Notices

Canadian F1 officially cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:10 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie

Our September Race in Mt Tremblant is still scheduled but I'm not keeping high hopes!
As far as I know all events including HPDEs at Tremblant are still a go for this summer.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:45 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

you sure? Lucky Dog Racing on May 24 Weekend is currently good to go, i have so many customers getting their cars ready in a panic

however we have cancelled our Speed Therapy Track Day May 10th only
My understanding is that yes, all forms of motorsports are currently not allowed. My son races karts and all the go kart clubs in the province have cancelled their race days that are in the beginning of May. All the tracks are all closed at the moment and not even practice is allowed. Your event is at the end of May so there is a chance that the restriction on motorsports will be lifted by then but be prepared if they aren't. I would check with the local health department and by-law when it's getting closer to race day.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:15 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I'm betting the Toronto Indy and IMSA will be next.
Don't know about the Indy Race, but the IMSA event was cancelled last week. It will be held at Watkins Glen instead. As a result WG will have races on two weekends back to back...
Old 04-30-2021, 11:57 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

you sure? Lucky Dog Racing on May 24 Weekend is currently good to go, i have so many customers getting their cars ready in a panic

however we have cancelled our Speed Therapy Track Day May 10th only
Originally Posted by Imo000
My understanding is that yes, all forms of motorsports are currently not allowed. My son races karts and all the go kart clubs in the province have cancelled their race days that are in the beginning of May. All the tracks are all closed at the moment and not even practice is allowed. Your event is at the end of May so there is a chance that the restriction on motorsports will be lifted by then but be prepared if they aren't. I would check with the local health department and by-law when it's getting closer to race day.
Originally Posted by vetfever
Don't know about the Indy Race, but the IMSA event was cancelled last week. It will be held at Watkins Glen instead. As a result WG will have races on two weekends back to back...
All motorsport businesses in Ontario are closed under the current provincial lockdown until May 20th (https://www.ontario.ca/page/enhancin...ewide-shutdown, bottom paragraph).

The reason F1 is not coming to Montreal is that the federal government will not allow F1 teams and crews to come in the country and work without first quarantining for 14 days upon entry (even with daily testing and bubble/movement restrictions as they can only travel from the track to their hotel and back).

Same challenge applies to IMSA teams and crews.

I fear that the Lucky Dog race at CTMP on May 22-23 is going to be a freakin' carnage. No one in the province has had any opportunity for any track time since the end of last season, there is ZERO practice before the race on Saturday morning, and then they're going to let young untrained drivers loose at CTMP. As much as I like and support Chuck / LDRC, we are skipping it for that reason only. We'll be at Calabogie in early June, but we have at least three track days planned beforehand to mentally get up to speed.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:01 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

In other (partially related) news, apparently Bell just bought the Octane Racing Group (the Montreal F1 race organizers):

https://www.newswire.ca/fr/news-rele...804509822.html
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...ne/ar-BB1gdrSW
https://www.thestar.com/sports/auto-...group-inc.html

Last edited by 928gt; 04-30-2021 at 12:02 PM.