Notices

After market warranty info..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After market warranty info..

Need some info if anyone can help. My 15 GTS factory warranty is about to expire in June. I purchased the car from a non Porsche dealer. So no luck getting a Porsche warranty through my local P dealer. Anyone have any luck with after market warranty company's. Im located in BC.

Cheers.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:43 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Hmm. You should be able to get a factory warranty if you already have a warranty left on your car.
Under kilometers and under time? I would reask.
If your dealer is giving you a run around, call another dealer.
Call any dealer, they should be able to look up your car by vin.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Damon88
Instructor

Thanks Big smoke. Def not a bad idea to try some other dealerships. My local P dealer told me as I didn't purchase the car from Porsche they can't sell me a Porsche warranty. Car is still under The OEM warranty till June.

Cheers
Old 04-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

try lubrico
Old 04-27-2019, 10:21 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Thanks Danny, I will send them a email.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep in mind that most of the aftermarket warranties look for any reason to get out of it. I fought with Ensurall on my B7 S4 and finally just traded it in as I didn't have the time to fight with them anymore.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You are better off taking the money that you would pay for this aftermarket warranty and put it in a savings account. If you’ll ever need it, just draw from it. Chances are pretty good that you’ll have money left over at the end of that warranty.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

In my experience, aftermarket warranties are good if you either a) pay through the nose for the full bumper-to-bumper coverage (good for peace of mind) or just get a powertrain warranty to cover very expensive things (basically engine and transmission). Thing is, change the oil regularly and don't beat on the car, and the engine and tranny will last forever. If you don't keep receipts for oil changes they'll void your warranty.

So basically, skip the warranty, through that money in the bank instead.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

some aftermarket warranties on expensive cars have paid off for some of my friends. problem is in order to get a good one you usually must buy from one of their approved dealers. Lubrico is a good one that often pays out.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:39 AM
Damon88
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses guys. After doing much research, I think I will save the cash and see what happens.. My GTS is a 2015 with 32,000km. It's about to get its 4 year service. Spoke with the service manager and they will do a once over on the car when its in. I usually change the oil between services, as it just makes me feel better having fresh oil... haha, easy to do in my garage. Car is not may daily driver. Sick of paying for the what if insurance.

Thanks again
Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
In my experience, aftermarket warranties are good if you either a) pay through the nose for the full bumper-to-bumper coverage (good for peace of mind) or just get a powertrain warranty to cover very expensive things (basically engine and transmission). Thing is, change the oil regularly and don't beat on the car, and the engine and tranny will last forever. If you don't keep receipts for oil changes they'll void your warranty.

So basically, skip the warranty, through that money in the bank instead.
They all pretty much work X pay out in one lump repair or spread out over several to again a certain maximum amount for the duration of the contract. Recently had to deal with a 997 3.8 that needed an engine and they were only paying up to 8000$... Lots of issues caused by third party warranties is caused by people not reading their contracts properly. Most do pay out for major or critical components just don't expect them to cover everything or cover 5k in repairs on a car with 5k.

We deal with lots of the bigger ones, as in repair work. They are all about the same in terms of service and payout.

2015 GTS you should have no issues buying the Porsche warranty at a dealer.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:09 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You are better off taking the money that you would pay for this aftermarket warranty and put it in a savings account. If you’ll ever need it, just draw from it. Chances are pretty good that you’ll have money left over at the end of that warranty.
Agreed. Obviously the warranty companies are out to make a profit, which means on average they're expecting to pay out less than they collect in premiums. It's a form of insurance—and just like other insurance, it makes sense to pay that premium to avoid catastrophic losses that would significantly affect your financial well being, but not for events that you can afford to pay out of pocket for. Of course there's always the chance that you'll end up ahead with the warranty, but the odds are against it. (And whenever something goes wrong, you also now have the added hassle of dealing with them, rather than just going to your favourite shop and getting it fixed.)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Damon88
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Agreed. Obviously the warranty companies are out to make a profit, which means on average they're expecting to pay out less than they collect in premiums. It's a form of insurance—and just like other insurance, it makes sense to pay that premium to avoid catastrophic losses that would significantly affect your financial well being, but not for events that you can afford to pay out of pocket for. Of course there's always the chance that you'll end up ahead with the warranty, but the odds are against it. (And whenever something goes wrong, you also now have the added hassle of dealing with them, rather than just going to your favourite shop and getting it fixed.)
Totally agree Nate. Thanks for your reply. Also see your in Victoria.. I live in Saanich ..haha small world.

Cheers,
Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon88
Totally agree Nate. Thanks for your reply. Also see your in Victoria.. I live in Saanich ..haha small world.

Cheers,
Nice! You should bring that thing up to VIMC for one of the Speed Fanatics or Slow Driving Group track days!
Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

We bought SecureDrive from the JLR dealer when we bought our RR at the end of the lease as Land Rover didn't have an extended warranty option at the time.

They've been really good. They actually provide Audis warrnaties for example. You have to buy it through some kind of dealer though as they don't send direct.

Quick Reply: After market warranty info..