Notices

Autobahn Adventure driving tour - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Autobahn Adventure driving tour - anyone else?

My wife and I are registered for an Autobahn Adventure driving tour in September. I’m hoping there are some other Canuckistanis on the trip. Anyone here going or interested? https://autobahnadventures.com/drivi...dventure-2018/

We'll go a day or 2 early... any suggestions for things to see and do in Frankfurt or Wiesbaden?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Hmmmm... would absolutely love to.

Will discuss with better.

Any idea when it might fill up?

Last edited by Jamie140; 03-07-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Hmmmm... would absolutely love to.

Will discuss with better.

Any idea when it might fill up?
I would only be guessing. Sorry. Mark, the guy who runs the show, is very easy to reach and to talk to. *(702) 997-7675‬
Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Reserved, with an asterisk.

Barb's dad is unfortunately dying. He'll be gone within the next 72 hours, so can't really discuss this in much detail with her. However, they were kind enough to allow me to reserve a spot.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Reserved, with an asterisk.

Barb's dad is unfortunately dying. He'll be gone within the next 72 hours, so can't really discuss this in much detail with her. However, they were kind enough to allow me to reserve a spot.
Sorry about your FIL. That will be tough for your wife, I’m sure. This will be an amazing trip... she’ll see that, once she gets to a point where she can move on to more normal things.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

That looks amazing....I would be all in but I did our own version of that trip 5 years back with my wife and late teens in an S class in Switzerland and a Panamera in Germany....this looks a great trip and you’ll get to know some fellow gear heads who like a good glass of wine and comfortable accommodation - a powerful mix of character traits!

Jamie...sorry to hear about father in law.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Have fun. will be an adventure. ..I have done this many times, but I tend to do it independently. More work, but I enjoy the independence.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Have fun. will be an adventure. ..I have done this many times, but I tend to do it independently. More work, but I enjoy the independence.
Exactly. I've done it with their competition (Fastlane) and done it on our own and had just as much fun, at half the cost and didn't miss anything. We enjoyed the freedom to wonder off into the mountains on our own.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:00 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

With these guys, you're free to travel on your own. The destinations are all programmed into the nav systems. You choose to stay with the group or strike out alone. The hotels are booked, and they schlep your luggage for you.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

In Frankfurt see this:

Insane private cars on display like a museum. Will blow your mind:
https://jalopnik.com/this-old-factor...eam-1712089335

Historic old-town walk. There's not much to see as it was blown to **** in the war but cute:
https://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/old-town-walk-2558.html

Drink beer.

Done.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Smitten
With these guys, you're free to travel on your own.
*Free* to travel is a loose term. Only true to a degree. They set the expected kilometers for the day - generally 400 to 500km's per day for their route. If you keep striking out on your own doing a different route each day that is further then their plans and at the end of the trip you have say, an extra 500km on the odometer - they charge you the difference from the 'expected' distance. I rented a 991S from Avis and the 'overage' was 1 euro per km... Generally the only way to hit big overages is staying on the autobahns for great distances - over a few hours at over 200kph this can really suck up the kilometers! Most of their point A to point B only has a few route variations you could take anyway unless you get lost looking for Hitlers Eagles Nest and kept missing the dumb tree covered entrance way because you're driving too damn fast your spouse says. (LOL)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
*Free* to travel is a loose term. Only true to a degree. They set the expected kilometers for the day - generally 400 to 500km's per day for their route. If you keep striking out on your own doing a different route each day that is further then their plans and at the end of the trip you have say, an extra 500km on the odometer - they charge you the difference from the 'expected' distance. I rented a 991S from Avis and the 'overage' was 1 euro per km... Generally the only way to hit big overages is staying on the autobahns for great distances - over a few hours at over 200kph this can really suck up the kilometers! Most of their point A to point B only has a few route variations you could take anyway unless you get lost looking for Hitlers Eagles Nest and kept missing the dumb tree covered entrance way because you're driving too damn fast your spouse says. (LOL)
Easy to find the entrance to the Wachenfeld property (Berghof), slow down as you approach the nice curve immediately down the hill from Hotel Zum Turken. The "Bormann Tree" was destroyed in May 1945 but "The Bormann Bush" is visible as a marker for a narrow pathway. Small opening in the wooded area still reveals its past (some massive retaining walls), and a posted plaque describing the history. After speaking in German (with a heavy Bavarian accent) with the solitary man standing at attention, like a soul surviving remnant of the Waffen SS, you'll want to hop right back into your lovely ride and get out of there as fast as you can. Definitely a fun area for driving nice cars.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bahama

Easy to find the entrance to the Wachenfeld property (Berghof), slow down as you approach the nice curve immediately down the hill from Hotel Zum Turken. The "Bormann Tree" was destroyed in May 1945 but "The Bormann Bush" is visible as a marker for a narrow pathway. Small opening in the wooded area still reveals its past (some massive retaining walls), and a posted plaque describing the history. After speaking in German (with a heavy Bavarian accent) with the solitary man standing at attention, like a soul surviving remnant of the Waffen SS, you'll want to hop right back into your lovely ride and get out of there as fast as you can. Definitely a fun area for driving nice cars.
Now you tell me...

I'm in Switzerland this May but another attempt might happen in 19 hopefully.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 AM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Now you tell me...

I'm in Switzerland this May but another attempt might happen in 19 hopefully.
Think of me in 2019...I can be your navigator, co-driver, translator, beer taster, and history tour guide (I honestly knew more about the Berlin 3rd R Tour than the fella trying to convince 25 of us that Goering helped pen Mein Kampf
Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

MUST RESIST !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Autobahn Adventure driving tour - anyone else?