Notices

Castrol React SRF Brake Fluid in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 07:05 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
One thing I just learned is that FCP Euro sells SRF. It's not cheap at all, but it is included in their infinite replacement policy. So after you've bought it once, you can send back the old fluid for free replacements: https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
Have you tried returning it before, how was the experience? It seems SRF is selling for around $120 in Canada now, so the FCP Euro price isn't too far off.

Last edited by Speed2k; 11-26-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:52 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Have you tried returning it before, how was the experience? It seems SRF is selling for around $120 in Canada now, so the FCP Euro price isn't too far off.
By the time you buy your second bottle from FCP and pay for international shipping, the exorbitant brokerage and customs clearance fees all couriers charge and the duty / taxes on it, and then pay for shipping the original brake fluid back to FCP, you will have spent more than buying two bottles locally. Besides, all other things being equal, you'd be better off changing your brake fluid twice as often with Motul RBF600 or similar that costs half as much as the Castrol RBF than getting a brake fluid that has a marginally higher boiling point when dry but starts absorbing moisture the moment you pop the lid off the container and using that for twice as long. A few years ago the PCA UCR tech inspection required a brake fluid flush no more than 90 days before a DE day. Although that interval has now been extended to a year, there was a very good reason for it that is equally valid today.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:41 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 71 Posts

I haven't returned brake fluid to them, but I've returned other things without issue.
The following users liked this post:
Speed2k (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 04:04 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 928gt
By the time you buy your second bottle from FCP and pay for international shipping, the exorbitant brokerage and customs clearance fees all couriers charge and the duty / taxes on it, and then pay for shipping the original brake fluid back to FCP, you will have spent more than buying two bottles locally. Besides, all other things being equal, you'd be better off changing your brake fluid twice as often with Motul RBF600 or similar that costs half as much as the Castrol RBF than getting a brake fluid that has a marginally higher boiling point when dry but starts absorbing moisture the moment you pop the lid off the container and using that for twice as long. A few years ago the PCA UCR tech inspection required a brake fluid flush no more than 90 days before a DE day. Although that interval has now been extended to a year, there was a very good reason for it that is equally valid today.
Yep, whether it's worth it or not to order from the states really depends on the other "costs". Although, that being said, the shipping charges aren't too bad, and if one has something to order anyways, adding it on doesn't affect the shipping charges much.

Have you tried the SRF before? I used it for the first time last season in my S2000 and did 4 track days with it, with no fade. Granted, the car and driver (me) are slow but even my fast friends whom I usually have take my car out each event said the brakes felt fine. I read in a BMW forum where one guy does 30 track days per year in his M3 without changing out his SRF fluid, this is quite extreme; closer to home though, my friends that track a lot more often than I do also only change our their SRF once per year, I don't think this is possible using the Motul.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:28 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Fwiw I also ran SRF in my S2k for a couple years, first on stock brakes, then with upgraded. It worked, but I did find I had to bleed out a few bubbles after each track day. I've since switched to Project Mu, as it has a higher dry temp threshold, and also has a cool property where it changes color when it needs a change. Have found it holds up better. I'm very hard on the brakes though (literally set the stock brakes on fire before upgrading) so YMMV.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:00 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Fwiw I also ran SRF in my S2k for a couple years, first on stock brakes, then with upgraded. It worked, but I did find I had to bleed out a few bubbles after each track day. I've since switched to Project Mu, as it has a higher dry temp threshold, and also has a cool property where it changes color when it needs a change. Have found it holds up better. I'm very hard on the brakes though (literally set the stock brakes on fire before upgrading) so YMMV.
I've seen your track videos Nate! I know you are much faster than I am on track. I look forward to meeting and learning from you at the S2k track day next year. Thanks for the info on the Project Mu though, maybe one day I'll need to use it as well!
Old 11-27-2021, 05:24 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

I've seen your track videos Nate! I know you are much faster than I am on track. I look forward to meeting and learning from you at the S2k track day next year. Thanks for the info on the Project Mu though, maybe one day I'll need to use it as well!
Cool, that should be a fun day! Hopefully the weather's nice.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:44 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Yep, whether it's worth it or not to order from the states really depends on the other "costs". Although, that being said, the shipping charges aren't too bad, and if one has something to order anyways, adding it on doesn't affect the shipping charges much.

Have you tried the SRF before? I used it for the first time last season in my S2000 and did 4 track days with it, with no fade. Granted, the car and driver (me) are slow but even my fast friends whom I usually have take my car out each event said the brakes felt fine. I read in a BMW forum where one guy does 30 track days per year in his M3 without changing out his SRF fluid, this is quite extreme; closer to home though, my friends that track a lot more often than I do also only change our their SRF once per year, I don't think this is possible using the Motul.
Yup, I've used SRF for a number of years on a few different track and race cars. Then a couple of years ago my wife (who is harder on the brakes than I am) was doing a track day in the "fast" track car on full slicks and she managed to get it to start to boil. I suspect the fact that the pads were close to done also contributed to the higher caliper temps, but the pedal was getting soft. Flushed and replaced it with fresh Wilwood fluid trackside and had no issues with the same worn pads. Now I just get the shop to bleed the fluid after every couple of track days and flush it after every four with Wilwood, Pagid or Motul RBF so I know that I've got fresh fluid in the calipers. The moral of the story is that three-month old SRF will have absorbed enough moisture to drop the fluid boiling point below that of six-week-old Wilwood / Pagid / Motul RBF. Any fresh fluid is better than the best fluid that has been absorbing moisture for more than a few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
Speed2k (12-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Castrol React SRF Brake Fluid in Canada