OT: Office Dress Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 11:03 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Current IBM C-level = jeans
well that’s a change from a few years ago.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:05 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canuck964
Old fart here. When I started working at IBM in the 80's I was sent home once because I wore a sports jacket to work instead of the normal blue or dark grey suit with the IBM "rep or honest" tie.

I think that you can set a more casual dress code for anyone below senior management but I still believe senior managers should not be going to work in jeans and at a minimum it should be dress shirt (with or without a tie) and dress pants. Sorry but I still feel running a business is serious work and I feel more professional when dressing the part. Again I am probably in the minority here.
i remember stumbling on a dress code internal page. Had every detail outlined for European meetings, North American, role types….was funny.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Dress should be professional and put together. For the occasion or client, as circumstances dictate. Daily office attire, smart casual up to leadership level.
The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:20 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
One of the main reasons for my post! Should leadership in a small 100 person company wear jeans?

At 30 I was running a 300 person, 400,000 sq ft multi-site division of a US based Fortune 500 manufacturing company. Suit, white shirt and tie for a decade followed by about 3 years of button downs and golf shirts with company branding for management. After refusing a Sr VP role in Virginia, I found myself turning around struggling family run businesses. I’m on my third now and have been here 5 years. Hope to retire here in 5-7 years. 100 employees, 110,000 sq ft with input into managing 2 other businesses owned by the family. New young boss (son of owner) which I am helping to train who is open to change. In fact, I’m sharing the comments in this thread with him.

I currently wear dress pants or dockers with a good quality dress shirt and dress shoes. Honestly, at 60 I feel that this look ages me (even more!) and as I look to bring more young people into the business due to multiple upcoming retirements, I think it’s time to freshen things up a bit. I tend to agree with the statement above about nice jeans and shoes etc. looking better than some frumpy dockers. Thanks again for your insights.
you need a young mistress who will help with your clothing choices

Last edited by Bud Fox; 03-05-2023 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:04 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
you need a young mistress who will help with your clothing choices
no way…I look great!

Old 03-06-2023, 12:30 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
i remember stumbling on a dress code internal page. Had every detail outlined for European meetings, North American, role types….was funny.
I know that sounds funny or extremely controlling today but I know that a lot of what I learned during my IBM days has served me throughout my business career.

But as pointed out to me already us old farts are in the minority and we need to get the hell of out business with our extreme views like dressing professionally. LOL.
Sarawnty (03-07-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 12:35 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

I know that sounds funny or extremely controlling today but I know that a lot of what I learned during my IBM days has served me throughout my business career.

But as pointed out to me already us old farts are in the minority and we need to get the hell of out business with our extreme views like dressing professionally. LOL.
Very true - I had lunch with Lou Gerstner last fall in NYC and I can assure you it was a suit/tie affair (I actually bought a new suit for it as I hadn't bought one for something like 10 years).
Old 03-06-2023, 01:40 PM
mhenry84
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Financial officer at Downtown Toronto Law Firm. Once we opened up to having clients back in the office, many preferred the Zoom option for Consults, or even Zoom/Docusign for contract/will signing. Even Mediations that we generally host at the office moved to Zoom. Clients and opposing counsel in general seem to prefer the digital route as it eliminates the brutal drive into the TO core or parking.

With that, we sort of laxed the dress code a little. Jeans were reserved for Fridays, now are fine for any day. We were not t a full suit firm but business casual, still applies. Hoodies has been OK'd for any day as long as staff are not meeting a client. That is the main one that realy changed since we returned to office (2 days/week.)
Old 03-06-2023, 04:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

What I found funny was the depth of detail. Finger nails, hair, type of suit jacket and cut depending on europe/north america, differences for both male and female. Meeting with execs versus IT managers etc.

It's all essentially summed up in my other post "professional and put together", much of it common sense for somebody who cares about their personal upkeep.

Professional dress doesn't equal suit with tie and/or pocket square.

When I was at IBM in the last decade it was primarily suit/tie or sport coat, dress shirt and dress pants. I was client facing, primarily meeting with executives at largest FS&I. That's also primarily what the client wore. Would try to match the client. Hence my reference in the other post to circumstances. The suit fit mattered in my opinion too, a properly tailored suit looks best and you don't have to spend $2000.

Last edited by SToronto; 03-06-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:32 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm on Bay St. at an exchange. We're not all back in the office yet.
In senior managment we generally wear suits/jackets but may skip the tie, same for client-facing people.
Operations and many administrative/research folks are pretty casual.

Friday is more casual for most of us, and we're not back in the office full time yet.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:01 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Angryinch (03-09-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 11:00 AM
craiescale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mhenry84
Financial officer at Downtown Toronto Law Firm. Once we opened up to having clients back in the office, many preferred the Zoom option for Consults, or even Zoom/Docusign for contract/will signing. Even Mediations that we generally host at the office moved to Zoom. Clients and opposing counsel in general seem to prefer the digital route as it eliminates the brutal drive into the TO core or parking.

With that, we sort of laxed the dress code a little. Jeans were reserved for Fridays, now are fine for any day. We were not t a full suit firm but business casual, still applies. Hoodies has been OK'd for any day as long as staff are not meeting a client. That is the main one that realy changed since we returned to office (2 days/week.)
I'm in law also and I'd agree with this as it's how I'm doing it. When in my office I'm generally wearing dress pants, kakis, or nice (dark) jeans along with a dress shoe, boot, or a nice sneaker (no branding on them) when I'm just in the office. Wearing a dress shirt and sport coat is a must for when I'm not in Zoom Court. When I am, I add a tie. When I'm physically in court the suits come out. I'll also wear a suit if there's an office need.

Last edited by craiescale; 03-08-2023 at 11:13 AM. Reason: adding info.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
This is a good one. I need to watch the entirety of it.

Joe Rogan and Dana White dress like bums lol. Especially Dana White, Ive noticed it frequently. I guess money can buy a lot of things, but it can't buy you style.

Last edited by Angryinch; 03-09-2023 at 01:00 PM.
ekam (03-11-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:46 PM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dress Code

Old school here as well, worked on bay st for over 30 years in senior roles. Started with high price suites and shoes. The whole culture has changed in the downtown core. Dress code is now nice neat jeans ,dress shirt and sport jacket. Even all the CIO's of the banks dress like this.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

This thread should be renamed " the title dropping forum" lol

The following 2 users liked this post by theiceman:
6IXSPD (03-11-2023), ekam (03-10-2023)

Quick Reply: OT: Office Dress Codes