Notices

Collision - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

@Logan you 100% have to go to a collision reporting centre even though she has called insurance and all other parties involved and everything has been done by the books. It is a crime if you do not report it in person with your car present. My wife got hit in 2017 and the other guy went and reported his car and we called police and insurance etc etc my stupid insurance company didn’t tell me that I needed to report it within 24 hours and many months later (after my insurance fixed it with all appropriate documentation etc) we got a letter from Toronto police stating my wife was charged with a felony for not reporting and it was a huge pain in the *** and cost me hundreds of dollars and 2 trips to court to resolve it. I had to speak with the crown prosecutor himself to avoid demerit points and other fees. I’ll post below the official Ontario reporting rules.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/traf...acollision.php

Read the bottom about reporting the collision. My letter stated I needed to report it within 24-48 hours. It’s okay if you report now days after the collision they’ll accept it.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:12 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't think this will affect the value of your car at all as long as the paint match is good. Just as a point of interest, we have no fault insurance in Ontario so I think your insurance will pay for the damage but her rates will be affected. Danny can chime in if this is incorrect 'cause he be the expert here.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:04 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

Was this accident on private property?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan964C2
That is definitely a concern. I'm not too familiar with how they would redo my front bumper but don't want one of those jobs where it is peeling off a few years from now. Sending PM with my number now. Thanks.
I didn't get a pm but you can email me directly to turbodan17@outlook.com
and I'll call you.
Ronnie is correct that the other party's insurance will be affected but yours would pay the bill. Also the value should not be affected, just document the accident with photos etc and make sure body shop uses lots of flex in paint. Have them remove the bumper for paint.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:14 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

No over spray, if painted off the vehicle.
x2 for turbodan
Old 11-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I specifically asked them about this - what if I'm out for a nice Sunday drive and I need to pick up some groceries for dinner on the way home? They said no problem at all for that. So nothing to worry about being in a grocery store parking lot. I think it'd be more of a concern if it were in the parking lot at work.
That's good to know. But I suppose if you had a bigger issue or total loss in a shopping plaza they may change their tune. Personally I do it, but just park as far away from the other Humans as possible.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:25 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

A repainted bumper is hardly going to diminish the value of your car. And by hardly, I mean not at all.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
That's good to know. But I suppose if you had a bigger issue or total loss in a shopping plaza they may change their tune. Personally I do it, but just park as far away from the other Humans as possible.
The other day, I was with my wife and dog. We stopped at No Frills so my wife could run in. I stayed in the jeep with the dog. I parked in the last aisle spot slightly over the line. Parking spots all over the place! Guy parks right next to me, opens his door and touches (no damage) the mirror.

I WAS SITTING THE CAR!

IH8PPL
Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 AM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't want to hijack this thread; couldn't resist steam_mill response.This past summer on a very hot day on a Tuesday morning(slow day at mall) my wife parks the Sequoia at the furthest parking lot at Upper Canada Mall(I trained her well)-no other cars in that lot . She comes back 15 min later and sees a person walking from her small car- she is parked so close to truck that it would be impossible for wife to enter driver's door. She says to the woman there are hundreds of spots in that lot available-there are only their 2 vehicles parked in it -why would she park so close? Idiot's response-it's such a hot day today-I wanted to park in your shade! And she walked off. Wife had to enter passenger side and do gymnastics to crawl over console- just after she had had knee surgery, and couldn't bend that knee easily.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I was up at Brumar recently. Appears Junior can do the repair. Anyone else have experience with these people?

Quick Reply: Collision - Advice Needed