger at the top of the door and grab the release handle. Really easy and all over the net.
The following users liked this post:
Adamant1971 (09-30-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 01:38 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Aluffman
Thanks, that is helpful! mine are glass. still breakable, but with some noise.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:08 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Luckily, I have a sold aluminum door insulated with aluminum on the interior. Door has no windows and I also use a jack shaft with the electric dead bolt. Personally, I would never use any garage door opener besides a jack shaft as they are more robust and so much quieter.

The auto thefts are starting to get ridiculous.
Alas, I have the best autotheft device.

Porsche and Jeep are both stick. no one can drive them lol

With respect to the immobilizers, car would have already incurred damage when the immobilizer is activated. Likely physical damage. Personally, I wouldn't want the car back.

Last edited by steam_mill; 09-29-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Adamant1971 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
Luckily, I have a sold aluminum door insulated with aluminum on the interior. Door has no windows and I also use a jack shaft with the electric dead bolt. Personally, I would never use any garage door opener besides a jack shaft as they are more robust and so much quieter.

The auto thefts are starting to get ridiculous.
Alas, I have the best autotheft device.

Porsche and Jeep are both stick. no one can drive them lol

With respect to the immobilizers, car would have already incurred damage when the immobilizer is activated. Likely physical damage. Personally, I wouldn't want the car back.
i still think the best anti theft is a dog.

Neighbour hates it when i walk up my own driveway coming home late at night as all i hear is his German Shepherd in his house barking lol.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:28 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

Neighbour hates it when i walk up my own driveway coming home late at night as all i hear is his German Shepherd in his house barking lol.
My dog is bigger than a German Shepard

And he is a very threatening standard poodle. I would be lucky if he would even bark.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:01 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

I have two...but they are heavy sleepers
Shirah (09-30-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 01:22 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

You could put your garage door opener on a wifi controlled outlet, and set a schedule that it's off from 11pm to 6am each day.....

I have a wyze camera in the garage, and did have a siren in there and a motion detector, but it was a homebrew setup using a samsung hub, and some rules are broken on it now.... or the battery in the motion sensor died....

Scary that they are breaking into garages now to get cars.
Adamant1971 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:52 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

Slight tweak to the above. Dog plus the legal right to protect your property with force. So my dog would alert me and then I could use legally owned weapons to confront the intruder. Worked well for thousands of years before us!
Old 09-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Koenig-Specials 928
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
You could put your garage door opener on a wifi controlled outlet, and set a schedule that it's off from 11pm to 6am each day.....
I have a wyze camera in the garage, and did have a siren in there and a motion detector, but it was a homebrew setup using a samsung hub, and some rules are broken on it now.... or the battery in the motion sensor died....Scary that they are breaking into garages now to get cars.
In everyone's interest, I will show what I use to protect my cars.
  1. As 911 Rod alluded to, remove the string that is used to bypass the chain. It is impossible to lift a garage door when the chain is connected, but in the event that they could (with a fork lift, for example, I put a lock to prevent all upward movement of the door.
  2. As above, install an Outdoor Smart wifi switch such as this one from Amazon (buy one that is associated with an App).
  3. Use a simple app, such as Smart Life that can be used to trigger the power remotely from anywhere on your phone
  4. Put a mechanical device, such as a screwdriver or in my case a lock close to a roller (drill a hole if required) when I am away on holiday
  5. I also have a siren facing the front of my house that I can trigger remotely to call attention to my driveway

Overkill? maybe, but I am quite happy to keep my two beautiful cars safe.
Good luck and stay safe

Last edited by Koenig-Specials 928; 09-30-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:55 PM
Koenig-Specials 928
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

345 cars stolen in the last 30 days in Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Georgetown

https://www.insauga.com/345-cars-sto...nd-georgetown/

Old 10-19-2023, 11:32 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I put an immobilizer on mine. Worked so well, I put one on all my cars. Now when I do Park outside I sleep like a log. That car is going no where. Except on a flat bed, and for that I have a couple of air tags. Still keep a club on the steering for grins (with the lock pointing to the glass so it can’t be drilled out). Best money I spent.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:09 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vapordan
I put an immobilizer on mine. Worked so well, I put one on all my cars. Now when I do Park outside I sleep like a log. That car is going no where. Except on a flat bed, and for that I have a couple of air tags. Still keep a club on the steering for grins (with the lock pointing to the glass so it can’t be drilled out). Best money I spent.
Would you mind sharing what you installed and were you had the work done? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post that info. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2023, 12:35 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I’ll PM in a bit.
Onami (10-20-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 07:45 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I use a cheap $2k ****box to block in my cars.

Quick Reply: Car alarms and Immobilizers