Notices

I just signed up for crossborderpickups

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 12:56 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I also have a package arrived at Shippsy on Monday, it is now in Transit to Toronto
My package is ready for pickup at Shippsy Markham so all in all take 3 days, not bad.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:31 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

My package is ready for pickup at Shippsy Markham so all in all take 3 days, not bad.
Mine too. Also got the CBP email yesterday afternoon, that package is in transit to Toronto now, so its close behind.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,062 Likes on 757 Posts

Well after the weighing of pros and cons i think for now i will have my major packages shipped to CBP. The main reason is the possibility of extra duty. It seems shippsy want a letter showing country of origin , and as we know almost nothing is manufactured in the US it means extra charges, when i bring them over my self i am never asked this, and from what I am hearing CBP doesnt either.
The item I have ordered is about 700.00 plus HST so another 2 or 3 % starts to add up.
item is scheduled to ship next month so we will see

Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well after the weighing of pros and cons i think for now i will have my major packages shipped to CBP. The main reason is the possibility of extra duty. It seems shippsy want a letter showing country of origin , and as we know almost nothing is manufactured in the US it means extra charges, when i bring them over my self i am never asked this, and from what I am hearing CBP doesnt either.
The item I have ordered is about 700.00 plus HST so another 2 or 3 % starts to add up.
item is scheduled to ship next month so we will see
CBP used to ask the customer to fill in County of Origin info in their on-line form when they notify you to fill in the info, However I have noticed in recent transactions CBP often, if not always, fill that in themselves now, including some key fob remote, cigarette lighter adaptor, and key chain I ordered from Suncoast last summer, where CBP entered China as country of origin, I thought maybe they were when CBP opened the the package, or the shipping documents indicated that, which meant duty was charged against this shipment.

When I opened up the package, which had not been opened by CBP or anyone else, I was ticked off to find out ALL these parts were made in Germany as I had expected.

I couldn’t be bothered to go back and challenge CBP for the incorrect Country of Origin they entered, as it may not have made any difference between China or Germany as the county of country of origin.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aviography
CBP used to ask the customer to fill in County of Origin info in their on-line form when they notify you to fill in the info, However I have noticed in recent transactions CBP often, if not always, fill that in themselves now, including some key fob remote, cigarette lighter adaptor, and key chain I ordered from Suncoast last summer, where CBP entered China as country of origin, I thought maybe they were when CBP opened the the package, or the shipping documents indicated that, which meant duty was charged against this shipment.

When I opened up the package, which had not been opened by CBP or anyone else, I was ticked off to find out ALL these parts were made in Germany as I had expected.

I couldn’t be bothered to go back and challenge CBP for the incorrect Country of Origin they entered, as it may not have made any difference between China or Germany as the county of country of origin.
Ken i think you are correct and it makes very little or no difference. it has to be manufactured in the US to be part of free trade agreement, manufactured outside of the US and additional import charges apply. ( at least thats how i understand it )
Old 01-16-2021, 07:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

The more i use these services the more of a headache i think it all is and cant wait for the border just to open so i can drive over and back in 1/2 an hour and be done..

so the latest .....

My intercooler kit showed up in two boxes.. i imagine the intercooler and the associated parts... CBP is rightly enough processing them as separate shipments, but they are asking for invoice documents for both as they are listed as seperate entries ... I dont know what is in what box, and i sure dont want to attach the invoice on both as i'm sure i will get double billed on the tax.

has anyone else run into this ??

edit .. okay I RTFM and found some information on it. ... apparently i was plying in the first one and it wont let me link the 2 packages now so i will continue to play .

oh as a note CBP definitely asks for Country of origin too of the kit and you have to choose from a drop down, Not sure if i should just put the US as i do have a document saying the kit was created in the US , or if i have to dig deeper and find out where each component is made.

any help appreciated as this is my first time using the service.

I will call them Monday but figured someone here might be able to guide me.

Thanks

Last edited by theiceman; 01-16-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:11 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
so the latest .....
1. I never once bothered to upload any invoice, I just declared value. If I am in your shoe, I'd split the value between the 2 packages

2. If I were you, I put country of origin as USA

Disclaimer: the above suggestions are purely hypothetical so follow them at your own risks

Last edited by lowbee; 01-17-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:03 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Clive, e-mail them at customerservice@crossborderpickups.ca or use the chat function (you can send the question now, they will respond on Monday). They've been very responsive every time I did ask a question. I just got a small parcel and it was painless, took 2 or 3 days from the moment it was delivered for them to load into the system so that I could create the shipping invoice and then another 2 or 3 days to cross the border. They did say they will charge storage fees even if there is a lockdown, I went to pick it up from Kamato Rd last Wednesday (or you can have it sent to you if you pay extra)

Country of origin - don't complicate matters, it is USA. Plus you have bought a kit, you did not buy the parts separately and do not have individual prices for parts. Potential issue is if the seller has included a proforma with all the items and the country of origin for each one (this applies if customs opens the package to inspect it). I assume you don't have that proforma = you did not know.

George
Old 01-17-2021, 02:51 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

1. I never once bothered to upload any invoice, I just declared value. If I am in your shoe, I'd split the value between the 2 packages

2. If I were you, I put country of origin as USA

Disclaimer: the above suggestions are purely hypothetical so follow them at your own risks
I am with lowbee on this. Hypothetically speaking you can enter any value within reason, since there is no invoice included with the package, they have no way of checking what you actually paid.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by olegd
I am with lowbee on this. Hypothetically speaking you can enter any value within reason, since there is no invoice included with the package, they have no way of checking what you actually paid.

Well i am not sure if the new format has changed as it will not allow you to process without attaching an invoice document. You have to attach and upload it. I have no problem with that is i always claim correct amount anyway. After you have attached the invoice you " approve" what you have attached and all the information you have entered before it takes you to the next level.
Anyway some really good advice to all here so thanks all

George I emailed on the weekend so hopefully looking for some help today from them

I am not really in any hurry but sure dont want to pay storage fees.

Thanks Guys

Old 01-18-2021, 05:17 PM
aviography
Drifting

Clive,

Uploading invoice? I've never been asked to do that, including a small package I purchased last week, CBP notification linked me to an app to set up when i clicked on it, It did ask for country of origin and declared value etc. but not to upload invoice, possibly due to the low vale of the goods. The app also allowed me to pay for all the charges (HST and CBP service) so all I have to do is go pick up.

BTW, someone mentioned the invoice is not attached to the packages, well maybe not in some cases, however many times in my experience the invoices are inside the package, which is irrelevant until CBP becomes mandated to validate declared amount matches the invoice before package is released.

As for timeline:
- Received notification from seller Thursday at 7:30pm package has been delivered to CBP in Niagara Falls NY
- Received notification from CBP Friday at 9:30am package has been received at Niagara Falls NY, I entered the required info right away via the app
- Received notification from CBP Monday at 3:30pm the package is ready for pick up in Mississauga

Pretty impressive service!

Last edited by aviography; 01-19-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:51 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

From my experience, whenever an invoice is in the box, CBP calculates duties and taxes based in that, without asking me to declare.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:59 PM
aviography
Drifting

From my experience, whenever an invoice is in the box, CBP calculates duties and taxes based in that, without asking me to declare.
But that would mean CBP opens every package to look for invoice? That has not been my experience, in fact not a single package I have received showed signs CBP had opened them.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:54 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aviography
But that would mean CBP opens every package to look for invoice? That has not been my experience, in fact not a single package I have received showed signs CBP had opened them.
They do open them. Maybe they let small ones through unchecked, but they definitely open larger ones. Shippsy takes it a step further and takes photos of the box and its contents (which you can review on their portal)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:49 PM
aviography
Drifting

They do open them. Maybe they let small ones through unchecked, but they definitely open larger ones. Shippsy takes it a step further and takes photos of the box and its contents (which you can review on their portal)
Good to know, likely to look out for people using CBP to smuggle contraband items, the last time I got bigger items through CBP was suspension control arms from Rock Auto two years ago, I don’t recall the blue Rock Auto packing tape being compromised that time.

Quick Reply: I just signed up for crossborderpickups