Notices

What to do? Porsche 996 is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 03:17 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
Very true...Isn't so much that it broke down. Crap happens. It is more about the labour for very little love. I hardly use the car, so I'm not getting the love. First world problems really. With hybrid work model, we tend to be at the cottage 3 or 4 days per week, so when we are in town, I have catch up stuff to do in the city and not much time for other things. Taking the 996 to the cottage doesn't work as the dog won't fit in the back. It really comes down to priorities. The toy car is much of less of a priority. I'm actually thinking of going back to a mustang since my big boy will fit in the flat back seat. The one time I took him in the 996, his paws were by the shifter lol.

And lastly, for all of you younger than 50, be warned. When you get into your 50's (I'll be 55 this year), you will notice a drop in energy and drive. I wish somebody had warned me. I've been screaming at my coworkers that are older and didn't warn me about this. Used to be that I was go go go all the time, now I'm enjoying slowing down for the most part - want to simplify. Even at the cottage which we have had for 23 seasons, looking to simplify. Looking at the fishing boat and the bowrider and realizing that we hardly use the bowrider. I'm thinking get rid of both boats, and buy a 16 foot boat that we can use for fishing and a run into town.
50's? I just hit 40 and have 2 young kids and am forever exhausted. When I'm up past 11pm, I get cranky now.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (06-14-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 07:05 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
50's? I just hit 40 and have 2 young kids and am forever exhausted. When I'm up past 11pm, I get cranky now.
Turning 68 in October, and I’m running a 996 and Corvette plus a daily. Like you I struggle with not using them enough, but hate the thought of giving either of them up.

I can say every time I see a bmw M3 convertible roll past with the top down, I think to myself, Wow that looks great. Maybe my time is coming??
Old 06-10-2023, 07:06 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Not wanting to derail this thread. Very much interested in what happened to the 996 that “died”.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:22 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Not wanting to derail this thread. Very much interested in what happened to the 996 that “died”.
Car is still at the shop. They have been able to recreate the problem, they think. If the car starts, and they shake the car or up under the dash, the steering mechanism, the car will stall. Similarly, If the car doesn't start, and they shake it, it will eventually start. Shop is slammed, and I also told them, not a priority. I hardly use the car anyway. They will be pulling the seat out to check for obvious things. They tried ignition switch as I did, not the problem.

Yeah, with respect to getting older, I have actually been thinking for a number of years now to just simplify. I think I have too many toys and the maintenance, whether the doing or the coordination is just starting to wear on me. We bought the cottage in 2000. I was 31. This is our 23rd year with it. We have never used it so little. We went every weekend easter to haloween and a couple times a month the remainder of the year. I was always the first to have boats in the water. This year, I don't even think I'm putting the big boat in. Yet another thing that we don't use all the often. But requires on going maintenance regardless of how often it is used.

And then there is the traffic. Even now with remote work, leaving on a Wednesday or Thursday evening that friggin 401 is just a disaster. With no traffic, I am 1hr 45min to the cottage. Now, just to get to the 404/401, takes me well over an hour. We used to lounge on sundays at the cottage. Even on a holiday weekend, maybe an extra 30 minutes. Now on sundays, we are often leaving before lunch and having lunch in the car just not to sit on that 401. And, I really have a hard time spending over $400 a month on the 407 just back and forth to the cottage. And for the record, we considered the cottage like a home and usually spend over 110 nights there per year. This year, doubt if we crack 50.

In the last 10 years, we used to have a late dinner at the cottage on Friday nights, then we started having dinner at home and leaving. Then, even before pandemic, we would have dinner, do some stuff in the city like visit friends or out to dinner and then jump in the car at 830 9 just to try and avoid traffic. Be at the cottage to go to bed. A couple weeks ago, wife was working nights, I dropped her off downtown at 7ish on a thursday. i expected to be at the cottage by 915. It was almost 10pm when I got there. And, there were no accidents. Just volume.

I will say the the reward for the work is rapidly evaporating. I am losing the drive I used to have. Just need to make things easier. That being said, I am close to retirement and also am concerned that giving up some of my stuff, I may regret it come retirement.

Last edited by steam_mill; 06-10-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:08 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

50 nights at the cottage is pretty good for most working people.

I'm entirely part-time work from home.

With family commitments (2 kids are now 17&20) the best use years at the cottage was likely:
May twofour - 3 nights
two 1 week holiday periods at the cottage: 2 x 9 nights
Civic wkend - 3 nights
Labour Day - 3 nights
Thksgiving - 3nights
5 regular weekends - 10 nights

40 nights.

There was talk of my 17yo finding a summer job up at Gravenhurst this year, but he's graduating high school and summer for him is short with a planned family trip to Iceland the day after school ends. I would probably spend 4 nights a week at the cottage with him if that ended up being the case.

The 401 thing is a Toronto problem - said as a non-Toronto resident.

Our Cottage drive is ~230km backroads, ~265km 401-407-400. The backroads way is typically 2h45m and long weekends up to 3h15min. There is no typical time if we take the 400 series roads. I have made it up there at odd hours in 2h30min; but only go that way if we need to go down to the GTA for some reason. Cottage is wife's family originally. I've been going since '97. She's been going since '77.

Too many toys? - I've got a motorcycle in storage going on for the 3rd summer.

Headed out to fix the non-working horn on my Boxster now.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:29 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petee_c
50 nights at the cottage is pretty good for most working people.

I'm entirely part-time work from home.

With family commitments (2 kids are now 17&20) the best use years at the cottage was likely:
May twofour - 3 nights
two 1 week holiday periods at the cottage: 2 x 9 nights
Civic wkend - 3 nights
Labour Day - 3 nights
Thksgiving - 3nights
5 regular weekends - 10 nights

40 nights.

There was talk of my 17yo finding a summer job up at Gravenhurst this year, but he's graduating high school and summer for him is short with a planned family trip to Iceland the day after school ends. I would probably spend 4 nights a week at the cottage with him if that ended up being the case.

The 401 thing is a Toronto problem - said as a non-Toronto resident.

Our Cottage drive is ~230km backroads, ~265km 401-407-400. The backroads way is typically 2h45m and long weekends up to 3h15min. There is no typical time if we take the 400 series roads. I have made it up there at odd hours in 2h30min; but only go that way if we need to go down to the GTA for some reason. Cottage is wife's family originally. I've been going since '97. She's been going since '77.

Too many toys? - I've got a motorcycle in storage going on for the 3rd summer.

Headed out to fix the non-working horn on my Boxster now.
We have treated our cottage, more as a second home hence why we would spend so many nights up there. We used to consider going to the cottage just like a commute that others do daily for 90 minutes, we would do weekly....Never a big deal. Now, wow, just chaos to get there on the 401 or going anywhere in GTA for that matter. I just dropped the dog off at the groomer. I spent 15 minutes to go 1km on Queensway. Ended up parking and walking pooch over - just ridiculousness.

Going to Orangeville to pick Porsche up this afternoon....Just hope traffic will be reasonable AND THAT THE CAR IS FIXED.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:09 PM
awdmig
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I live in a small town near the 403. My in laws live in Markham near the 407. Both homes are exactly the same distance to the highway with the exact same number of turns.

In Markham it takes 15mins on the weekend to get to the 407. It takes me 5mins to do the same at my place on a regular weekday at "rush hour" with the construction that has the lanes narrowed and partially on the dirt.

In laws think we live in the sticks, I have 100m from me a nice plaza with 10 popular fast food joints 3 restaurant, 2 pharmacy, 2 dentist, 2 daycare, 2 physio places , dollar store, pet store, home hardware. Everything else is under 5km including grocery store, medical center (x-ray, ultra sound, life labs) Canadian tire, post office, banks. Everyone is super nice, I often forget my wallet and keys in the car outside on the street.

Never mind the affordable housing, it would take a few million bucks to get me to move.

I tell my family to move here in our neighborhood but they think we have no jobs here lol.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:43 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awdmig
I live in a small town near the 403. My in laws live in Markham near the 407. Both homes are exactly the same distance to the highway with the exact same number of turns.

In Markham it takes 15mins on the weekend to get to the 407. It takes me 5mins to do the same at my place on a regular weekday at "rush hour" with the construction that has the lanes narrowed and partially on the dirt.

In laws think we live in the sticks, I have 100m from me a nice plaza with 10 popular fast food joints 3 restaurant, 2 pharmacy, 2 dentist, 2 daycare, 2 physio places , dollar store, pet store, home hardware. Everything else is under 5km including grocery store, medical center (x-ray, ultra sound, life labs) Canadian tire, post office, banks. Everyone is super nice, I often forget my wallet and keys in the car outside on the street.

Never mind the affordable housing, it would take a few million bucks to get me to move.

I tell my family to move here in our neighborhood but they think we have no jobs here lol.
I live at Kipling and Eglinton so I should be close to things. In fact, at the cottage which is on the water, I can get to building centre, home hardware, Tim Hortons, beer store, liquor store in less than 10 minutes. Takes me longer at home argh. I do understand the advantages of living in a small town. But, I also do love the city life....

And, luckily for us, we are 15 minutes to an emergency room and it is slated for a rebuild in a next couple of years so, unlike in Haliburton, we are keeping our ER and hospital at least for now.

Last edited by steam_mill; 06-13-2023 at 12:46 PM.
awdmig (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 05:18 AM
awdmig
Racer

There is certainly many advantages to living in the city, I have grown up around SQ1 in mississauga, lived in Brampton and Ancaster. But like everything in life the pros and cons have to suit a person /family and what works for them. It was an adjustment to this lifestyle for us but we are more than happy with it and it works for us better than the city hands down
Old 06-14-2023, 09:12 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by awdmig
There is certainly many advantages to living in the city, I have grown up around SQ1 in mississauga, lived in Brampton and Ancaster. But like everything in life the pros and cons have to suit a person /family and what works for them. It was an adjustment to this lifestyle for us but we are more than happy with it and it works for us better than the city hands down
Where are you now?
Old 06-14-2023, 09:35 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steam_mill
We have treated our cottage, more as a second home hence why we would spend so many nights up there. We used to consider going to the cottage just like a commute that others do daily for 90 minutes, we would do weekly....Never a big deal. Now, wow, just chaos to get there on the 401 or going anywhere in GTA for that matter. I just dropped the dog off at the groomer. I spent 15 minutes to go 1km on Queensway. Ended up parking and walking pooch over - just ridiculousness.

Going to Orangeville to pick Porsche up this afternoon....Just hope traffic will be reasonable AND THAT THE CAR IS FIXED.
We are very close to you, Dundas and Islington, and we just bought a share of a cottage in Halliburton.

Still very interested in the final story on your car
petee_c (06-15-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 09:42 AM
awdmig
Racer

Originally Posted by Onami
Where are you now?
No where special, just a town under the county of Brant
Old 06-14-2023, 09:46 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Sorry, didn't realize that you were in the witness protection program
petee_c (06-15-2023)

Quick Reply: What to do? Porsche 996 is dead.