Notices

Toronto traffic tax collectors are at it again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM
fenixv8
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Good info,
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

These are just red light cameras. Picture taken when you enter an intersection after the light turns red. Great, who wants people running reds?

They are in most major municipalities to some degree. Toronto has well over 100 cameras.

There's no 3 second rule. No points. That person probably entered the intersection to turn right at speed after it turned red without making a complete stop. Ummm...yellow light? Speeding up to make the light? Rolling stop? Just didn't care?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
These are just red light cameras. Picture taken when you enter an intersection after the light turns red. Great, who wants people running reds?

They are in most major municipalities to some degree. Toronto has well over 100 cameras.

There's no 3 second rule. No points. That person probably entered the intersection to turn right at speed after it turned red without making a complete stop. Ummm...yellow light? Speeding up to make the light? Rolling stop? Just didn't care?
yeah I deserved mine, and I manned up, was late at night and was gonna go through a late yellow , and it went red so I whipped right around the corner.. got my ticket and paid my fine, moved on. first pic was me in the intersection , second pic was no car in site .. lol

I was found guilty anyway …
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, as much as I agree that most tickets are little more than revenue generation, this doesn't quite smack of a police state to me, especially when vehicle vs pedestrian accidents are so high in Toronto. Sure, pedestrians might be somewhat (even largely) at fault if they're staring down at a screen, but like I always say to my kids - the pedestrian might have the right of way, but the car has the right of weight.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
............the pedestrian might have the right of way, but the car has the right of weight.

I like this quote, going to use it at work!
Old 01-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Time to run the car cam all the time. 'Look at my video judge. See, this charge should be thrown out - my video is time stamped and clearly shows I stopped on the red *completely* before turning....'

By the way: Someone show us WHERE in the HTA it states you must stop for three seconds before proceeding through a stop sign or turning right on a red? The city can't make up its own rules that conflict with the HTA.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

It doesn't.

136 (1) Every driver or street car operator approaching a stop sign at an intersection,

(a) shall stop his or her vehicle or street car at a marked stop line or, if none, then immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk or, if none, then immediately before entering the intersection; and

So come to a complete stop, and if you have the right of way, proceed. Nothing about time. However actually making a literal complete stop, where the vehicle ceases all forward movement, may feel like 3 seconds, because we're so used to rolling stops.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

The 3 second complete stop comes from the driving schools. They tell this to all their students and now people think it's the law. Driving schools teach defensive driving but at the same time spread misinformation too. For example, it is not illegal to pass on a solid centre line. Pavement markings are not enforceable. They are guidelines for drivers to consider when driving. Now if you decided to pass on a solid centre line and get into a collision, then you will be dinged for unsafe lane change, careless driving as so on but the HTA has nothing on the solid line. Makes sense if you think about it. When the road is covered with snow, the lines are not visible so how can it be enforced?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The 3 second complete stop comes from the driving schools. They tell this to all their students and now people think it's the law. Driving schools teach defensive driving but at the same time spread misinformation too. For example, it is not illegal to pass on a solid centre line. Pavement markings are not enforceable. They are guidelines for drivers to consider when driving. Now if you decided to pass on a solid centre line and get into a collision, then you will be dinged for unsafe lane change, careless driving as so on but the HTA has nothing on the solid line. Makes sense if you think about it. When the road is covered with snow, the lines are not visible so how can it be enforced?
Oh man, reminds me of a time many years ago I was following someone down a long, straight, wide open road with a single solid line. They were doing 15 under the speed limit, so I signaled, pulled out, and passed them. And since I was passing over a solid line, I was super careful about it and literally didn't exceed the speed limit. As I completed the pass, they started laying on the horn, and then sped up to my speed so they could continue honking at me for the next 15 seconds or so.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Wow lol People getting really their panties in a bunch when getting passed. You can legally pass on a single solid line when safe to do so. (In BC).

Also I see people blowing through red lights to make right turns on a regular basis in Victoria. It is rare to see anyone fully stop unless there are cars coming.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
^ Wow lol People getting really their panties in a bunch when getting passed. You can legally pass on a single solid line when safe to do so. (In BC).

Also I see people blowing through red lights to make right turns on a regular basis in Victoria. It is rare to see anyone fully stop unless there are cars coming.
Yep, in BC it's explicitly legal to pass (carefully) over a single solid line. (But not over a double solid.) https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/rules-ro...-broken-yellow
Old 01-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Yep, in BC it's explicitly legal to pass (carefully) over a single solid line. (But not over a double solid.) https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/rules-ro...-broken-yellow

What happens when the road is covered in snow and you can't see the lines? I’m willing to bet that there are no passing signs at the beginning and end of the double solid lines and that’s what is actually enforced……not the lines.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

What happens when the road is covered in snow and you can't see the lines? I’m willing to bet that there are no passing signs at the beginning and end of the double solid lines and that’s what is actually enforced……not the lines.
Here's a link directly to the section of the BC MVA quoted in the link above: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/..._05#section155
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Here's a link directly to the section of the BC MVA quoted in the link above: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/..._05#section155

Interesting.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:51 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Years ago I escaped a fine in Hamilton for going straight through on a right turn only lane because it was only painted on the road and not displayed on a sign. The crown withdrew the complaint when I showed up in court. Shortly after the city erected a traffic island beyond the intersection in the right lane and a sign post went up displaying Right turn only.

Quick Reply: Toronto traffic tax collectors are at it again.