Notices

Looking for a good mechanic for my 996 in the east end... Recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Incognico
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good mechanic for my 996 in the east end... Recommendations...

I live near mosport and I'm looking for a good mechanic in the east end...

My 996 has been at a shop now for three weeks and they haven't even looked at it! I am losing faith in them as they keep blowing me of saying that they will "try to get to it tomorrow"

I had an appointment booked and still nothing for three weeks...

Rather disappointed as they were highly recommended...

I just want some honest communication from the shop to know where they are with the car.. If you can't get to it for weeks, let me know! Don't tell me you'll try to put it on the lift to work on it "tomorrow or sometime this week" ...

I can't run my business that way... I don't know how they can..

I used to work on my 924 myself and since I don't have a garage anymore, I'm relying on shops to do the work on my 996... Until I get a new garage...
Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 PM
Only1
Track Day

A friend of mine owns a couple of porsche's and works on all europeans. He is located in Brooklin.
Call Tom, 416-717-1815.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Try Liam at Keltech. He is in Markham.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Incognico
.......I had an appointment booked and still nothing for three weeks...Rather disappointed as they were highly recommended...

I just want some honest communication from the shop to know where they are with the car.. If you can't get to it for weeks, let me know! Don't tell me you'll try to put it on the lift to work on it "tomorrow or sometime this week"...
Can you share which shop this is ? I am sure most would appreciate knowing about them and avoid what you have been going through. Good luck
Old 06-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

What do you need to get done on the 996?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Incognico
AutoX

Originally Posted by Imo000
What do you need to get done on the 996?
My cam plug (upper green) keeps popping out on the passenger side on the top front of the motor. At idol, it's ok.. As soon as I rev it up, it pops out.

Just had a complete refresh done in Florida what I bought the car. Done by an Audi mechanic who works on Porsche and specializes in 996 models...

I think it's the valve cover that has too much liquid gasket and it's blocking the aos hole..

It should be a relatively quick fix.

Complete refresh done, hoses, tensioner pads, plugs, alternator, water pump, check ims (l&n replacement), check clutch, new temp sensor...
Oil pump is in the right position and it's not the scavenge pumps...
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Incognico
AutoX

Originally Posted by lowbee
Can you share which shop this is ? I am sure most would appreciate knowing about them and avoid what you have been going through. Good luck
I don't want to give them a bad name, they seem like a really busy shop and the head mechanic is well respected and had a lot of support. I don't want to burn that bridge just in case... But there have been a few threads on here about their service going down hill since someone in their organization left.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Incognico
My cam plug (upper green) keeps popping out on the passenger side on the top front of the motor. At idol, it's ok.. As soon as I rev it up, it pops out.

Just had a complete refresh done in Florida what I bought the car. Done by an Audi mechanic who works on Porsche and specializes in 996 models...

I think it's the valve cover that has too much liquid gasket and it's blocking the aos hole..

It should be a relatively quick fix.

Complete refresh done, hoses, tensioner pads, plugs, alternator, water pump, check ims (l&n replacement), check clutch, new temp sensor...
Oil pump is in the right position and it's not the scavenge pumps...
I know someone that had this happen after he refreshed his engine and sent him a text to explain how he fixed this issue. I know it was excessive sealant around the cam plug but will get you exact details shortly.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Incognico
AutoX

I know someone that had this happen after he refreshed his engine and sent him a text to explain how he fixed this issue. I know it was excessive sealant around the cam plug but will get you exact details shortly.
That would be amazing! Thank you!
Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

His cam plug popped out because the oil passage between the cam plug sealing surface and the cam bearing journal got clogged from too much sealant. This passage drains oil from the cam bearing journal back into the engine block. By having this passage clogged, the pressurized oil coming from the cam journal has nowhere to go and it pushes out the cam plug. He fixed it by removing the valve cover and pushing a wire though that oil passage. Then re installed the valve cover with less sealant around the cam plugs. This fixed the problem and has over 5K kms on it since.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Incognico
AutoX

His cam plug popped out because the oil passage between the cam plug sealing surface and the cam bearing journal got clogged from too much sealant. This passage drains oil from the cam bearing journal back into the engine block. By having this passage clogged, the pressurized oil coming from the cam journal has nowhere to go and it pushes out the cam plug. He fixed it by removing the valve cover and pushing a wire though that oil passage. Then re installed the valve cover with less sealant around the cam plugs. This fixed the problem and has over 5K kms on it since.
That's what I figured! If I had a garage, I'd do it myself.. But I opted to compromise and my new(ish) house doesn't have one.. Been regretting that move ever since.

Thank you for reaching out!

I'm looking for a local (east end) mechanic to do the work in a timely fashion.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Incognico
AutoX

That's what I figured.. Thank you for reaching out!

Now to find a good local guy that can help me out in a reasonable timeframe..
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Yep too much sealant. It's also a royal pain in *** to rectify with the engine in car.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Gregster
Yep too much sealant. It's also a royal pain in *** to rectify with the engine in car.

My buddy did it and says it can be cone without removing the valve cover. His was the exhaust cam plug on the same side as the OP. The OP's is the intake plug and that will be harder to get to but should be doable.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

try twins auto. danforth and kennedy.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good mechanic for my 996 in the east end... Recommendations...