Notices

OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 04:28 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Did you have a Subaru dealer in mind? I'm curious whether or not they've managed to fulfill all Canadian orders or not as I read over the weekend all the US 2022 BRZs are accounted for and sold out.

No luck on getting Attrell on budging on $2K?
Putting down a fully refundable $1,000 deposit would get a 2023 build available in 3 to 4 months (I'm told).

I spoke with Atrell, and they offered for me to visit them again (and I may still), to discuss the price, but the phone conversation I had was more along the lines for me to see the value in paying a premium for a Toyota over the Sub, so I don't see them being able to bridge a $2200 gap to the BRZ to my satisfaction. A little ironic when the driveline is 100% subaru. Also, I like the red stitching in the leather BRZ over the all black leather interior of the 86. Is the Toyota worth more as a resale later on? Maybe..

Woodbridge Toyota has a red base model AT I test drove last week. Someone ordered it and did not qualify for financing.

As I said, I'm cross shopping this with the Nissan Z - call me crazy....

My local Subaru dealer is Marino's on the Queensway. I've been in there twice and the sales guy seems pretty OK.

Last edited by vetfever; 03-07-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:44 PM
Code Monkey
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe Subaru closed orders for 2022 models on January 13.
The following users liked this post:
s9ix (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:02 PM
s9ix
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Putting down a fully refundable $1,000 deposit would get a 2023 build available in 3 to 4 months (I'm told).

I spoke with Atrell, and they offered for me to visit them again (and I may still), to discuss the price, but the phone conversation I had was more along the lines for me to see the value in paying a premium for a Toyota over the Sub, so I don't see them being able to bridge a $2200 gap to the BRZ to my satisfaction. A little ironic when the driveline is 100% subaru. Also, I like the red stitching in the leather BRZ over the all black leather interior of the 86. Is the Toyota worth more as a resale later on? Maybe..

Woodbridge Toyota has a red base model AT I test drove last week. Someone ordered it and did not qualify for financing.

My local Subaru dealer is Marino's on the Queensway. I've been in there twice and the sales guy seems pretty OK.
Did not know they'd have the 2023s that early...
I was a bit bummed about the 2K difference for the same car, but honestly, the GR bumper and duckbill seems worth it to me (and I find the interior of the Premium GR a bit nicer/to my liking). That said, I managed to get $1K off the GR86 MSRP so that makes swallowing the pill easier.

The Z seemed interesting to me, but much heavier car. I'd sooner a Supra than the Z I think
Old 03-07-2022, 05:46 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s9ix
Did not know they'd have the 2023s that early...
I was a bit bummed about the 2K difference for the same car, but honestly, the GR bumper and duckbill seems worth it to me (and I find the interior of the Premium GR a bit nicer/to my liking). That said, I managed to get $1K off the GR86 MSRP so that makes swallowing the pill easier.

The Z seemed interesting to me, but much heavier car. I'd sooner a Supra than the Z I think
As an FYI, the Sub also has a duck bill spoiler, but you did well with the $1K discount. I didn’t think a dealer would budge that much in this market. I may go to Attrell, (or your dealer?) to give it a shot. I also like the all black side mirrors on the 86.

Agreed on the Nissan Z assessment. It’s a different car and maybe not a great DD. I’m in a constant state of evaluation 😂 and out-thinking myself.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:36 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Tough to say what Attrell will do. When we bought our car there five years ago, they totally surprised us. We went in to kick tires and expected them to laugh us out the door (when most of the other dealers did exactly that) and they really pulled through for us. I won't forget them for that and will always give them a fair chance to make a sale, and if not, c'est la vie.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:38 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Tough to say what Attrell will do. When we bought our car there five years ago, they totally surprised us. We went in to kick tires and expected them to laugh us out the door (when most of the other dealers did exactly that) and they really pulled through for us. I won't forget them for that and will always give them a fair chance to make a sale, and if not, c'est la vie.
As you're saying, it's worth a shot....worst they can say is no....
Old 03-08-2022, 09:45 AM
s9ix
Intermediate

As an FYI, the Sub also has a duck bill spoiler, but you did well with the $1K discount. I didn’t think a dealer would budge that much in this market. I may go to Attrell, (or your dealer?) to give it a shot. I also like the all black side mirrors on the 86.

Agreed on the Nissan Z assessment. It’s a different car and maybe not a great DD. I’m in a constant state of evaluation 😂 and out-thinking myself.
The Subaru (and Base GR86) duckbill is different - for the premium GR86, they tack on an even larger one on top which I personally love haha. But I've heard it's cheap enough to buy separately! +1 on the black side mirrors. I also am a sucker for the GR badging
Old 03-10-2022, 02:20 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Pulled the trigger. Silver BRZ on order - like the pic.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and who sent me messages - truly appreciated

Hurry up and wait now....

Last edited by vetfever; 03-10-2022 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 03:36 PM
s9ix
Intermediate

Whaaaat, congrats! Great choice, which dealer did you end up ordering at? We'll race to see who gets theirs first
Old 03-10-2022, 04:57 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s9ix
Whaaaat, congrats! Great choice, which dealer did you end up ordering at? We'll race to see who gets theirs first
Thanks 🙏. Subaru Mississauga. Mavis Road south of the 401.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Congrats .... i think people went to war and came home in shorter time than you will wait to get your car ..

But a great prize at the end ... will likely drive it off the lot and it will be worth more ...
Old 03-11-2022, 11:10 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Congrats, vetfever! Coincidentally, I went past Subaru Mississauga over the weekend and wondered, Hmm..could someone be buying a BRZ here?
Old 03-11-2022, 11:26 AM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations, and knowing you, the car will be enjoyed and well taken care of. Hope to see it this summer!
Old 03-11-2022, 03:16 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Congrats .... i think people went to war and came home in shorter time than you will wait to get your car ..

But a great prize at the end ... will likely drive it off the lot and it will be worth more ...
Congrats, vetfever! Coincidentally, I went past Subaru Mississauga over the weekend and wondered, Hmm..could someone be buying a BRZ here?
Originally Posted by Kelvin38
Congratulations, and knowing you, the car will be enjoyed and well taken care of. Hope to see it this summer!
Thanks all - it'll be a nice step up fun-wise from my current DD
Old 03-12-2022, 12:41 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats! Twins!

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?