Notices

Battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by gartzspeed
Maybe there IS something wrong with me, because my birthday present to myself this year is going to be an Antigravity battery.

No affiliation, just think its far easier losing 30 lbs this way then signing up for a gym I will never go to.
do you really think you will notice 30lbs difference? are you doing this on a race car or street car? better places to spend your money IMO.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
do you really think you will notice 30lbs difference? are you doing this on a race car or street car? better places to spend your money IMO.
Your opinion makes total sense.... but.... I believe I can bring up some fact that prove otherwise for many who don't know about Lithium... (I mean the new quality Lithium Auto Batteries).

1- A Lithium Battery has about twice the lifespan and usually MORE than a lead/acid battery. Especially the more advance one like our Antigravity Models. For example our Cells are rated at twice the Cycles of a Lead acid battery, they also have complete protections against over-discharge, over-charge, they have short circuit protection. So the battery cannot go outside certain parameters which keeps the battery from being over-discharged which is the #1 reason why a Lead/Acid or Lithium Battery will fail or be damaged. So a quality Lithium Battery with the proper protections CANNOT be accidentally damaged by leaving the lights on , or leaving it in storage for 4 month. Our battery will put itself to sleep so it can't be damage by an over-discharge.... YET when you come back to it... just press the Wireless Keyfob and wake it up and Start the car again! That itself is massive value.

2- Our Antigravity Battery, the only one on the Market, has built-in Wireless Jump Starting. That means if you ever DO by chance discharge the battery by leaving a key in the ignition, or leaving lights or radio on or store it for 4 months. it goes to sleep... then as I mentioned you press the wireless key fob and wake the battery and start your car again. So you do that once or twice and you just saved yourself a ton of time/effort or cost from road side assistance. So high value there. But also note... say you left your car in storage or came back to a dead battery in your Porsche, well now your Frunk won't open so you have to get a jump starter or some other battery and go to the Fuse Panel to energize the system to open the Frunk and that is a hassle.... but with our Battery you just press the Wireless Key fob and the battery turns on therefore energizing the entire car so you can enter the Frunk without any hassle.

3- A lithium battery saves roughly 35 lbs of weight, and yes many of you won't feel you need this unless you are tracking your car... but that weight is exponential at speed.... For example say a 10 pound brick is thrown at you going 10 MPH... you might think it take 10 pounds of force to stop that 10 lbs, but it doesn't, the force required to stop that 10 lbs of weight going 10 MPH is say about 20 lbs ( this is not accurate I'm just using example because its and equation based on a number of factors). So now take that 10 pounds at 20MPH... do you think the force double and now become 40lbs of force required to stop it.... Nope it now takes about 80 lbs to stop it ... My point is, as speed increase the force required to stop it massively increases exponentially... and 35 pound going 60MPH is thousand of pounds to stop it. So weight is a massively important aspect in performance though you may not "seat of the pants" feel it. IT absolutely making big differences in braking and cornering. Again not something everybody needs or desires, but wanted to spell that out.

4- Weight loss cost alot of money, people put on Carbon Fiber pieces that save 5 ounces for MORE than the cost of our Batteries... sure they look cool but a couple ounces of weight compared to 35 lbs immediately cut is a crazy value for the weight conscious. Full exhaust system save about 13- 17 pounds...and are much more expensive than a battery. Yes they add some Horsepower, but at twice the wieght savings the price of Lithium is flat out and unarguably the best and most cost effective weight loss of any performance part hands down.

5- Lithium Batteries provide a much better start in cars that are a little troublesome... it operate at a mildly higher voltage than lead/acid, and produces about twice the cranking amps for similar size comparable Lead/Acid. So it actually easy for a small lithium to start any 911.. but when you get into something like a 40Ah lithium it will flip the motor faster than lead/acid.

So Lithium is NOT for everyone, I fully understand. I don't recommend it if you are in freezing, icy weather.. but it's more of a Performance Car product so not many are driving and leaving their car in the open snow. I don't recommend it if you don't really care about the performance aspect of lightweight as it might seem costly. But when you consider the OVERALL cost benefit over say 7-8 year which is its lifespan, it is definitely a better VALUE than a lead acid battery. Longer Iife, built-in Jump Starting, massive weight reduction. Built in safety features to prevent damage to the battery itself and making for an extra long life.

So for the price of entry it might seem high.. but it a new technology costs are coming down and this is where it is all going. Not for everyone but the value is there on the quality versions of these products.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 367 Posts

to point 3, these Porsches have incredible brakes (as you know) and the extra 30 lbs IMO would not be noticeable on a street car under braking while driving on a public road. Do a blind pepsi challenge: have a friend throw 30lbs in the frunk and go on a couple of drives (not knowing which time you have the 30 lbs). I doubt it is noticeable unless on track.
btw it looks like a nice product but even on a track unless advanced driver the money would be better spent on a driving coach.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Didn't realize I'm a baller here with my Optima redtop...
Old 05-10-2019, 05:53 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
im cheap so i get them from the wreckers.
Did you spend all of your money on CAA?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed a Canadian Tire AGM in the fall, car sat all winter without a maintainer, started right up in the spring.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Battery maintainer I have found over the years is much more important to overall battery health and longevity than brand or type of battery. Just use the tender if the car sits for more than a week and batteries will go the distance ...
Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 AM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

East Penn sells Powrsurge and Deka batteries direct from their location in Ajax on Harwood. They're a very good battery, I've had one in my 993 for years.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:09 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 337 Posts

Magnapower from Partsource is another good brand, have had very good luck with them (resell a lot of them)… from what I see, maybe 1 in 50 comes back over a 5 year span.. get a 'Gold' version
H6 or H7 is what you'll probably want but can also do H8 for cars which see extended sit time.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Think about for a minute. What is wrong with using a fairly new battery? The one in your car isn't new either. They load test them and you can pick the one you like. I got for the one with the newest manufacture date with a brand name. They only sell the good ones, most of them aren't as they get drained when the car sits in the salvage auction lot and they don't sell those. But there are many others that come out of cars that are donated or sold to the wrecker directly. I've got excellent deals on brand name batteries for pennies on the dollar. They are so cheap that I usually have an extra one just to keep it as a spare for whenever needs a battery (boat, riding lawnmower, etc.). And by luck, this is also excellent for the environment. This would be no different than if I went to your house and gave you $25 for the battery out of your DD.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,050 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
no my son has it so i just call him and he comes to where i am and says he broke down
Old 05-13-2019, 04:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,050 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Think about for a minute. What is wrong with using a fairly new battery? The one in your car isn't new either. They load test them and you can pick the one you like. I got for the one with the newest manufacture date with a brand name. They only sell the good ones, most of them aren't as they get drained when the car sits in the salvage auction lot and they don't sell those. But there are many others that come out of cars that are donated or sold to the wrecker directly. I've got excellent deals on brand name batteries for pennies on the dollar. They are so cheap that I usually have an extra one just to keep it as a spare for whenever needs a battery (boat, riding lawnmower, etc.). And by luck, this is also excellent for the environment. This would be no different than if I went to your house and gave you $25 for the battery out of your DD.

i keep one just for the stupid 12v experiments i like to do ... and then my buddies come get it to jump there cars.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Canadian Tire AGM on my 997.1 as well.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
I just go to Canadian Tire and use whatever they have. Never had a problem.
Me too. Battery on CTEK lasts +7 years, the abused one lasts 7.

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations?