Notices

Watching sports not on cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i think a lot of what is mentioned above is illegal and is essentially stolen content, but for many people they will justify it as "grey" because by nature they are cheap and will defend their positions, so lets not go there. That said i know for a fact as many of you do, the big 3 ( Bell, Rogers Telus, ) are putting huge pressure on the the CRTC to be able to IP block for stolen content ( IP TV and your 15 dollar a month subscriptions) so the landscape may change going forward if they get their way . ( Personally i think its the governments fault in the first place for letting Bell and Rogers Collude to create a Monopoly of the market and can influence pedal at will to get their way. )

So trying to keep things out of the grey zone, how much is TSN.ca subscription exactly ?
I think with Tek Savy unlimited internet, netflix streaming and a TSN.ca service everything would be above board and you would still be way ahead.

I have already dropped my ridiculous Bell Fibe 25/10 internet and gone tech savy 150/15 at about 2/3 the price . I am now looking at Tek savy TV and other options as Rod is.
Everything I use is completely above board no gray area its all Canadian no US vpn hack. You pay for what you subscribe to and cancel/reinstate any time you want.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:02 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Lol who gives a crap about "illegal" the cable companies have been ****ing everyone for years. **** them. Only sports I watch are EU football with DAZN and F1TV.

​​​​​​
Old 07-11-2020, 01:17 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

i think a lot of what is mentioned above is illegal and is essentially stolen content, but for many people they will justify it as "grey" because by nature they are cheap and will defend their positions, so lets not go there. That said i know for a fact as many of you do, the big 3 ( Bell, Rogers Telus, ) are putting huge pressure on the the CRTC to be able to IP block for stolen content ( IP TV and your 15 dollar a month subscriptions) so the landscape may change going forward if they get their way . ( Personally i think its the governments fault in the first place for letting Bell and Rogers Collude to create a Monopoly of the market and can influence pedal at will to get their way. )

So trying to keep things out of the grey zone, how much is TSN.ca subscription exactly ?
I think with Tek Savy unlimited internet, netflix streaming and a TSN.ca service everything would be above board and you would still be way ahead.

I have already dropped my ridiculous Bell Fibe 25/10 internet and gone tech savy 150/15 at about 2/3 the price . I am now looking at Tek savy TV and other options as Rod is.
it's not grey area, it is legal and well documented I believe. so you bring it up but say don't want to go there.
And protecting Rogers and Bell is ridiculous as they have zero ethics, they have broken privacy laws, overcharged at every opportunity and in my books 2 of the worst run businesses (in terms of dealing with them from consumer point of view).
good luck subscribing to NHL or TSN as they will not broadcast to you local games, I signed up for NHL package 2 years ago only to cancel because I couldn't watch local games
The following users liked this post:
Brian 162 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Ask a friend for their login info for TSN online? Send them 20$ a month?
Old 07-11-2020, 05:55 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an avid soccer fan. I have 2 Apple TV’s in the home which I air drop DAZN on to the bedroom and living room TVs.

I also have purchased an amazon fire stick which I had IPTV along with some other streaming applications loaded. I can watch most Canadian tv live. As well as USA UK etc. All live.

The 4K amazon stick was about $90 at bestbuy with tax and paid $40 to have it loaded with iptv and apps thereafter.

if the firestick was available when I purchased the Apple TV’s years ago I would’ve bought these. Buy a firestick you will not regret the purchase
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
As an avid soccer fan. I have 2 Apple TV’s in the home which I air drop DAZN on to the bedroom and living room TVs.

I also have purchased an amazon fire stick which I had IPTV along with some other streaming applications loaded. I can watch most Canadian tv live. As well as USA UK etc. All live.

The 4K amazon stick was about $90 at bestbuy with tax and paid $40 to have it loaded with iptv and apps thereafter.

if the firestick was available when I purchased the Apple TV’s years ago I would’ve bought these. Buy a firestick you will not regret the purchase
+1 for Amazon Fire TV Sticks, but I buy the $55CAD ones at Best Buy or The Source. I have ones for the US and Canada, you get Canadian Apps like CTV and CBC Jem when you use a Amazon.CA account and US Apps when using an Amazon.COM account. Side load KODI for Movies and add a VPN. You can get all the channels free (TSN, Sky Sports, ESPN, etc) using Mobdro but its very inconsistent but what do you expect for free.

Roku and Android best for IMSA App.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark Lue; 07-11-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
it's not grey area, it is legal and well documented I believe. so you bring it up but say don't want to go there.
And protecting Rogers and Bell is ridiculous as they have zero ethics, they have broken privacy laws, overcharged at every opportunity and in my books 2 of the worst run businesses (in terms of dealing with them from consumer point of view).
good luck subscribing to NHL or TSN as they will not broadcast to you local games, I signed up for NHL package 2 years ago only to cancel because I couldn't watch local games
Viewing stolen content is never legal and you just proved my point in the defense of it.

so essentially .. " im going to stick it to them , because they stick it to me .. "

my point exactly.
examples to live by

knock yourself out.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

For those of you who use a fire stick which allows you to download thew app so you can subscribe, perfectly legit, and something i am looking at .

for those of you who pay 15 bucks a month , cash only or bank transfer with no receipt, who get all of the channels you want ... well, go on justifying all day how its fair to stick it to the man ! parents of the year right there.

But all that aside, this is not a discussion of whether people are stealing or not, if you are you are and go ahead and justify it , if your not good for you, it is really just about if Rogers and Bell get their way the landscape may change limiting options.

Last edited by theiceman; 07-13-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

... well, go on justifying all day how its fair to stick it to the man ! parents of the year right there.
And this coming from a guy with 25k posts on a site that he is not a member.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike K.
And this coming from a guy with 25k posts on a site that he is not a member.
i help fix more guys cars in a week , than you likely do in a year, yes believe it or not the majority of posts are technical guides to help... and you might have to eat a lot of crow when you understand I am following every rule and doing nothing wrong. nothing grey shady or underhanded, some people just don't like getting called out and act defensively, ahem.

If i had to pay i wouldn't be here, i wouldn't secretly find a shady way to log on and tell the world they owe me
Old 07-13-2020, 02:08 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Looks like I missed some fun here over the weekend.
My intent was never to get programming for free, I just don't want to pay $125/month when all I really watch is the Leafs.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Looks like I missed some fun here over the weekend.
My intent was never to get programming for free, I just don't want to pay $125/month when all I really watch is the Leafs.
im in the same boat Rod... i like the tsn app idea. so might go with tek savy for a few basic channels ( CBC ) and pick up TSN app. just not sure how many games TSN will carry vs Rogers.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:15 PM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

There are lots of legit options to watch sports if you're willing to pay and are worried about your morals going out the window (and lets not get into the "morals" of companies like bell/rogers etc). Add up the cost of tsn, dazn, etc etc. and you're almost at the price of getting cable again without the benefits of more channels. I took a look at teksavy tv. $20 a month for a bunch of garbage channels that I'd never watch... want sports? add $20. want more? add another $20. Sound familiar?

For those of you that could care less, IP TV is a great alternative. This service is not without its downfalls too... but UFC 251 this weekend was fantastic on my couch.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by triggz82
There are lots of legit options to watch sports if you're willing to pay and are worried about your morals going out the window (and lets not get into the "morals" of companies like bell/rogers etc). Add up the cost of tsn, dazn, etc etc. and you're almost at the price of getting cable again without the benefits of more channels. I took a look at teksavy tv. $20 a month for a bunch of garbage channels that I'd never watch... want sports? add $20. want more? add another $20. Sound familiar?

For those of you that could care less, IP TV is a great alternative. This service is not without its downfalls too... but UFC 251 this weekend was fantastic on my couch.
agreed, i looked at tek savy and you are correct , the basic package you have to take is nothing i would never watch ...
Old 07-17-2020, 03:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

turns out after all said and done im probably best sticking with Bell.

Quick Reply: Watching sports not on cable