Notices

Autobahn Adventure driving tour - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Have fun. will be an adventure. ..I have done this many times, but I tend to do it independently. More work, but I enjoy the independence.
I'd do the same.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Flights booked!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Flights booked!
That's great to hear. Glad you were able to firm up. 😁
Old 08-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

4 more sleeps!

Where does the time go?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I'll be in Germany for two weeks this october. Rented an M140i, so Ill have to make due with my own adventure
Old 08-30-2018, 09:25 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
4 more sleeps!

Where does the time go?
We’re pretty excited too. Far more anticipation for this trip than usual. Seeing the photos of the other participants got us talking about what everyone is like. ��

I may have made a mistake on our flights though. For Europe, we normally fly business class on Lufthansa or Brussels, or A/C. When I was looking for these flights, I stumbled onto some Condor flights. Timing was better, and the price was great, so I booked. Only later did I learn Condor is a kind of discount airline, kind of like Air Transat. Seats are business class. Hope it works out ok. The reviews are mixed.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Smitten

We’re pretty excited too. Far more anticipation for this trip than usual. Seeing the photos of the other participants got us talking about what everyone is like. ��

I may have made a mistake on our flights though. For Europe, we normally fly business class on Lufthansa or Brussels, or A/C. When I was looking for these flights, I stumbled onto some Condor flights. Timing was better, and the price was great, so I booked. Only later did I learn Condor is a kind of discount airline, kind of like Air Transat. Seats are business class. Hope it works out ok. The reviews are mixed.
Lufthansa's product is old and dated. We stick with AC first class and get access to this (which is pretty good)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ure-suite.html
Old 08-31-2018, 02:01 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Looks nicer than the maple leaf lounge. I've never seen First Class offered by AC.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

We just returned home from this trip.Overall, I would describe it as outstanding and exceptional. It was also surprisingly good value. There was enough freedom to travel where and when you wanted. The Avis-supplied 911s were perfect. We all had cabriolets, ranging from a Carrera 4 to a couple of GTS's. Most were C2S and C4S models.

The hotels were truly exceptional in all regards. All 5-stars, in great locations, with staff who were genuinely happy to find ways to make your stay perfect.

The organisers did an amazing job handling problems. Jamie140 can speak more to that as he was one whose car needed mechanical help. Mostly, drivers destroyed the right-side wheels and tires. The roads up in the high passes are narrow (less than 2 cars wide), very tight, blind corners, with virtually no shoulders, sharp rocky curbs, speed limits often higher than you maintain. I would have no problem recommending Autobahn Adventures. Many of the group on this tour are repeat customers, we all talked about coming back, and some couples have multiple future tours already booked.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

.Mostly, drivers destroyed the right-side wheels and tires. The roads up in the high passes are narrow (less than 2 cars wide), very tight, blind corners, with virtually no shoulders, sharp rocky curbs, speed limits often higher than you maintain...
How the hell are you guys destroying rims and tires?? I've been on the Glockner twice and all over the black forest and numerous small regional roads without so much as a chip. Of course if you play boy racer pretending to apex every narrow mountain road without caring it can happen...
Old 09-18-2018, 05:06 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
How the hell are you guys destroying rims and tires?? I've been on the Glockner twice and all over the black forest and numerous small regional roads without so much as a chip. Of course if you play boy racer pretending to apex every narrow mountain road without caring it can happen...
Re-reading my post, I see that I made it sound like the entire group took out wheels. In fact, 3 cars suffered damaged wheels. 2 of those clipped the rough stone curb on narrow roads high in a pass. One rubbed a curb entering a parking structure. As for “how” they did it, I’d call it driver error. To get more specifics, You’d have to ask one of those who did it. I returned the car unscathed.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Re-reading my post, I see that I made it sound like the entire group took out wheels. In fact, 3 cars suffered damaged wheels. 2 of those clipped the rough stone curb on narrow roads high in a pass. One rubbed a curb entering a parking structure. As for “how” they did it, I’d call it driver error. To get more specifics, You’d have to ask one of those who did it. I returned the car unscathed.
I've gone on the organized trips (the competition) with Porsche's as well as renting a 991 on my own from Avis de. When I returned the car back to the train station in Munich after a week, the girl checking the car over went around every rim, checked the body intimately and then checked the whole windshield. She spoke really good English so I flippantly asked her if she would be using an electron beam microscope next. I got a very sour face from her and she tore the sheet off the clip board (signed) and handed it to me without a word. They really like to deduct damage from that deposit.. That's why I treated the car with cotton gloves and was very precise when driving and parking. I also only parked it where it was hard to get a ding in the doors - Munich being way worse than Stuttgart for crappy looking cars parking near you. But I was warned ahead of time about Avis return inspections from Peter Sontag when I mentioned I was going to return and rent on my own. His heads up on green painted traffic cameras in the bushes around Stuttgart or at the entrances to tunnels paid off as my VISA survived any additional charges. I have friends that can't say this after driving in Germany and Austria!

Quick Reply: Autobahn Adventure driving tour - anyone else?