Notices

Collision - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collision - Advice Needed

My car was parked and a nice lady drove into/scraped the front bumper corner (see pics). I was not there and by the time I got out from the store, she was on the phone reporting the accident to her insurance company. Strangely, the damage to her car was much more significant (passenger door dented in and scraped where she hit).
She is a sales rep for a big company and was driving a company car. She insisted that she has to notify her employer and they insisted she call insurance company.
So before I had a chance to really discuss or consider anything, she had given my vehicle information and her vehicle information to her insurance company and was advised to go to a police collision reporting centre within 24 hours.
There is no question of fault as I was present when she fully admitted fault and hitting my parked car.
Sorry for the giant pics - it didn't want to make them smaller.
I will post and continue with my question(s) in the next post.

scraped front bumper and cracked lens

Old 10-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

I have no idea whether or not to go through insurance. I baby my car and it has no previous collisions or insurance claims. Do I now have to make a claim since she has reported all of my information? Can I report a claim but decline stating no damage?
I was also advised to go to a Police Collision Reporting Centre. If I do this, will my car automatically show an Accident History?

Help...
Old 10-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

If it makes a difference, I am in Milton, Ontario and have LANT Insurance. Car is a 964 C2. I don't think I have any sort of diminished value coverage on my policy.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:55 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

If a claim is run through insurance, it may (will) show up on the Carfax. So if resale is the issue, just get it fixed and forget it.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by strathconaman
If a claim is run through insurance, it may (will) show up on the Carfax. So if resale is the issue, just get it fixed and forget it.
Yes but is it too late if the other vehicle has already run the details of my vehicle through their insurance? Or can I simply do nothing, fix it on my own and there will be no record of it?
Old 10-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan964C2
If it makes a difference, I am in Milton, Ontario and have LANT Insurance. Car is a 964 C2. I don't think I have any sort of diminished value coverage on my policy.
Where was it parked? Is it insured under a classic policy? Diminished value is a US thing, no such luck in Canada.

Since you are not at fault I would have it fixed at a high end shop and just go through insurance. It's just a bumper claim, as long as you fully document it I don't see it affecting value. And if you sell it I would expect the buyer to do a detailed PPI.

Plus you have already told the world with this post. So if your going the fix it yourself route delete this post.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

ive been through this . my advice is to go to collision centre report it and call your insurance company. Her insurance will pay out and as stated its just a bumper claim . Keep your receipts for repair or a copy and of course these photos. Take it to 427 collision or Luxury Auto Body ( Richard ) .

I like Richard as he is very personable but 427 is a high end car ( Porsche approved ) collision place. I think there is a high end place in Milton too , but they may only do restorations.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Where was it parked? Is it insured under a classic policy? Diminished value is a US thing, no such luck in Canada.

Since you are not at fault I would have it fixed at a high end shop and just go through insurance. It's just a bumper claim, as long as you fully document it I don't see it affecting value. And if you sell it I would expect the buyer to do a detailed PPI.

Plus you have already told the world with this post. So if your going the fix it yourself route delete this post.
Thanks for the reply.
It was parked at a grocery store where I was meeting a friend to pick up a Halloween Costume. It is insured under a classic policy but I don't drive it daily or to work so I don't think the fact that I drove it today to meet someone should be an issue. I'm definitely not trying to hide anything from a future buyer. I have limited (none) experience with body shops but hear stories that bumper repairs can cost thousands. Then the appearance to a future buyer would be that the damage is more than what it is? Maybe I am over reacting as I don't have any short term plans to sell the car.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Logan964C2
Thanks for the reply.
It was parked at a grocery store where I was meeting a friend to pick up a Halloween Costume. It is insured under a classic policy but I don't drive it daily or to work so I don't think the fact that I drove it today to meet someone should be an issue. I'm definitely not trying to hide anything from a future buyer. I have limited (none) experience with body shops but hear stories that bumper repairs can cost thousands. Then the appearance to a future buyer would be that the damage is more than what it is? Maybe I am over reacting as I don't have any short term plans to sell the car.
Lant may have an issue with it being at a grocery store as most classic policies forbid parking in any shopping centers or plazas, but it's not your fault so hopefully they over look that. Perhaps someone else that has had the same thing happen will chime in, I have never had a claim on my classic policy.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
ive been through this . my advice is to go to collision centre report it and call your insurance company. Her insurance will pay out and as stated its just a bumper claim . Keep your receipts for repair or a copy and of course these photos. Take it to 427 collision or Luxury Auto Body ( Richard ) .

I like Richard as he is very personable but 427 is a high end car ( Porsche approved ) collision place. I think there is a high end place in Milton too , but they may only do restorations.
+911

Alex G just had a front fender done at 427 on his 78 and they matched it perfectly. Total perfection.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I am an appraiser. I can give you some advise but too long to type it here. Pm me your number and I'll give you a call.
your biggest issue is leaving the car in the body shop and getting overspray etc...
Old 10-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I am an appraiser. I can give you some advise but too long to type it here. Pm me your number and I'll give you a call.
your biggest issue is leaving the car in the body shop and getting overspray etc...
That is definitely a concern. I'm not too familiar with how they would redo my front bumper but don't want one of those jobs where it is peeling off a few years from now. Sending PM with my number now. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Save these pictures somewhere safe so when times comes to sell the car, you can show the buyer how minor the issue was. This is not a big deal, just a very minor fender bender that happens all the time. I think this can be fixed without respraying the entire bumper. They can to a proper touch up, wet send and buffing and the car will look like nothing ever happened. You don't want to end up with a brand new looking bumper and the rest of the front end with small stone chips.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:00 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Bumper damage is no big deal. Yea it sucks, but it could be much worst. I wouldn't want any paint blending into the adjacent panels. IMHO this should not affect the resale value of your car, even if there is a mark on your Carproof/ Carfax. You have a 964 C2? People would be lining up around the block to buy that thing! Apparently black is the easiest color to match. Silver and other lighter colors car be a nightmare to match without blending. Have you ever seen a poorly repaired silver front bumper?

Last edited by red996; 10-28-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Lant may have an issue with it being at a grocery store as most classic policies forbid parking in any shopping centers or plazas, but it's not your fault so hopefully they over look that. Perhaps someone else that has had the same thing happen will chime in, I have never had a claim on my classic policy.
I specifically asked them about this - what if I'm out for a nice Sunday drive and I need to pick up some groceries for dinner on the way home? They said no problem at all for that. So nothing to worry about being in a grocery store parking lot. I think it'd be more of a concern if it were in the parking lot at work.

Quick Reply: Collision - Advice Needed