Notices

Porsche requiring a certain $ amount of options in new cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 12:01 PM
chachamaru
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Vancouver Porsche has told my dad he needs minimum $35k on options to be kept on the wait-list 🤨. Thank God I got my car right before these shenanigans and beat the federal luxury tax.
I have heard the same number ($35500 exactly) for a 4 GTS.
I am wondering what happens if some options is not available and makes the spec drop below the asking number.
would the dealer ask you to add more options to reach the minimum option requirements...
Old 02-06-2023, 12:52 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Supply may be hard to come by on the sports car models but just take a look at new inventory for Cayennes and Macans and you'll see some of the most ridiculously bloated specs out there. There's plenty of inventory for those models because dealers specced them like idiots. $130k for a regular Cayenne? lol
Too early to tell what the market for "regular" Porsche models will look like.

Kinda like the economy. Here in Vancouver housing prices have soften a bit but still higher than pre COVID. Most places still cannot find workers. Where the hell did all the workers go? The divide between the rich and poor is definitely getting way bigger. I think that is why limited edition very high end sports cars will still command a massive premium (if you can get them). The money is here and there is LOTS of it.

I was just at the Boat Show and at the on water displays you used to be able to tour the big 70 foot plus yachts. This year many of them were by "appointment" only. Those that had appointments had their own special reception tents and smucks like me were definitely on the outside looking in. I heard one saleslady say the waitlist for 70 foot plus yachts is over 3 years.

I am just jealous I am on the poor side of the divide.

Last edited by canuck964; 02-06-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:10 PM
JoseArroyo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe there are some production constraints that are holding things back. Another possibility is that there could be a shortage of certain parts or materials that are causing delays.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:26 AM
hallmachine
2nd Gear

officially joined the C2S queue yesterday at PCNT... fingers crossed for next Spring with european delivery
number 12 in the queue
the C4S queue has 16
Old 02-14-2023, 12:18 PM
vancity
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been on "the list" for a year for euro delivery in vancouver - when a car finally came up they:
1 - asked $35,000 minimum in options
2 - no euro delivery spots available next 1-2 years
3 - wanted to give me 20% less for my trade in vs another dealer across the street (I shopped around the trade in value) when I told them competitors trade in value they said they could maybe offer that if I did an early trade in and be without a car

Old 02-14-2023, 04:49 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hallmachine
officially joined the C2S queue yesterday at PCNT... fingers crossed for next Spring with european delivery
number 12 in the queue
the C4S queue has 16
What did PCNT say as the timeline? Based on what I've seen, your Spring 2024 estimate is likely highly optimistic.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:19 PM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

The requirements to get an allocation definitely vary based on the dealership.

I put down a deposit for a C2S at a dealership 12 months ago. I wasn’t getting any updates and they wouldn’t tell me what number I was on the list, and although they wouldn’t admit it, I’m sure people with higher spec builds were leapfrogging me. They also told me that people with “good” trades would move up the list so if I bought a used car from them, I could have a new one within a few months.

I’ve spent a lot of time on the phone over the past six months. A second dealership where I recently bought a Macan knew that I was looking for a 992 and called me out of the blue with a C2S allocation. There were no caveats on the price of the car.. I obviously jumped on it!

I called the first dealership to request a refund on my deposit. They miraculously called back the next day and had a C2GTS allocation available. However, the build had to have $30k in options. I declined, and will never do business with them again. I don’t like their tactics, and I no longer trust them. I hope customers have a long memory, so that when this market turns around the dealerships that were being fair get rewarded for their honesty and integrity.

FWIW I think we’re starting to see a turn in the market. I had a chance at a c2gts cab, turbo, and T allocation over the past couple months. They were all last minute customer cancellations.

The following 3 users liked this post by KM20Turbo:
Angryinch (02-15-2023), dml (02-20-2023), westcoastj (02-16-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 09:46 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah, you guys are way more patient and accommodating than me. I would NEVER pay a penny of additional markup or 'option' extortion, just on principle. I won't spend $6 for a head of wilted broccoli either. There are alternatives.

M
Old 02-14-2023, 11:41 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by KM20Turbo
The requirements to get an allocation definitely vary based on the dealership.

I put down a deposit for a C2S at a dealership 12 months ago. I wasn’t getting any updates and they wouldn’t tell me what number I was on the list, and although they wouldn’t admit it, I’m sure people with higher spec builds were leapfrogging me. They also told me that people with “good” trades would move up the list so if I bought a used car from them, I could have a new one within a few months.

I’ve spent a lot of time on the phone over the past six months. A second dealership where I recently bought a Macan knew that I was looking for a 992 and called me out of the blue with a C2S allocation. There were no caveats on the price of the car.. I obviously jumped on it!

I called the first dealership to request a refund on my deposit. They miraculously called back the next day and had a C2GTS allocation available. However, the build had to have $30k in options. I declined, and will never do business with them again. I don’t like their tactics, and I no longer trust them. I hope customers have a long memory, so that when this market turns around the dealerships that were being fair get rewarded for their honesty and integrity.

FWIW I think we’re starting to see a turn in the market. I had a chance at a c2gts cab, turbo, and T allocation over the past couple months. They were all last minute customer cancellations.
Yeah, I think people are confused thinking that 'the list' means it is in any sort of sequential order based on deposit date. 12 people on the list in front of you doesn't mean you're getting the 13th car cause of reasons.

Also, name the dealers (good + bad) so others can avoid in the future. Have a feeling I know who they are but can't hurt to confirm.
The following users liked this post:
BigRed911 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:45 AM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yeah, I think people are confused thinking that 'the list' means it is in any sort of sequential order based on deposit date. 12 people on the list in front of you doesn't mean you're getting the 13th car cause of reasons.

Also, name the dealers (good + bad) so others can avoid in the future. Have a feeling I know who they are but can't hurt to confirm.
I believe this happened to me in '21, but who can know for sure
Old 02-15-2023, 11:20 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 944 Likes on 570 Posts

European delivery booked for the entire year in one week last Nov or Dec, whenever it opened up. You need to be on a cancellation list.

The dealer games are annoying. My dealer has areas to improve, but doesn’t play games fortunately. I’ve had a few domestics do this and I will never buy another thing from them.

I was told to add some options, but my original build was pretty light. I have 41k options now, it seemed to give me more pull. I have ED coming up in April, can’t wait!

Edit, they may have 10-15 on a list, but when it comes time to slap down the cash, lots drop off, the market is slowly changing. Some don’t want to spend money now.

Also, not only are you battling lists, but when you finally get your allocation, they’re are still parts shortages. PCCB, LWBS, sports packages, Matrix lights, etc.

Last edited by Angryinch; 02-15-2023 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
BigRed911 (02-17-2023), vancity (02-16-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 08:10 AM
JoseArroyo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JoseArroyo
Maybe there are some production constraints that are holding things back. Another possibility is that there could be a shortage of certain parts or materials that are causing delays.
The auto industry is pretty complex, so there could be a number of factors at play here. Either way, it's always cool to keep an eye on what's going on in the world of ข่าวรถยนต์ and see how different companies are doing. Porsche's recent announcement just goes to show that the auto industry is always changing and evolving, and it's always important to stay on top of the latest developments.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:27 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

On waiting list for Euro delivery but they are not optimistic. Car (992 RS) will be built in March. I will just ship it back -can’t miss some track days there.
The following users liked this post:
mhenry84 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 01:00 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 944 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
On waiting list for Euro delivery but they are not optimistic. Car (992 RS) will be built in March. I will just ship it back -can’t miss some track days there.

Might get lucky, did your SA request to put you on the cancelation list?

What's your build code? Id like to see, thanks!

Quick Reply: Porsche requiring a certain $ amount of options in new cars