Notices

OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 04:22 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts
Default OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?

These two cars keep popping on to my radar. The latest is they're both on Car and Drivers Best 10 list, as well as their Lighting Lap issue this month - they keep raving about them.

A 2800 pound (net) car is pretty rare these days. In 2022 they received a refresh with stiffer chassis and HP and TQ bumps. They are supposed to have way better mid-range punch (maybe punch is too strong a word?).

Anyways, thought I would ask around....
Old 02-11-2022, 04:39 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 109 Posts

Second hand info, but i knew a guy that drifted the 86 and said its underpowered and needs boost just to keep up.

I can't talk from personal experience tho.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:43 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I have driven a couple of these, and man, they're fun. Not fast, but fun. They come with prius tires, and you can slide the car at about 30km/h. You can have so much fun at such low speeds. It's excellent.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:46 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

I picked one up as my daily in December and its really awesome, enjoying it for sure. Its pretty small inside so only an idiot would buy this car to take his kids to school and stuff. And thats what I do every day.

Very light, quick revving, quick to change direction and a lot of fun if you like the "slow car fast" kinda vibe. That said, compared to the first gen this is a rocket. I have a 981 Boxster and the acceleration numbers are very similar but of course they go about it differently. One thing to keep in mind, its a 30k-ish Japanese car, you are far from Porsche refinement.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The following 3 users liked this post by maximusbibicus:
bcrdukes (02-12-2022), westcoastj (02-14-2022), wizee (02-12-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 04:55 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
I picked one up as my daily in December and its really awesome, enjoying it for sure. Its pretty small inside so only an idiot would buy this car to take his kids to school and stuff. And thats what I do every day.

Very light, quick revving, quick to change direction and a lot of fun if you like the "slow car fast" kinda vibe. That said, compared to the first gen this is a rocket. I have a 981 Boxster and the acceleration numbers are very similar but of course they go about it differently. One thing to keep in mind, its a 30k-ish Japanese car, you are far from Porsche refinement.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I am thinking of using one in the same exact way. It would be my DD - summer and winter. Is yours a 2022?

Old 02-12-2022, 12:46 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

My Toyota dealer invited me to test drive the GR86 base in automatic last week.

For those of you in the GTA, It snowed last week and it had been -11 to -18 those past few days, so you can imagine that a lot of roads are frozen and snow removal hasn't been a super high priority. Unfortunately, the fastest I was able to take the GR86 was 60km/h until Peel Region Police caught up to me in the industrial complex across the street, flashed their lights and told me to slow down. That was pretty much the end of the test drive and we went back.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the car but wished the weather had cooperated. They'll invite me back in the summer when they get a manual one in. Would I get a GR86? Yes. Unfortunately, the timing for me isn't right. I quite enjoyed the experience regardless and it was a fun car. I would confidently daily drive this thing and as much as I hate to admit it I'd be willing to sell the Boxster for this. @maximusbibicus I am green with envy. It truly is a car where it is an art and skill to drive a slow car fast while being a lot of fun.

Anyhow, not the best pics, but...
Name:  0c1qgqvh.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  165.2 KB
Name:  pOTDshuh.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  175.7 KB
Name:  VKKUNIBh.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  202.6 KB

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-12-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:53 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Yeah 2022, first year for this gen. Mine was one of the first out there when I picked it up in early December. I went weeks without seeing another but now you shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding one.

You will have a lot of fun, it's great. Keep in mind, SMALL. My son is 12, daughter is 8. They dont have much room to spare on the right hand side of the car and there is literally no space behind me. Not even for a piece of paper. We don't travel as a family in it, we take my wife's car for that. But to get them to school, go to work, have some fun when not in the Boxster its pretty decent. It's a two year lease, not keeping it as I know they won't fit at that point, I'll be moving on to something else.

Also, don't kid yourself thinking its an economical daily. Unless you do all highway the gas mileage is garbage. Especially if you drive how it should be driven.

The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 12:56 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the details! Love that you don't shy from driving it with both your kids. Do you need a kid seat in there or are they just hopping in as-is? Kids are in the cards for us in the near future, and this could be something I'd want to keep for a while. Hope you post regularly throughout your ownership to provide updates and experiences for budding owners!
Old 02-12-2022, 12:57 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes

I quite enjoyed the experience regardless and it was a fun car. I would confidently daily drive this thing and as much as I hate to admit it I'd be willing to sell the Boxster for this. @maximusbibicus I am green with envy. It truly is a car where it is an art and skill to drive a slow car fast while being a lot of fun.

It fun to drive, no doubt. But it isn't a Porsche. At highway speeds with the top up my Boxster is significantly quieter.

Just pulling the cover off the Boxster and sitting in it for 5 minutes I had a huge grin on my face......like "oh yeah, this is what its all about".

I highly recommend the car but I dont think it replaces the Porsche experience.
bcrdukes (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:05 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

I have a 986 Boxster S so it's not as refined as your 981, but yes, I know exactly the feeling you're talking about!
maximusbibicus (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:08 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Thanks for the details! Love that you don't shy from driving it with both your kids. Do you need a kid seat in there or are they just hopping in as-is? Kids are in the cards for us in the near future, and this could be something I'd want to keep for a while. Hope you post regularly throughout your ownership to provide updates and experiences for budding owners!
NP.

For the ride to school she goes without a booster, she is close to not needing it anyway. For longer drives I have used it and it fits perfectly and she is comfortable. The problem is the seat raises her and then her feet dont fit under the front seat, even bigger issue with clunky winter boots. Its fine, we dont do any long trips in it. My son and I on the other hand have done a few day drips into Muskoka carving up some roads and it has been fun. Well, as much fun as you can have with winter tires.

bcrdukes (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:59 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

I had a 2013 in manual, one of the most fun cars I've ever owned and probably my favorite car (before I got my 992). Can only imagine how fun it is with the improvements. Was seriously thinking of getting another one if I didn't get my 992 allocation.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:59 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the feedback - especially maximusbibicus - I'm so glad I posted here about these cars.

bcrdukes - which Toyota Dealer? I would love to drive one...

maximusbibicus (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 07:08 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vetfever
Thanks all for the feedback - especially maximusbibicus - I'm so glad I posted here about these cars.

bcrdukes - which Toyota Dealer? I would love to drive one...

Attrell Toyota in Brampton??
110 Canam Crescent?
Old 02-12-2022, 07:57 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 214 Posts

I love these cars! If I didn't have a 911 and S2k in my garage, I think I would seriously consider buying one of these. If they come out with a special edition, I still may pull the trigger and retire my S2k from track duty. I think it's great that these companies are making affordable sports cars.

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?