Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
Don't forget Ludwig Heimrath Scott Goodyear, and Paul Tracy

And Robert Wickens he was on the rise until the race accident.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by DJF1
I think part of the problem Imre is jealousy. There are a lot of people who take issue with success and successful people, at one point in my career I faced exactly that. Jealousy and vile made up lies which were transmitted in "stories". I tend not to believe them because of my own exposure to that kind of ugliness. I would venture to say that Lance must have a very thick skin to overcome the jealousy and vile that is thrown against him. All because his Dad bought/guaranteed his way in. If I had his money I would have done the same for my son. we all within our means provide the best for our kids. I find absolutely nothing wrong with that. If we can afford it, wouldn't we all support our kids with the best education that we can afford? Why would that be wrong or any different than Stroll Sr. supporting his son's passion and ability? Lance he is an F4 Italian Champ, an F3 Euro Champ and 2 time podium finisher in F1 so far with inferior machinery. He outqualified his vastly more experienced teammate not only once and during the first 10 laps of the last race he was posting FTD's lap after lap. To call him incompetent, not worthy of an F1 drive, Daddy's cash etc I think its misplaced and unfounded. The guy, money or not, he has that something that cant be taught by any teacher to be able to not only drive but drive competitively an F1 car. He does have a unique ability that only a small percentage of the population has. The same thing went for Rosberg. how many people were on the same bandwagon about him like Lance? In his early Mercedes years with Schumi, everyone was saying that Schumi was not as fast as he once was, that is why Rosberg was faster...But was he??? Rosberg is the only one so far really that beat Hamilton in the same machinery in the last few dominating years. it may have taken the best out of him to do it, but he did it. He was a special talent all along, but people from the get go branded him Daddy's name and cash, much like Lance. How about Mick Schumacher? Is he also Daddy's cash? How about our last Canadian World Champ. JV? WHERE will this stop????

To get to F1 you need money. Lots and lots of money. Is it fair? as much as I would like to think that its unfair, it is what it is. It started as a " Gentleman's sport" a sport for the wealthy and it does continue to be. All the F1 drivers really come supported, either by family or sponsors. To crack the door open then you need money. Lots of money. Once you are in though you need talent to keep your job. One might say, Stroll Sr has given job security to Jr. Sure. I buy that. what I dont buy is that he is void of talent. Compare the other pay driver Latiffi. Stroll in his first year at Williams he scored a podium. Latiffi keeps on spinning like a ballerina even though he is vastly more experienced racer and older than Lance. Was he short in cash in his career? i doubt it. Can he drive an F1 car. Sure. I think he is the typical pay driver. Fast enough to circulate around without been totally embarrassed, but that is that. Lance is not that driver.

Some will argue about talent and how you define it. I take my own incompetence as an example and examples of talent I see in my 10 year old. I raced with PCA. Not successfully. That was my dream. It took money to accomplish I was fine with that. Never went in with grand dreams. My son did his first full season of racing in Karts at our local club. He blew the doors off other kids based on his own talent and ability. His last race, he posted the FTD for ALL classes that raced that day, young to old. In the same kart he was a full second faster than any other kid that day that raced that Kart that day. Hes had minimal coaching really. He can be the fastest on the day or mess it up as its all in his head. When he is on it, he is something else. He made a pass on his last race that was awesome. It was precise and surgical. At the end I told him of how great that was and he just looked at me and said "it was all planned". "I worked on it the previous lap, saw what he was doing and I knew exactly what to do." I smiled, that type of thinking as a rookie in the heat of the intense karting battles requires that bit of special something that I know he did not get from me. Does that make him an F1 prospect? I dont have the money to find out really, but what it demonstrated to me loud and clear the difference between the have's and the have not's. I think Lance is on the have's category, Latiffi is on the have not's.

I watched the GP live via the F1 TV. F1TV is absolutely awesome. Right before Lance's pit stop he has started loosing ground due to graining. Still when he was asked by his engineer to box, Lance said no... he asked do we have to do this? He was forced to pit and with the front wing issue, he was a done deal. If he had stayed out where would have he finished? Why the team did not bring Perez in too?? If Lance was the problem wouldn't the team pull in Perez in as he is in everyone's eyes a superior driver, a talent etc???

I just think the kid deserves a break from hate spiting public. He was lucky to be born in money and its not his fault. He has not committed a crime either. It is everyone's choice to support him or not. I personally think he drove the doors of this car in that race with so much adverse condition, you cant do that if you are not talented enough, so out of his performance he has won my support and I hope that he does well.

here is an article from people who unlike us, are experts:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...eoff-pole-laps

Fair enough Danny but when you talk to so many people in the karting world and they all say same similar things, at some point you start thinking there is something to it. Why are they hating him so much when others that made it in the car racing world are celebrated? What gives? I don't think Jealousy is enough. Stroll Sr. must have pissed off a lot of people to gain that legacy. Also the path Lance had to take to get the proper licenses so he can drive F1 is not what a talented driver does, even if they have unlimited money.

Our kids will never get to any level of professional competition because we don't have the funds for it. Even if they are the best of the best, the Strolls of the world will trample over them but that doesn't matter to me. My son and I are doing this to make him a better person and most importantly have fun while doing it. This year he was on the podium almost every race but last year he wasn't that's fine by me.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

there is no doubt money is a huge factor .. we are certainly not seeing the best drivers in the world, we are seeing the best drivers in the world with the money to get them there.

HAAS team is a perfect example of that . They openly stated they need money and the driver change has a lot to do with it. Not because they werent doing well, but because they needed drivers who would bring sponsorship and money.

Makes my wonder how many gifted drivers are out there that could easily displace the current 26 drivers we currently see but never got the opportunity because of no $$$$

some kid delivering pizzas in his chevette who longs to just see a F1 race.

just food for thought.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:05 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Our kids will never get to any level of professional competition because we don't have the funds for it.
I completely agree with the point that you and others are making, that being wealthy is a huge advantage to advancing in racing. As well, although I believe Lance has more talent than pretty much anybody I know personally, he is not top-F1 level, just a notch or two below.

But, I would also observe that the the two guys with 14 world championships between them both came from humble backgrounds...
Old 11-18-2020, 02:09 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
But, I would also observe that the the two guys with 14 world championships between them both came from humble backgrounds...
Lauda, Prost, Schumy and Lewis came from modest families. Not sure about others.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:44 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

some kid delivering pizzas in his chevette who longs to just see a F1 race.

just food for thought.[/QUOTE]

Pun intended I hope :-)
Old 11-19-2020, 05:10 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
I completely agree with the point that you and others are making, that being wealthy is a huge advantage to advancing in racing. As well, although I believe Lance has more talent than pretty much anybody I know personally, he is not top-F1 level, just a notch or two below.

Not exactly. From the age of 10 he was being funded by Ron in karting. At one point when he was in his early teens he even had team mechanic's working on his car.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/mo...ennis-21834050
Old 11-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Not exactly. From the age of 10 he was being funded by Ron in karting. At one point when he was in his early teens he even had team mechanic's working on his car.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/mo...ennis-21834050

Yes we all know this and it was a sponsorship that was evaluated on a yearly basis... In other words if he did not perform at a certain level, he would lose that sponsorship.

However because he was really that good (natural talent), he kept having his contract renewed.

BTW, find some of the early videos of Lewis racing in karting and you'll see how he was already kicking everyone's ***.

Lewis' family came from very modest background and in no way did he or some of the others named above come from a Billionaire father who basically bought everything for his son to succeed (built his own track, bought the best engineers, bought an incredible amount of kart chassis, engines and so on).

And Lance's F3 championship was won again with some of the best if not the best engineers working behind him (I believe they came from Ferrari) and also IIRC that year in F3, half the field could or did not participate in the series because of lack of money.

Last edited by Jet Jockey; 11-19-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

Where are the Lawrence Stroll **** talkers today?
Old 12-06-2020, 04:57 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice consistent drive by Lance and a great job getting on the podium for the second time this season. That being said I think my local Canadian Tire could do a better job at changing tires than the boys in the Mercedes garage pulled off today. Nothing to do with Russel's puncture of course but that looked like amateur hour out there for a bit in the pits. Hopefully many more podiums to come Lance's way.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:08 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

"Where are the Lawrence Stroll **** talkers today?"

Ok, I'll start...

LOL... Still a second rate driver at best! Chico is a better driver and Lance is the one that should have been let go!

Lol at Stroll sr. saying in the interview they won it on merit!

Never mind that Leclerc is responsible for the incident that took himself and Max out of the race on the first corner, taking one possibly two very fast drivers out of the race, that the Mercedes clan was acting more like the Ferrari clan in handling that pit stop and ended up screwing both drivers especially Bottas who ended up with his old used hard tires to finish the race and that Russell got a puncture when he was about to pounce and most likely take over the lead of the race.

Yeah they won it on their own merit... what a farce!

This said I will give all credits to the team and especially Perez for an outstanding race under those circumstances. He drove a fantastic race from the 18th position after the Leclerc clash to winning it... very happy for him! Again he prove he was a much better driver than Lance will ever be.

Last edited by Jet Jockey; 12-06-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Lance got lucky by staying out of the $hitsow. Perez is the one that drove fantastically and I feel really sorry for Russell. But that's racing, sometimes you get lucky so take it because it doesn't happen too often.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:51 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Lance got lucky by staying out of the $hitsow. Perez is the one that drove fantastically and I feel really sorry for Russell. But that's racing, sometimes you get lucky so take it because it doesn't happen too often.

Lance simply does not deserve that seat. Mistakes and inconsistent all year long...
Old 12-07-2020, 11:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

can you imagine racing point with Perez and a rejuvenated Vettel ??? with that reliable Mercedes engine ? now that would have been entertaining next year..

a good consolation prize would be to watch Perez in a redbull ... speaking of undeserving drivers... i think Albon has done nothing .. kind of like Stroll , an average driver in a decent car.. i think the problem red bull has is they are constantly stroking Max's ego and Max does not want to be challenged on the team by Perez.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

What George Russel showed was that equipment makes all the difference and the difference between the drivers is so little that it's almost statistically insignificant.

Quick Reply: Stroll Puts it on Pole