Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Driving in Mexico (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1127561-driving-in-mexico.html)

JimV8 02-04-2019 01:09 PM

Driving in Mexico

To begin I don’t know if this applies everywhere here but the following rules also applied in Costa Rico. Gringos often end up in collisions because they apply their set of rules in a whole other game.

RULE: We can avoid being rear ended at stop signs and red lights by observing traffic. If there’s no car coming Mexicans don’t stop for stop signs or red light, because there’s no point to stopping.

RULE: This really messes everybody up. When making a left turn, indicate that and pull far to the right to allow traffic behind you to pass and once the way is clear then turn left . We of course bear left expecting cars behind us to pass to our right. Mexicans of course don’t know that and will continue trying to pass on the left even while we are turning left.

Consider this a public safety message.

Walt L 02-04-2019 08:45 PM

If you do happen to get into a fender bender, do not move the vehicle until the authorities have finished their investigation and have instructed you to do so.
In Costa Rica, anyway....

Scotty2H 02-04-2019 11:07 PM

Lived in Mexico for a year, and not a tourist area, and never experienced the later. Where did you have that happen?

It is a whole new game there though. Free-for-all.

JimV8 02-05-2019 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty2H (Post 15616483)
Lived in Mexico for a year, and not a tourist area, and never experienced the later. Where did you have that happen?

It is a whole new game there though. Free-for-all.

Im just north of Manzanillo and been here since November. I will disagree on the free for all though, drivers are considerate and patient,we rarely hear a horn unless it’s greeting someone.

steam_mill 02-05-2019 07:44 PM

25 years ago while in my honeymoon, we rented an air cooled bug. Drove an hour into Cancun along the Mayan coast. I thought the locals were quite considerate, Would I do this today? Probably not.

Scotty2H 02-05-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by JimV8 (Post 15616661)

Im just north of Manzanillo and been here since November. I will disagree on the free for all though, drivers are considerate and patient,we rarely hear a horn unless it’s greeting someone.

Nice area, visited once. I was in Queretaro. Found lanes were generally ignores. Returnos into incoming traffic. Local buses bullying their way everywhere. Pedestrians wandering the streets and running across highways. Must be the mountain air!

Saddest part was when you saw an accident and they had a little blanket over a poor child ejected from the car. Couldn't deal with that stuff.

JimV8 02-06-2019 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty2H (Post 15618537)
Nice area, visited once. I was in Queretaro. Found lanes were generally ignores. Returnos into incoming traffic. Local buses bullying their way everywhere. Pedestrians wandering the streets and running across highways. Must be the mountain air!

Saddest part was when you saw an accident and they had a little blanket over a poor child ejected from the car. Couldn't deal with that stuff.

Again, only observed the west coastal roads. There are many villages that straddle the highway and invariably that’s where Topes’ are placed. Those a very significant speed bumps that if you don’t slow to 20kph the suspension of the vehicle will be destroyed. Topes’ are traffic calmers giving pedestrians, dogs, horses,burros,goats,cattle,mules a fighting chance of a safe crossing. Many bicycle riders will ride facing traffic as it gives them a chance to escape. Most of what we call inviolate rules are considered advisory here. Generally it works quite well. I have learned the most useful vehicle here is a motor bike, usually 125cc, and those can transport a mother with four kids, or two workmen and an extension ladder. Police enforcement of rules is from what I observe nonexistent.

ronnie993tt 02-09-2019 11:06 AM

I'd get one of these before I'd do it...…

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.g...0&pid=3.1&rm=2

Turbodan 02-12-2019 04:02 PM

In University one of my buddies had a place in Acapulco we used to visit regularly. You would see people drinking beer while driving and young children (11 years old?) driving regularly. Lanes were all over the place. At the time we loved it had tonnes of fun. I have heard Acapulco is run by gangs and not safe to visit anymore...too bad as it has great weather!

JimV8 02-13-2019 08:59 AM

Very bad to be in a place run by gangs. I think that’s a problem facing many big cities down here. Thankfully this is a small place run by only one gang and they have rules. One of those being a ban on cocaine, whodathunk that. Word is the Don know how bad that stuff is and doesn’t want his grandchildren exposed to it. Apparently sometime in the not too distant past coke was being peddled out of a small bar and it wasn’t just closed down it was obliterated brick by brick in one day and the owners disappeared.