Notices

What to do? Porsche 996 is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 03:28 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
yup sounds like alarm module, unbolt the seat and pull of the module, open it up and see if there's corrosion or water or burnt connections
car is a coupe. Cant see how it got wet under there. Car doesnt even see rain and car washed 3 or 4 times a year.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:14 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

worth spinning off the 4 seat bolts and having a look, not just for water damage..also pull the front strut/cowl covers off
does it still crank or no crank now?
Old 06-05-2023, 08:31 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993GT
worth spinning off the 4 seat bolts and having a look, not just for water damage..also pull the front strut/cowl covers off
does it still crank or no crank now?
No crank. Booster made no difference. Locks and remotes all work. Just no crank. I looked under seat. Just dusty.

so, indie or dealer. I plan on calling hunter tomorrow as he is closest and have it towed. Or Mantis as I can get a ride easily as it is close to work.

I am concerned the indies cant program the alarm if I need a replacement.

anybody want a 996?
Old 06-05-2023, 09:56 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
anybody want a 996?
I know you don't wanna hear this but.... It's a 20+ year old car. It's a labour of love at this point. You know you love it!

The following 4 users liked this post by red996:
bcrdukes (06-05-2023), ekam (06-09-2023), Rallybill (06-06-2023), westcoastj (06-10-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 10:39 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red996
I know you don't wanna hear this but.... It's a 20+ year old car. It's a labour of love at this point. You know you love it!
Very true...Isn't so much that it broke down. Crap happens. It is more about the labour for very little love. I hardly use the car, so I'm not getting the love. First world problems really. With hybrid work model, we tend to be at the cottage 3 or 4 days per week, so when we are in town, I have catch up stuff to do in the city and not much time for other things. Taking the 996 to the cottage doesn't work as the dog won't fit in the back. It really comes down to priorities. The toy car is much of less of a priority. I'm actually thinking of going back to a mustang since my big boy will fit in the flat back seat. The one time I took him in the 996, his paws were by the shifter lol.

And lastly, for all of you younger than 50, be warned. When you get into your 50's (I'll be 55 this year), you will notice a drop in energy and drive. I wish somebody had warned me. I've been screaming at my coworkers that are older and didn't warn me about this. Used to be that I was go go go all the time, now I'm enjoying slowing down for the most part - want to simplify. Even at the cottage which we have had for 23 seasons, looking to simplify. Looking at the fishing boat and the bowrider and realizing that we hardly use the bowrider. I'm thinking get rid of both boats, and buy a 16 foot boat that we can use for fishing and a run into town.
The following 2 users liked this post by steam_mill:
Greg981 (06-06-2023), westcoastj (06-10-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 01:25 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for this.

If the alarm control unit is faulty, I guess that would cause a no start condition?

Not necessarily.... it is only one of 7 possibilities, and the most expensive one at that....

You did number 6 on the flowchart...

I don't have a 996, but have a 986s, and the bentley manual for it..... I don't know where Todd got the troubleshooting guide from, but it is fairly straightforward. My bentley doesn't have this chart, but it makes sense.

1. E1 fuse. i assume it is good, because you said the rest of the car is good.... if the radio turns on, then i think it is good. Doesnt hurt to check.
2. see if you get close to 12v at pin 16 on plug A ; if you do, then replace alarm module.
if you get less than 11v, check wiring

Last edited by petee_c; 06-06-2023 at 01:27 AM. Reason: can't paste in a screenshot...standby
Old 06-06-2023, 08:06 AM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I've heard good things about Zorotech, and I know the owner of Mantis so I can say I would trust them. Dead 996 for sale? Hmm... colour me interested
Ive had ZoroTech do an independent PPI on a car listed with a dealer they do work for (aka potential for bias) and he still gave me a 100% honest assessment of not to buy that particular car. So IMO they are honest competent people
Also in Vaughan - EU Autowerks is good but very busy and hard to book
Old 06-06-2023, 08:46 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Zorotech installed the solution for me. Excellent service except the car was ready and he never called me. I called him a week later after drop off and he told me it was ready 3 days ago. EU autowerks did the ppi on my car.

I guess since I'm likely dealing with an ECU/Alarm that will have to be coded, should I just go to the dealer as I'm concerned the car is going to end up there eventually, especially since it doesn't run right now, I would need it towed 2x.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:54 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

did you try boosting it at the front or back? if at the front, try it at the back as well...wonder if the engine ground or positive power wire has an issue
also, have 2 keys? tried both in ignition?

No crank. Booster made no difference. Locks and remotes all work. Just no crank. I looked under seat. Just dusty.

so, indie or dealer. I plan on calling hunter tomorrow as he is closest and have it towed. Or Mantis as I can get a ride easily as it is close to work.

I am concerned the indies cant program the alarm if I need a replacement.

anybody want a 996?
Old 06-06-2023, 10:55 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c

..... I don't know where Todd got the troubleshooting guide from, but it is fairly straightforward. My bentley doesn't have this chart, but it makes sense.

The workflows I provided are from the factory service manuals.

I always get a chuckle when people say how hard modern cars are to work on. If you can read a wiring diagram, they basically tell you what is wrong. The only difference is you usually can't 'repair' the issue and the solution is to swap components. Guess that is why they are called 'technicians' these days and not mechanics.

-Todd
The following users liked this post:
ekam (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:57 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what I posted over on the 996 board....

Error 25 simply means the alarm unit is not receiving a switched 12V from term 86S through fuse E1. If the fuse is good, check for power at E1 in the fuse board. If no power there with the ignition on, there is an issue with the switched power coming from the ignition. Either the wiring or the switch itself. If there is power to the fuse, pull connector A on the alarm unit and see if there is switched 12V on pin 16. If there is voltage there, the unit is getting 12V and is not powering up so the control unit is defective. If there is 12V at fuse E1 but not at the connector, you have a wiring issue between the fuse and the control unit. Since you already replaced the ignition switch, unless you screwed something up in that repair, you can rule that out. It is all outlined in the workflow I provided.

The other errors are just a result of the alarm unit not powering up.

-Todd
The following 4 users liked this post by Todd Holyoak:
Overdraft (06-07-2023), petee_c (06-06-2023), Rallybill (06-06-2023), vetfever (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:54 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Todd Holyoak
This is what I posted over on the 996 board....

Error 25 simply means the alarm unit is not receiving a switched 12V from term 86S through fuse E1. If the fuse is good, check for power at E1 in the fuse board. If no power there with the ignition on, there is an issue with the switched power coming from the ignition. Either the wiring or the switch itself. If there is power to the fuse, pull connector A on the alarm unit and see if there is switched 12V on pin 16. If there is voltage there, the unit is getting 12V and is not powering up so the control unit is defective. If there is 12V at fuse E1 but not at the connector, you have a wiring issue between the fuse and the control unit. Since you already replaced the ignition switch, unless you screwed something up in that repair, you can rule that out. It is all outlined in the workflow I provided.

The other errors are just a result of the alarm unit not powering up.

-Todd
well she was flatbeded to an indie today. I will let you know outcome and when it is posted for sale…
Old 06-08-2023, 01:02 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

probably just a fried battery
Old 06-08-2023, 01:51 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
probably just a fried battery
That was the easy. Wasn't the battery unfortunately.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

That was the easy. Wasn't the battery unfortunately.
..and ??

Quick Reply: What to do? Porsche 996 is dead.