Notices

Does Shell still have ethanol free gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Henry
In Ontario except for ESSO and petro canada all gas is the same, it all comes from the same refinery. ESSO and petro canada come from a different refinery in Montreal.
The big thing for me is I want super from a station that sees high turnover on the premo. No such thing as mid-grade from the refinery, it's mixed reg and super at the pump that's why it's 5% methanol.
Turbo's would actually benefit from methanol, besides boosting octane it has a cooling effect in the burn.
Modern cars don't really have a problem with methanol, as long as it doesn't sit in the tank long. Over winter storage use pure gas and stabilizer.

Easy gas/methanol test is take a glass jar (small, tall and skinny is best) and fill it with some gas, add 10% water to it, give it a shake and let it stand for a few minutes.
If the water on the bottom looks like it doubled in volume that's 10% methanol. No change in the 10% water level no methanol.
I've tested super at costco, shell, ultramar, etc., the premo is pure.
What gas do you run in your car?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 338 Posts

same idea, different tuner/company... I left my GIAC/EVOMS tune for EPL (GIAC didn't know 'how' they set the tune for my car-P.O. tuned with GIAC).
Either the fuel quality is similar(BTU + knock resistance) or you're leaving power on the table...not always a bad thing.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
is EPL the same as the tune cstyles mentions "customized tune with Kevin @ UMW"

I have the 996tt GIAC tune. Not sure about changing it, I run Shell 91 and have run ultra 94. Doesn't seem to matter which one I use I see no difference on top speed on the back straight at Mosport. From what I can tell it run greats with the giac tune.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
same idea, different tuner/company... I left my GIAC/EVOMS tune for EPL (GIAC didn't know 'how' they set the tune for my car-P.O. tuned with GIAC).
Either the fuel quality is similar(BTU + knock resistance) or you're leaving power on the table...not always a bad thing.
ok got it. I don't mind leaving power on the table as the car is mostly just used on track and need to run a 91. I will get the k16 billet hybrid turbos when I need more power.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
What gas do you run in your car?
My engines, like most custom engines I build, are set up to run on 91 octane gas.
I fill at costco, shell, ultramar and even my local Independent (grocery chain brand). All I'm looking for is a station where I assume there's a fairly high turn around on the premium fuel. Since my Porsche has webers and my fuel injected '67 bug gets stored 6 months/yr, I use no methanol. The wife's DD and my winter beater I use regular.

The only real difference in the brands is the additive package, which is added to tanker truck when loading and mixes as the truck drives down the road.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Does anyone know if any Esso in Ottawa carry the 93?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Whiplash_89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car runs on 93 (V8 BMW). I did put in Petro 91 in it once since it was the only option at the time. I had high revs when the car would first turn on. But since then I've been putting in Petro 94, and its been working great.

Quick Reply: Does Shell still have ethanol free gas?