Notices

O/T 50%+ of car loans are 84 months!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have no problem with individual decisions., It the same a variable rate mortgages. The real danger is that the accumulation of all of these decisions results in a highly leveraged economy, so that when the recession comes, (as it surely will) it will affects not only the people who are directly leveraged but everyone.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:29 AM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Primo Trailer Sales, hly crap I bought my Maple Leaf edition off you last year.

Just thought I would let you know I am helping the economy with the trailer
Old 10-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
that is just totally unbelievable ........... that someone actually listens to CBC radio
I do ALL THE TIME!

This extra long financing is very popular in 2nd world countries where people do this just to get a basic set of wheel. Over here, people do it to get vehicles that are way more than what they need or can afford. We need idiots to keep the used vehicle market flooded with cars. I don't mind them doing this since I always buy my cars used when they are nice and cheap.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:57 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

The GTA has gone though a bit of a sea change in the last 10 years. Our neighborhood used to be a Subaru and Honda place, where now it is a Merc and BMW in every driveway (Porsche owners not included). It happened around the time that house prices doubled. I couldn't figure out how everyone in town was suddenly an I-Banker. Now I know it is just that everyone is driving around in 84 month car loans.

The only cars I have ever financed offered 0% terms. I would go 84 month as well if I could get them again.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by gartzspeed
Primo Trailer Sales, hly crap I bought my Maple Leaf edition off you last year.

Just thought I would let you know I am helping the economy with the trailer
Thank you. All of us here appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I helped my FIL buy a car and the question they always asked was "How much do you want to pay a month?" This happened at Ford, Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai and Kia. It's easy to see how people can be enticed into long term car loans though. IIRC Hyundai were offering an 84 month 0% loan + a $3K cash rebate. So you purchase a car interest free AND get three thousand in pin money to do whatever. Sounds like a great deal if you don't care to think cynically about it.

When we bought our Macan this spring the dealer said that financing was 5.9%. We had a good laugh and were told that finance isn't a big part of the Porsche retail model.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:39 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

VW did the same thing to me, tried to sell me on a 2018 R purely on the monthly payment. They kept asking "how much do you want to spend per month", I didn't bite and walked away.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

The monthly payment concept continues to infiltrate the U.S.

Take technology in the Cloud. AWS (Amazon Web Services) and all their competitors (Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc.) have created monthly recurring options - even “how much do you want to pay per day, per week, per second” in some cases.

This is really a great idea and a huge benefit when you need to rent something for a specific time period and the time period or demand/load is uncertain. Agility can equate to big business. Or take a small business that’s rapidly expanding for example. That business suddenly needs resources very quickly, and the cloud can accommodate the need instantly.

Or using the car example, if you very suddenly need to get from point A to point B, take a Lyft or Uber, Taxi, etc.

The rental model, for the most part, just takes a capital or operational expenditure, adds in service, overhead and profits, a finance charge, and then is converted to a monthly number.

But if you don’t need the flexibility, and/or you use the resource many times over and over again, the rental model doesn’t make sense.

So why has everything gone to “monthly cost?” I suspect it’s still the ‘got to have it now’ mentality, we are only operating on the basis of wealth over a single lifetime (ours) but also, the hardest part is the huge difficulty for the human brain to grasp compound interest.

I read an an article about “stocks versus real estate over the last 145 years” or something to that affect. If humans lived 150 years, I suspect people would tend to borrow more in the short term and less in the long term, because the interest or wealth over 5-7 years is nothing compared to interest/wealth over 150.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:40 AM
shopping4991
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please educate me.

Assuming you have $56,500 extra cash in the bank and ready to buy a new car at $50,000 price tag in Ontario.

The dealer offers you 0 down, 84 month financing at 2.9%, which means your monthly will be $744.01 after tax. (which means the total spend is $64,496.65, that includes the $5,996.65 interest)

If you put that cash in a 8% annual return investment(such as stock or mutual fund), and withdraw $755 every month, after 7 years, you will still have about $9523 left in your bank. Plus a 7 year old car that could potentially be sold for $5000. So you end up with $14,000s in your hands.

And worst case scenario, if you don't have $56k in your bank, but you can put aside $150 extra on top of you car loan payment, and invest it in stock market with the same 8% return, you will generate about $4800 interest which help you cover most of the $6k interest paid from the loan.

So in both cases, you can enjoy the car you like and have less impact on your financial situation. NO?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by shopping4991
Please educate me.

Assuming you have $56,500 extra cash in the bank and ready to buy a new car at $50,000 price tag in Ontario.

The dealer offers you 0 down, 84 month financing at 2.9%, which means your monthly will be $744.01 after tax. (which means the total spend is $64,496.65, that includes the $5,996.65 interest)

If you put that cash in a 8% annual return investment(such as stock or mutual fund), and withdraw $755 every month, after 7 years, you will still have about $9523 left in your bank. Plus a 7 year old car that could potentially be sold for $5000. So you end up with $14,000s in your hands.

And worst case scenario, if you don't have $56k in your bank, but you can put aside $150 extra on top of you car loan payment, and invest it in stock market with the same 8% return, you will generate about $4800 interest which help you cover most of the $6k interest paid from the loan.

So in both cases, you can enjoy the car you like and have less impact on your financial situation. NO?
Everything you said makes sense, but there are some practical problems. First, most people don’t have an extra $56k laying around. And if they do, they shouldn’t blow all of it on $50k car. Secondly, and most importantly, a $50k car is worth several tens of thousands less after a few years, assuming it’s a newer car, so anyone who is good with money should consider not losing several tens of thousands of dollars. Third, most car loans have higher interest than 2.6%, especially those who don’t have good credit, which is probably most people doing these 84-mo loans. Fourth, stock markets can generate 5-7% returns, not always 8% on average. So the money saved would be a wash, especially after capital gains taxes.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 10-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shopping4991
Please educate me.

That is how you are supposed to use low interest loans and probably most people here understand that. We followed precisely this rationale when we paid cash for our Macan but took the 60 month 2.6% financing that BMW offered for our M3. But I suspect that most people taking 84 month loans on a $15K Kia do not have any investment portfolio. When they trade their upside down car after five years they get stuck with debt that they can only service if it is interest free or low interest. The problem happens when they run out of credit room and resort to high-interest auto loans (i.e. the "We approve all credit" dealers). Then it hits the fan.

Long term loans also work well for people like my retired FIL, who has a fixed income and tends to plan in terms of monthly expenses. It makes sense for him to keep his assets as liquid and as income-generating as possible.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:22 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far the only brand that I know that offers 84 month loans is the group FCA.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah, debt is a huge problem and financial illiteracy paired with predatory lending/selling practice is the reason it's a problem.

Most people don't default because they made truly sound borrowing decisions and then fell on unforeseen bad luck. That happens sometimes, but it's actually really rare. Much of these problems are in fact VERY foreseeable.

I love LT financing. Did 0% on a Hyundai (7 years), and recently 0% on a GTI (3 years) - AFTER negotiating the best cash price possible. What's not to like. Then again, I am not ashamed to have a Hyundai or VW in my driveway - I'll let my neighbours have the fancy daily drivers...

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlEightySix
So far the only brand that I know that offers 84 month loans is the group FCA.
Aren't almost ALL "non german" Manufactures offering 0% 84 months now a days. I see them posted all over GM, Honda, Mitsu, Kia etc etc
Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

From a different Canadian related thread:

Originally Posted by Brammy
That thread really shows the judgey snobby Canadian side. Who cares how someone acquires their stuff? And it figures the guy who started the thread worked at large corporations getting paid a lot for doing pretty much nothing. So you have a rich guy starting a thread looking down on others who finance .
Typical Canadian arrogance

Quick Reply: O/T 50%+ of car loans are 84 months!