Notices

OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 07:52 PM
Code Monkey
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Every single BRZ I know of that was super or turbocharged blew the OEM engine, sooner or later, at the track. Header + tune (and maybe e85) on a gen 2 should be close to or even with a mildly supercharged gen 1 (around 240 whp). In addition to the "big" improvements, gen 2 also has some very nice small fixes:
  • factory oil cooler/warmer (TBD if sufficient running 5w30 or 5w40 oil)
  • slightly beefed up transmission
  • supposedly less prone to fuel starvation at low fuel levels
  • supposedly beefier electric steering (gen 1's always quits for a split second going through turn 1 at Road Atlanta)

At VIR, a properly driven modded gen 1 (JDL 4-2-1, e85, 191 whp, slicks/scrubs, aero) runs a 2:07-2:08. With a min speed through the Hog Pen being 78-80 mph, the max speed on the front straight is 127-130 mph with braking at the 3 mark.

A stock gen 2 at the Lightning Lap was at 66 mph in the Hog Pen and still managed 126-127 mph on the front straight with braking at the 5 mark. Can't wait what a modded one can do.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:56 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
I’m getting a base manual 2022 BRZ for $35.5k CAD all included (including HST, AC tax, etc).
Can I get in on that action!!!???
Old 02-15-2022, 08:17 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Can I get in on that action!!!???
$31448 + HST = $35536 all in. The lease residuals were strong and lease rates were low too, so I decided to take their 2 year lease. I'll probably buy it out at the end of the lease unless I choose to upgrade. At $460.84/mo taxes included for a 2 year lease, it's cheaper to lease than a base model manual Corolla.

Last edited by wizee; 02-15-2022 at 08:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wizee:
bcrdukes (02-15-2022), westcoastj (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 08:50 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
$31448 + HST = $35536 all in. The lease residuals were strong and lease rates were low too, so I decided to take their 2 year lease. I'll probably buy it out at the end of the lease unless I choose to upgrade. At $460.84/mo taxes included for a 2 year lease, it's cheaper to lease than a base model manual Corolla.

The upgraded Sport Tech model price is $5105 more....

Last edited by vetfever; 02-15-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:56 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

The upgraded Sport Tech model is about $5K more....
$3k + tax more for the manual Sport-Tech at a place that doesn't mark up prices or tack on excessive BS fees. I tolerated the $300 tire warranty thing they tacked on. It should be possible to get a manual Sport Tech for around $39k all in.

I was happy with the base version, as all the mechanicals are the same, the base interior is fine for me, and I plan on swapping the tires out anyway so the tire difference doesn't matter to me. The base model also avoids the Starlink internet connectivity - I like my cars offline for privacy and security reasons.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:49 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

I got my sport tech for 200 bi-weekly for two years with 2k down. Yup, cheaper than a Corolla or Civic and way more fun.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:29 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
I picked one up as my daily in December and its really awesome, enjoying it for sure. Its pretty small inside so only an idiot would buy this car to take his kids to school and stuff. And thats what I do every day.

Very light, quick revving, quick to change direction and a lot of fun if you like the "slow car fast" kinda vibe. That said, compared to the first gen this is a rocket. I have a 981 Boxster and the acceleration numbers are very similar but of course they go about it differently. One thing to keep in mind, its a 30k-ish Japanese car, you are far from Porsche refinement.

Let me know if you have any questions.
How loud is it on the highway? I test drove the previous generation and the interior noise was a deal breaker.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:58 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
How loud is it on the highway? I test drove the previous generation and the interior noise was a deal breaker.
No one will call it quiet, thats for sure. My Boxster with the top up is easily quieter on the highway. There is a lot of road noise and the gearing keeps the engine in the sweet spot when you are doing 120-140. Its not buzzy but not quiet. I'd suggest a test drive for sure.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:09 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
I drove a GR86 yesterday including a short stint on the 410.

I would say Totally fine if you’re commuting and the highway portion of your drive at speed is 30 minutes or so. Turn up the stereo and it drowns everything out. Of course if you’re experiencing rush hour type traffic then road noise is not an issue as you’re not driving very fast.

probably wouldn’t be good for a major road trip where you’re driving 8+ hours in a day.

One amazing thing is the amount of leg room! It is fantastic! I am 6ft 4 with really long legs. I didn’t buy a 7th gen corvette because I just don’t fit. In The 86 I could totally stretch my legs. I am impressed.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 05:08 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Was your test drive with Attrell? If so, how was your experience?
Old 02-17-2022, 06:24 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I drove a GR86 yesterday including a short stint on the 410.

I would say Totally fine if you’re commuting and the highway portion of your drive at speed is 30 minutes or so. Turn up the stereo and it drowns everything out. Of course if you’re experiencing rush hour type traffic then road noise is not an issue as you’re not driving very fast.

probably wouldn’t be good for a major road trip where you’re driving 8+ hours in a day.

One amazing thing is the amount of leg room! It is fantastic! I am 6ft 4 with really long legs. I didn’t buy a 7th gen corvette because I just don’t fit. In The 86 I could totally stretch my legs. I am impressed.
Sounds like it could work for me. I do a monthly (or so) hwy trip from Ottawa to Brantford so I could put up with the sound once in a while or get someone to put insulation in. I'm driving an F80 M3 now but at some point I'll be looking for something else and I can't live with the G80 M3 grille. I need a back seat for the dogs and three pedals so if not 911 or M3, it's got to be Mustang or one of the twins. Maybe "slow car fast" would be the ticket.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:29 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Was your test drive with Attrell? If so, how was your experience?
Yup, Attrell Toyota in Brampton. Sales guy is Wai, he introduced me to the dealer principal who is a huge car guy. Both very nice guys.

I took out a red manual transmission, it was the higher level car with leather and alcantara (like) interior and 18 inch wheels.

Super fun car. Can’t get over how much leg room it has.

Last edited by vetfever; 02-18-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:46 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Wow they got the manual transmission in premium already? That was fast!

Yes, Philip is a huge car guy. Attrell has been good to me over the years and I would buy from them again.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:05 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Excellent feedback Lemikson. Question for you. There are some nice supercharger kits out there for the pre-2022 BRZ, FRS and 86 - priced $4 to $6K CDN. These kits up power and torque nicely, even above the 2022 numbers. A very clean low mileage version of either of these cars can be had for mid-$20's. Would adding a kit like this to the 2.0 litre car(s) make it as good/better than the 2022 cars?

In your opinion that is.....

Thanks
To sort the issues you talk about with the first gen 86, supercharging is preferred way to go. Edelbrock supercharger for linear delivery and simple install. Be careful with not starving the engine with fuel as the SC will max out factory fuel system. Fix is upgrading the injectors.

No real cons. Mind you as long as you don’t blow your engine lol . As some else mentioned they do. Especially if tracked and turboed. SC can and will pop the head gasket as well if you don’t know what you are doing.

As for pros - more linear power, no torque dip, no real degradation of fuel economy, great whine sounds and performing like having a slightly bigger NA motor under the hood.

It is not overpowering chassis and handling is uncompromised at all. My buddy has KW V3 coil overs, TRD sway bars and 9" wide wheels all around with 245s RE-71Rs.

Someone mentioned noise and amount of space. 2022 GR 86 is much more refined than the first gen. Unless you want Lexus like quite ride you will be OK. I drove the first gen down to Southern Indiana with the TRD Exhaust on her. So, preferences, I guess.

Leg room – there is no better car outside that is built around the driver. Period . Again, be also mindful this is still $35K car. But, she punches way beyond her weight and class. And this is affirmed by some very skilled and fast racers from the Big Track.

I am 6.0 tall, long arms long legs for my height – BB player lol… and the most comfortable driver’s position in any car ever. Basically, your hips are where the CG is. And drove way too many to list from beaters to super cars. As for room inside the cabin - no difference between 1st and 2nd gen.

Go get her, you wont regret once. Now, question between a clean one used first gen and supercharged and the 2022 GR86. In today’s stupid used car market, I would not go down pre-owned road. Makes no sense as price is severely inflated.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 01:12 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Lemikson
To sort the issues you talk about with the first gen 86, supercharging is preferred way to go. Edelbrock supercharger for linear delivery and simple install. Be careful with not starving the engine with fuel as the SC will max out factory fuel system. Fix is upgrading the injectors.

No real cons. Mind you as long as you don’t blow your engine lol . As some else mentioned they do. Especially if tracked and turboed. SC can and will pop the head gasket as well if you don’t know what you are doing.

As for pros - more linear power, no torque dip, no real degradation of fuel economy, great whine sounds and performing like having a slightly bigger NA motor under the hood.

It is not overpowering chassis and handling is uncompromised at all. My buddy has KW V3 coil overs, TRD sway bars and 9" wide wheels all around with 245s RE-71Rs.

Someone mentioned noise and amount of space. 2022 GR 86 is much more refined than the first gen. Unless you want Lexus like quite ride you will be OK. I drove the first gen down to Southern Indiana with the TRD Exhaust on her. So, preferences, I guess.

Leg room – there is no better car outside that is built around the driver. Period . Again, be also mindful this is still $35K car. But, she punches way beyond her weight and class. And this is affirmed by some very skilled and fast racers from the Big Track.

I am 6.0 tall, long arms long legs for my height – BB player lol… and the most comfortable driver’s position in any car ever. Basically, your hips are where the CG is. And drove way too many to list from beaters to super cars. As for room inside the cabin - no difference between 1st and 2nd gen.

Go get her, you wont regret once. Now, question between a clean one used first gen and supercharged and the 2022 GR86. In today’s stupid used car market, I would not go down pre-owned road. Makes no sense as price is severely inflated.

Good luck.
Once again, excellent feedback - bang on in fact now that I have driven the Gen 2 car. I'm close to ordering one. Can't decide between sliver and white.....

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone here have any experience with the Subaru/Toyota Twins - BRZ and GR86?