997.1 performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:19 PM
Tavis Roberge
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 performance parts

Good morning,

I have a 2005 C2S that will need a clutch and some other maint over the winter, I am looking for a shop in Canada to help me out. the car has intake, exhaust, headers and a tune so I am after a more aggressive clutch. the car will get to the track... if I get any days off. the tune is also a "canned" tune so there is some potential left I feel. long term plan is to stroke up to 4.0 or better and make more power. all the mechanical work would be done by me, future engine work would be completed by a competent Porsche engine builder.

list of things to do,
clutch
IMS (not sure if I can being a 05)
RMS
baffled pan and or spacer.
160 degree thermostat
water pump and belt
timing chain guides (bits in the oil filter)
AOS
trans mount
third radiator ducted up to GT3 "smile" vent
Tuning possibly
new injectors.

I did talk to a shop who basically told me if its not a turbo or a GT3 its all a waist of time...

Old 09-30-2020, 04:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Canada's a pretty big place so knowing where you are would be helpful for anyone looking to make a suggestion.

As far as mods, you might find the 997 forum of great help as well.

Are all these items on your list required ie why new injectors or an AOS? Why do you want a more aggressive clutch as the existing mods wont add much power and the OE clutch is pretty good

Replacing parts that require it are not a waste of time but adding some of the others are really about personal preference (gt smile etc)

I have a 4L with a tune and if you are really about more power then you will spend less money and add more power by selling it and buying a turbo. You are not going to get 480hp out of a NA 2005 no matter what you do to it (unless adding a turbo or doing an engine swap)

A 4L rebuild is timing consuming and $$$ and you cant replicate a turbos performance. Its a labour of love for sure and you would get a unique car but you will never get a return on your capital if thats any concern at all. As far as a custom tune, i tried a few places in TO and didnt get any confidence it could be done well. Ultimately went with Softronics given their long history of decent and safe tunes
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Tavis Roberge
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I am out in Northern B.C.

my factory clutch is worn out, it slips on spirited take offs and I am in the habit of always upgrading when replacing parts. also I will replace the flywheel at the same time.
injectors are because the car is 15 years old and they do not work as well as new.
AOS shows symptoms of failing.

not interested in return on capital, I have the car because I enjoy it. 480HP would be a big improvement.

I did miss one part on my list and that's a limited slip diff, the open setup in the car is frustrating and unpredictable, semi solid motor mounts helped but its not as good as it could be.

thanks for the tuning info.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Tavis Roberge
Good morning,

I have a 2005 C2S that will need a clutch and some other maint over the winter, I am looking for a shop in Canada to help me out. the car has intake, exhaust, headers and a tune so I am after a more aggressive clutch. the car will get to the track... if I get any days off. the tune is also a "canned" tune so there is some potential left I feel. long term plan is to stroke up to 4.0 or better and make more power. all the mechanical work would be done by me, future engine work would be completed by a competent Porsche engine builder.

list of things to do,
clutch
RMS
160 degree thermostat
water pump and belt
AOS
trans mount
Tuning possibly
new injectors.

I did talk to a shop who basically told me if its not a turbo or a GT3 its all a waist of time...
i guess what they really told you is if its not a Metzger its not worth doing. But fortunately for you its your money and choice not theirs.
I know a few guys have actually sent their engines off to the US to have work done.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

I am out in Northern B.C.

my factory clutch is worn out, it slips on spirited take offs and I am in the habit of always upgrading when replacing parts. also I will replace the flywheel at the same time.
injectors are because the car is 15 years old and they do not work as well as new.
AOS shows symptoms of failing.

not interested in return on capital, I have the car because I enjoy it. 480HP would be a big improvement.

I did miss one part on my list and that's a limited slip diff, the open setup in the car is frustrating and unpredictable, semi solid motor mounts helped but its not as good as it could be.

thanks for the tuning info.
Yes 480 would be nice but you need to go turbo to get it.

For the 4L, I believe Hartech does boring in Calgary and there is also LN in the US but not lots of options for this. Lots of guys who can put the car back together but I dont know the BC market

Originally Posted by theiceman
i guess what they really told you is if its not a Metzger its not worth doing. But fortunately for you its your money and choice not theirs.
I know a few guys have actually sent their engines off to the US to have work done.
That would be my guess as well re Mezger. To be honest I would never purchase another M96/97 engine again. If i wanted to go 997 again it would have to be turbo/gt3. The 4L rebuild solves the scoring issue but if its pure power you want then its not the best option
Old 10-01-2020, 11:16 AM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

@vern1 what's your feedback on the 4L? Curious what route you went if you don't mind sharing. I've looked at a few (LN, RND) as well as a local builder in Ontario and there never seem to be any concrete numbers around power. I have no issues with my motor yet and am very fond of my 996, but have been debating whether it's worth continuing to mod this platform or move to a 997.2 if I continue to track (seems to be where they all blow up, and even I've had some issues).
Old 10-01-2020, 03:27 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Northern BC? Like how north? One time shipping of the car, we'll ok. Its only one trip.
But if your looking to build something that will be requiring a lot of careful once a month maintenance?
A crazy hot super model, would no be for me.

You want to go to the track, but actually don't because you can't make the time? Go rent a race car for the track for that once or twice a year.

This winter, stock like clutch, if your dropping the engine, water pump, belts rollers, ims, rms, plugs, coils. $1500-2k
Hack the exhaust, slightly louder, will feed your racecar inner child (I mean this in a loving way)

I need turn key. With minimum drama, or KaB00M-ness.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 10-01-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:34 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by triggz82
@vern1 what's your feedback on the 4L? Curious what route you went if you don't mind sharing. I've looked at a few (LN, RND) as well as a local builder in Ontario and there never seem to be any concrete numbers around power. I have no issues with my motor yet and am very fond of my 996, but have been debating whether it's worth continuing to mod this platform or move to a 997.2 if I continue to track (seems to be where they all blow up, and even I've had some issues).
Yes there has been some debate on power improvements and a lack of dyno data for 4L. My car has not been dyno'd either but here is my take on it: Raby has said in at least 1 thread that his 4L (stage 1 i believe) conservatively put out an additional 35hp. Raby did not build my engine but I use that as a conservative baseline number. Softronic tune adds dyno proven 24hp/tq to a base 3.8L 997. I also have headers, 200 cell cats, IPD plenum and a gt3 throttle body. Now just adding the increase from the tune and the increased bore would give you around 415hp, with no improvement given for the rest of the add ons. So i figure my car is somewhere in the 400-415 hp range but thats just my educated guess.

I tracked this car before the bore scoring and subsequent rebuild but dont really intend to track it now because, too be honest, I have put too much time and money in to it, to risk it. As I have said before, if i wanted something for the track (or even as a daily tbh), and wanted to go with a 997, it would have to be a turbo/gt3 for the mezger engine and avoid all the bs probs with the m96/97

You can go 997.2 but they have also had scoring issues; not as prevalent as the 997.1 but it happens. Again a subject of much debate on the 997 forum.

There is a long build thread on my car on the 997 forum, just search under my name. LN did my block and the engine was re&re here. LN does the blocks down there but Flat6 does the rebuild work. I thought RND just did resleeved 3.8's but maybe they now have a 4L - dont know as I havent looked in a while

Prob more info than you wanted but there ya go

Old 10-02-2020, 11:33 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 209 Posts

Good morning,

list of things to do,
clutch
RMS
160 degree thermostat
water pump and belt
AOS
trans mount
Tuning possibly
new injectors.

Sounds like you just want to spend money.
Why not just get a turbo sticker.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:47 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

IMHO a 997 base Carerra or a S is all about handling. Not straight line performance. Depends where you live. If you have alot of open hwy in your area, I think you have the wrong car. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 997.1 performance parts