Notices

Heimrath Porsche - Scarborough

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Yep. His parts/service manager said his nickname was "nasty". Not a pleasant fellow. I was told,and this is rumour, that he would modify cars and put it through as warranty work. That is why Porsche ended his dealership. But that may just be urban legend. Way more choices today. With his attitude toward customers no way he would stay in business. Never enjoyed talking to him. He made you feel that he was doing you a favour just letting you in. He and Downtown were the only dealers in Toronto. You had to go to Pfaff in Newmarket or Performance Cars in St.Catherines for other options. Times have certainly changed.
Ahem, my car might have been the one, as it had some rare parts. That's what I was told.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Ludwig still does a bunch of lapping days in his GT2 with 6th Gear / DriveTeq / EA. Definitely a character, but seems like a nice guy - plus he can still drive. I didn't know him back in the days when he ran the dealership, but I have heard the stores. Incidentally, my 928GT was bought by the original owner from his dealership (and I also bought it from Heimrath but at that point it was run by Mario).

One thing that does resonate is that early this year he saw my 928 at Mosport at a track event we both attended (I had driven the 928 to the track, not on it). He apparently recognized the car, asked me if everything works, how long I have owned it, what I have done to it, etc. etc. and then proceeded to critically examine it inside and out, poking and prodding at things. He eventually nodded and said "It's good. You are looking after it much better than the ******* I sold it to did".
Old 09-25-2018, 06:59 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Back when he was racing in the Canadian 944 Turbo Cup series , there were rumors of some teams having a second DME hidden behind the dash, that they would somehow switch
on after tech inspection ... the Spenard team apparently was one of them ... wouldn't be surprised if old Ludwig did the same ... lol

I was a flagger in those days and it was a real blast to marshall their races at Tremblant !
Originally Posted by Turbodan
I heard rumours that the dme was controlled by the mirror switch
It wasn't a second DME and the mirror switch, but close enough... they would connect the power window switch on the driver's side door to a solenoid that would prevent the turbo wastegate from opening, resulting in additional boost. At least that's what my mechanic who at the time was the chief mechanic & crew chief for another championship-winning 944 Turbo Cup team told me they used to do. They eventually got caught and disqualified as in one particular race at Tremblant where they went from 17th to 2nd there were 6' flames shooting out of the exhaust at lift-off that some of the other teams took issue with, but it is true.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Thank you for clarifying the Ludwig story , but other teams had different ways of cheating ... the second DME thing was particularly related to the Spenard cars !
We all know that everything is legal until you get caught !

I race in SP2 and people cheat
Old 09-26-2018, 11:46 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
I actually just come across photos of the dealership.

Great pic, the 928’s are the ones on the hoists lol.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
Ludwig still does a bunch of lapping days in his GT2 with 6th Gear / DriveTeq / EA. Definitely a character, but seems like a nice guy - plus he can still drive. I didn't know him back in the days when he ran the dealership, but I have heard the stores. Incidentally, my 928GT was bought by the original owner from his dealership (and I also bought it from Heimrath but at that point it was run by Mario).
Interesting. Maybe my path will cross with him as I plan on doing a DriveTeq track day on the 11th of October.

Here is one more photo of Heimrath. It looks pretty much the same as today.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Interesting. Maybe my path will cross with him as I plan on doing a DriveTeq track day on the 11th of October.

I'll be at that event also--hope he shows

Gary
Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

I'll be there as well... chasing Gary!

VRYALT3R3D - what car will you be driving?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:45 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Doug, until we get to the back straight

Did 3 hours @ the Glen y-day in the pouring rain--now I'm ready for anything!

Gary
Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

VRYALT3R3D - what car will you be driving?
I have a 2015 Mustang GT(Orange) that I will be driving unless I pick up the Viper ACR I am looking at today. Actually I'd probably take the Mustang GT because it is better to learn on than an ACR.

I have been to TMP at least 5 times this year but I have never been at Mosport. So this is going to be an interesting experience. I will probably be in the novice section as I am a newbie to the track.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

See I was told the issue came down to warranty claims on *his* race car that were submitted as customer street car claims...
Old 09-28-2018, 01:39 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gbuff
Yeah, Doug, until we get to the back straight

Did 3 hours @ the Glen y-day in the pouring rain--now I'm ready for anything!

Gary
Excellent - I gather you'll be coming to the DriveTeq event at the DDT in mid-February then?

Am off to Tremblant w/ DriveTeq this weekend and back at Mosport on Wed with 6th Gear. Trying to squeeze in as much track time as I can before winter hibernation...

I have a 2015 Mustang GT(Orange) that I will be driving unless I pick up the Viper ACR I am looking at today. Actually I'd probably take the Mustang GT because it is better to learn on than an ACR.

I have been to TMP at least 5 times this year but I have never been at Mosport. So this is going to be an interesting experience. I will probably be in the novice section as I am a newbie to the track.
If TMP is your "baseline", you're in for a real treat! And, I completely agree that you should bring the GT. Both Mosport and a Viper can be a handful on their own, so there's absolutely no point in taking unnecessary risks. Will look for your car there on the 18th.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:50 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
See I was told the issue came down to warranty claims on *his* race car that were submitted as customer street car claims...
Interesting. Hadn't heard that before, but it would not be out of line with some of the other stories I have heard.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:10 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Excellent - I gather you'll be coming to the DriveTeq event at the DDT in mid-February then?

Am off to Tremblant w/ DriveTeq this weekend and back at Mosport on Wed with 6th Gear. Trying to squeeze in as much track time as I can before winter hibernation...
Really no need for a track day in Feb'y, Doug--the way we slide around here in Buffalo every day is a track day!

May see you @ 6thGear tho'.......

Gary
.....enjoy LeCircuit! Have to get back there.......
Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

RE -cheating.
It's only cheating after you get caught. Before that, your just pushing the rules.
I was Honda/Michelin in '88. My 13oo cc car was stupid fast. As fast as the new bodied 15oo's.
Rumour was big teams/shops would take out the engine and kind of blue print and balance.
Not blue print like, grinding and sanding a rod or piston? But measure 100 pistons, and 100 rods.
Find the best matched set and reassemble.
The new 1988 cars had the engines sealed into the chassis, the head and valve cover sealed to the block.
That negated tampering...

Quick Reply: Heimrath Porsche - Scarborough