Notices

997 needs new battery cable and starter, where to get it done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 10:15 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 needs new battery cable and starter, where to get it done?

Three years ago, I was told by Robert Carroll at DFC that there is a 0.42V drop so be prepared for a need to replace the battery cable and maybe the starter. At the time, he recommended that I wait to have it done later. I have a feeling later is upon us! Even though my battery is only a couple of years old, the car won't start this last weekend after not having been driven for about a week. I have since plugged in the trickle-charger but haven't had a chance to try starting it again.

My question is, where can I go to have this issue looked after? It looks like Robert isn't at DFC anymore and although it looks like he's at Pfaff, Pfaff's website doesn't list him as one of their staff. I am in North York and am not going to be able to venture too far. I would like to go somewhere who is honest. I have gone to G-Tek and EU Autowerks many years ago but haven't heard many accolades here in the last few years.

Anyone has similar work done in their 997 in recent years can chime in on costs?

Thanks in advance!
Matt
Old 08-16-2021, 11:14 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

Hunter.

If only a few years old the battery should still have warranty, may be a date code on it

You're also very close to PCNT
Old 08-17-2021, 12:12 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I suggest trying to start the car first. then try boosting it if it doesn't start.
did he say why he recommended replacing the battery cable?
I would test the alternator first and guess it may be the regulator (common issue).
Let's not jump the gun and discuss replacing parts when you haven't even tried it....maybe you left a light on or door open?
If you like going to the dealer I have found Porsche Centre North Toronto (in North York) very nice...they even have espresso. I am sure they can test an alternator and change a battery.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:29 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

If going to Porsche Centre North Toronto, my experience with Navin Pillai (Service Advisor) has been consistently great.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:24 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Thanks Dan, I should add that from what I recall (the car only gets driven maybe three four times a month from say April to Nov) the car has been slow turnover this year. Maybe it is just the battery. I certainly hope so.

DFC measured the drop in voltage to be 0.42 in 2018 when Robert suggested to have a thorough inspection instead of doing "Major Maintenance" given the way the car is being used. I think the measurement is done from the starter to the battery but not 100% certain.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:25 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MattAu
Thanks Dan, I should add that from what I recall (the car only gets driven maybe three four times a month from say April to Nov) the car has been slow turnover this year. Maybe it is just the battery. I certainly hope so.

DFC measured the drop in voltage to be 0.42 in 2018 when Robert suggested to have a thorough inspection instead of doing "Major Maintenance" given the way the car is being used. I think the measurement is done from the starter to the battery but not 100% certain.
Not sure about DIY'ing the battery cable but a battery is very easy

I installed an Everstart Maxx H7 94R from wal mart for under $160 on my dad's 997.2

Higher CCA than stock Moll battery
Old 08-17-2021, 10:27 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Oh yes, the battery I put in the last two times and is no big deal. The cable is a completely different story!
Old 08-17-2021, 10:54 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 136 Posts

Spilled milk, but the car should be on a trickle charger at all times.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:00 AM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Matt
The "wont start" issue has come up on the 997 boards very often and there are many threads discussing this fault.
Personally, i would do a few simple things to see if you could resolve this problem without the use of a mechanic.
No guarantees that it will be fixed but you might solve the issue, and save yourself some big money.
if you interested, let me know. and i will post a few threads that are helpful.

Last edited by molson cdn; 08-17-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: missed info
Old 08-17-2021, 03:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Before you fire the parts cannon at it, get the car properly diagnosed by someone that knows electrical circuits. Doesn't even need to be a Porsche mechanic but someone that is good troubleshooting electrical problems. Saying it needs a cable and/or a starter is the lazy way of saying they don't really know what the problem is.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

just put an ampmeter on it.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:10 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Thanks!

Are you referring to these two:

How to replace your starter/alternator cable to cure slow starts on the 997.1 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
DIY Starter/Battery Cable Replacement - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 08-18-2021, 12:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Jesus what kind of crap are they making cars out of these days ?? its a copper cored cable.... they should outlive the car 10 fold.. a cable that carries the kind of current required to turn a starter motor should never "go bad" i dont even buy corroded connections as the 13-15mm nut usually clamping this cable on should be very robust,
Old 08-18-2021, 02:52 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are a Costco member, they carry a H7 / 94R battery. Better price than Wal-Mart and I think warranty better. Reality is that both are made by Johnson Controls. I have used both in my 2007 C4S.
Agree with others, I would start with a new battery and you should keep on a maintainer if you are not driving at least once every 10 days as there is a ongoing draw from the electronics when the car is parked.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:03 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonKM
If you are a Costco member, they carry a H7 / 94R battery. Better price than Wal-Mart and I think warranty better. Reality is that both are made by Johnson Controls. I have used both in my 2007 C4S.
Agree with others, I would start with a new battery and you should keep on a maintainer if you are not driving at least once every 10 days as there is a ongoing draw from the electronics when the car is parked.
The battery that's in the car is from Costco and I installed it in July 2020. That's why I am thinking it's not a simple battery issue. The last battery was from Walmart and I installed it in Aug 2010. Driving pattern has been very similar in the last 10 yrs.

I have had the car since 2009 and have only plugged the trickle charger in during the winter months when the car isn't being driven. From roughly April to November, I haven't been plugging the car in, sometime even when I was away on 2-3 weeks vacation aboard. Maybe the Costco battery isn't as good as the Energizer from Walmart?

I am hoping it's not the cable but my understanding from reading the forum is it's not the connection to the battery that's the issue but it's the connector to the starter. I would much rather be wrong and maybe it's just enough drain in the 7-8 days of not having driven it that caused the starting problem. I should also add that the car has been slow to start in the last little while but did start every time from cold and hot. This most recent problem is starting from cold after not having driven it for 7-8 days.

Quick Reply: 997 needs new battery cable and starter, where to get it done?