Notices

OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 02:58 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemikson
In today’s stupid used car market, I would not go down pre-owned road. Makes no sense as price is severely inflated.
And look at how well they are leasing. <$500/mo tax in is Kia money
Old 02-19-2022, 12:27 AM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Yup, Attrell Toyota in Brampton. Sales guy is Wai, he introduced me to the dealer principal who is a huge car guy. Both very nice guys.

I took out a red manual transmission, it was the higher level car with leather and alcantara (like) interior and 18 inch wheels.

Super fun car. Can’t get over how much leg room it has.
I was literally emailing about this very example yesterday and now magically it is not available to even view at Attrell. Red and premium 6MT is exactly what I was looking for to test drive. I was in contact with Philip too. The sold example at Erin Park is also gone now too. Does anyone have any leads on where in the GTA I can see/drive a GR86 manual???
Old 02-19-2022, 12:36 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by shahrukh_bakar
I was literally emailing about this very example yesterday and now magically it is not available to even view at Attrell. Red and premium 6MT is exactly what I was looking for to test drive. I was in contact with Philip too. The sold example at Erin Park is also gone now too. Does anyone have any leads on where in the GTA I can see/drive a GR86 manual???
I’ve been able to see 2 or 3. Typically they are customer cars just having been received at the dealership but haven’t been prepped for delivery yet. Seen them, even sat in them, but not driven one until the red manual at Attrell. That I think is pretty rare.

l’m not surprised the red one sold, but when I was there the other day speaking with Phil, I asked about lead time if I ordered one, and he said you can have one today if you want red!

Same day I went to a Subaru dealership and they did a system search and found an unsold grey one somewhere. I didn’t ask where it was thought. Still, I think a test drive is going to be tough to come by. I was fortunate - right place right time.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:56 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

I think vetfever was right. I simply got lucky with my test drive and poof, a week later, the manual shows up and vetfever got a chance to test drive it. It's possible too many people are dropping in to test drive but I'm sure they will have no problems selling the GR86. I'd be surprised of the grey automatic base model I test drove is still on the lot.

Damn it. If it weren't for our wedding this year, I'd buy this. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!(Please don't tell my fiancé that.)

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-19-2022 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:05 AM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

I haven’t asked about stock at other dealerships yet. I did get to see a blue BRZ at Subaru in London. I really liked how the BRZ looked, and going by the videos I think I like how the GR86 looks even better. If anyone has any leads on one in a dealership this week in the GTA, please let me know!!
Old 02-19-2022, 03:00 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

I haven’t asked about stock at other dealerships yet. I did get to see a blue BRZ at Subaru in London. I really liked how the BRZ looked, and going by the videos I think I like how the GR86 looks even better. If anyone has any leads on one in a dealership this week in the GTA, please let me know!!
You may know that the bodies are exactly the same. The bumpers are different to distinguish them, but otherwise they are the same. The GR86 leather interior is all black, whereas the BRZ interior has red stitching and small red stripes in the seat backs. Mechanically they are the same other than the method the sway bars are attached - they differ slightly although I can't recall the exact details right now.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:29 PM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

After calling every Toyota dealer in the western half of the GTA and beyond...there’s a premium automatic at Georgetown and a blue automatic in Bolton. That’s it.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:29 PM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Does anyone know how long this model run is likely to be? Surely at least 2-3 years?
Old 02-19-2022, 05:42 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The first version last 10 years. They don't sell a lot so they'll likely be a long production run to recoup tooling costs
Old 03-01-2022, 09:33 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

After calling every Toyota dealer in the western half of the GTA and beyond...there’s a premium automatic at Georgetown and a blue automatic in Bolton. That’s it.
There is a red AT at the Toyota Dealer on Hwy 7 in Woodbridge. I think it's the base model...

Last edited by vetfever; 03-01-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:39 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a friend selling one in the spring. Trading it in, so sale would go through a dealership. 6 speed red brz. I believe it’s a 2021. Some light track time, but all maintenance is right on schedule. Used it as a daily commuting across the city. If you’re interested, I can get more details.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:00 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I have a friend selling one in the spring. Trading it in, so sale would go through a dealership. 6 speed red brz. I believe it’s a 2021. Some light track time, but all maintenance is right on schedule. Used it as a daily commuting across the city. If you’re interested, I can get more details.
Thanks, but no. Couple of reasons: used sports cars are commanding premium prices such that they are getting within striking distance of new, and, the 2022 models have the improved, larger engine..

I'm sure he'll be very happy with what he gets for it though.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:38 PM
s9ix
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I gave up trying to find a good 981 within my budget for the year and threw my list on a GR86 allocation, MT, Premium... Guess we'll see how it goes, but I'm really looking forward to it! Has anyone else here ordered one?
Old 03-07-2022, 03:12 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s9ix
Well, I gave up trying to find a good 981 within my budget for the year and threw my list on a GR86 allocation, MT, Premium... Guess we'll see how it goes, but I'm really looking forward to it! Has anyone else here ordered one?
I am close to ordering one, although I will go the BRZ route as it’s more than $2k less money.

I’m also on the waiting list for the new Nissan Z which I may use as a DD if the price point isn’t too high. Not as compact as the BRZ, but it will have 400 hp.

I’m told the Z pricing will come out in May.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:09 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
I am close to ordering one, although I will go the BRZ route as it’s more than $2k less money.

I’m also on the waiting list for the new Nissan Z which I may use as a DD if the price point isn’t too high. Not as compact as the BRZ, but it will have 400 hp.

I’m told the Z pricing will come out in May.
Did you have a Subaru dealer in mind? I'm curious whether or not they've managed to fulfill all Canadian orders or not as I read over the weekend all the US 2022 BRZs are accounted for and sold out.

No luck on getting Attrell on budging on $2K?

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?