Notices

Driving in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:09 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Driving in Mexico

To begin I don’t know if this applies everywhere here but the following rules also applied in Costa Rico. Gringos often end up in collisions because they apply their set of rules in a whole other game.

RULE: We can avoid being rear ended at stop signs and red lights by observing traffic. If there’s no car coming Mexicans don’t stop for stop signs or red light, because there’s no point to stopping.

RULE: This really messes everybody up. When making a left turn, indicate that and pull far to the right to allow traffic behind you to pass and once the way is clear then turn left . We of course bear left expecting cars behind us to pass to our right. Mexicans of course don’t know that and will continue trying to pass on the left even while we are turning left.

Consider this a public safety message.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do happen to get into a fender bender, do not move the vehicle until the authorities have finished their investigation and have instructed you to do so.
In Costa Rica, anyway....
Old 02-04-2019, 11:07 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lived in Mexico for a year, and not a tourist area, and never experienced the later. Where did you have that happen?

It is a whole new game there though. Free-for-all.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:37 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
Lived in Mexico for a year, and not a tourist area, and never experienced the later. Where did you have that happen?

It is a whole new game there though. Free-for-all.

Im just north of Manzanillo and been here since November. I will disagree on the free for all though, drivers are considerate and patient,we rarely hear a horn unless it’s greeting someone.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

25 years ago while in my honeymoon, we rented an air cooled bug. Drove an hour into Cancun along the Mayan coast. I thought the locals were quite considerate, Would I do this today? Probably not.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8

Im just north of Manzanillo and been here since November. I will disagree on the free for all though, drivers are considerate and patient,we rarely hear a horn unless it’s greeting someone.
Nice area, visited once. I was in Queretaro. Found lanes were generally ignores. Returnos into incoming traffic. Local buses bullying their way everywhere. Pedestrians wandering the streets and running across highways. Must be the mountain air!

Saddest part was when you saw an accident and they had a little blanket over a poor child ejected from the car. Couldn't deal with that stuff.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
Nice area, visited once. I was in Queretaro. Found lanes were generally ignores. Returnos into incoming traffic. Local buses bullying their way everywhere. Pedestrians wandering the streets and running across highways. Must be the mountain air!

Saddest part was when you saw an accident and they had a little blanket over a poor child ejected from the car. Couldn't deal with that stuff.
Again, only observed the west coastal roads. There are many villages that straddle the highway and invariably that’s where Topes’ are placed. Those a very significant speed bumps that if you don’t slow to 20kph the suspension of the vehicle will be destroyed. Topes’ are traffic calmers giving pedestrians, dogs, horses,burros,goats,cattle,mules a fighting chance of a safe crossing. Many bicycle riders will ride facing traffic as it gives them a chance to escape. Most of what we call inviolate rules are considered advisory here. Generally it works quite well. I have learned the most useful vehicle here is a motor bike, usually 125cc, and those can transport a mother with four kids, or two workmen and an extension ladder. Police enforcement of rules is from what I observe nonexistent.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

I'd get one of these before I'd do it...…

Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

In University one of my buddies had a place in Acapulco we used to visit regularly. You would see people drinking beer while driving and young children (11 years old?) driving regularly. Lanes were all over the place. At the time we loved it had tonnes of fun. I have heard Acapulco is run by gangs and not safe to visit anymore...too bad as it has great weather!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Very bad to be in a place run by gangs. I think that’s a problem facing many big cities down here. Thankfully this is a small place run by only one gang and they have rules. One of those being a ban on cocaine, whodathunk that. Word is the Don know how bad that stuff is and doesn’t want his grandchildren exposed to it. Apparently sometime in the not too distant past coke was being peddled out of a small bar and it wasn’t just closed down it was obliterated brick by brick in one day and the owners disappeared.

Quick Reply: Driving in Mexico