O.T :moving to Hull area

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 05:22 PM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.T :moving to Hull area

Hi All,

Just a quick message to say that my family and I ( my Wife my 2 year old son and our new baby) are moving to the Hull region from Belgium, Europe.

My Wife is French and I am English, so it makes sense to us to move to this area where french and english are used well together.

I already have very very good contact with rennlist people in the area but in order to stop continuously bugging one person, I was interested to know if any other rennlister's up there who have a young family might be able to help with a little advice for some different subjects about our move.

I am also looking to find a 2 or 3 bedroom rental property for our first few 6 to 12 months in the same area. We are expecting to arrive late summer or early winter.

If you are able to help please feel free to drop me a mail.

Many thanks to you all.

Old 01-11-2004, 11:04 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I can't offer you anything, cuz I don't live near there, except to say, fantastic driving roads in the Gateneau Hills. Try to settle in before winter though, it snows like you would not believe. We are talking 2 metres on the ground untill spring and that isn't until the end of April. Welcome though to the greatest country in the world.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:29 PM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info on the snow jim.

I guess I'll be needing a 4x4.

now thats an interesting option for a 944.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:13 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

You'll need a lift kit and least 33" tires. Now that would be a sight.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:09 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Gatineau (Hull doesn't exist since 2003!).

I have friends in Real Estate so it might come in handy.

All questions welcomed.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

You're leaving Belgium to come to Canada? Are you nuts? Our chocolate isn't even as good. Forget the 4x4, just get a Carrera 4. By the way, Montreal is both French and English and they have better restaurants. Either way, you'll be very close to one of the best race tracks in North America. Have a safe trip and welcome!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:05 AM
delhi
Racer

Being a Torontonian I gotta say them Montrealians really know how to PARTY! Hah! Not to mention Quebecers don't need to put a front license plate on their cars unlike stupid Ontario!
Oh well at least we have a Hockey Team. hehehehehe
Old 01-14-2004, 04:23 PM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Hey all,

Jim, 33 inch tyres on a 944 thats like monster truck teritory, but yeah, a real sight to see. And Giraffe, I really appreciate your help, I will send you a PM if thats alright.

Hey, alon, I see you got a C2, I really would like to get a C4, I actually saw a real nice C4s RS yesterday, drool drool, but just to give you all a bit of info, I am a car dealer by trade, been in Belgium with my own company doing new car exports to UK and other Right Hand Drive countries
(I get to buy new Right Hand Drive cars here in Belgium cheap)

And now I am going to go back into a main dealership when I get to Canada.

I have been in touch with a couple of dealers south of the river in Ottawa, and it is looking good for me to get back into work there no problem.

I will of course let everyone know where I am going to be working, especially as I have an offer from a certain german sports car dealership.

And Deli, I hope to find out about the partying situation when I get there, but with a new kid I dont think I will be doing much, however I have family in Toronto, and all I can say is GO LEAFS in fact my first son has a leafs hat and wears it with pride.

Any other feed back is gratefully accepted, and just a thought, if I am going to be packing a container for my move, I dont see any reason as to why there should not be a whole hill of spares in there of the Euro spec variety, lets see what happens :-))
Old 01-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Have you checked with Mark Motors )Ottawa based Porsche dealership) to gain employment (if that is what you're looking for)? They are supposed to be a good dealership. As far as importing/exporting cars to and from one country to another, I'd love to get your help in the future to locate and secure a mint Carrera RS (1992-1993 vintage) for me. In Canada, we can import almost any car that is 15 years or older from the date of manufacturing and "tag" it as a vintage car. That way, it does not have to meet emmisions standards, safety/crash standards, etc. I will be looking to import one of these beauties in 2006. As far as Montreal, it is the closest thing to a European city on this of the ocean. By the way, if you track your car, there is a brand new, world class race track opening in the Ottawa region this spring. It is being built specifically to be used by auto enthusiast clubs.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:37 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Alon,

What's that track you're talking about? Where is it being constructed exactly? It's the first time I've heard about this project...
Old 01-21-2004, 02:13 PM
SteveNick
Addict
Rennlist Member

The track Alon's referring to is in Calabogie, ON about 40 mins north west of Ottawa. Supposed to be quite close to the ski hill. Last I heard it is scheduled to open in July of this year. At this point the Rennsport PCA has two track days scheduled there this year so it sounds like it's really going to happen. It's planned to be just over 5 Km in length which I think is just a shade longer than Tremblant.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
delhi
Racer

why does race tracks be so darn far?! the closest one to GTA is Mosport and there's not a gas station insight for 20 minutes!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

You can gas up at the track. Beside that, I can pretty much run all day on a full tank without refilling. You need to refill?

Quick Reply: O.T :moving to Hull area