Importing from Europe - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Importing from Europe - Advice

Hello

I'm currently based in Europe and will be relocating to Canada next year (I've recently obtained permanent residency). At the moment I have a 2009 997.2 C4S which I've owned for 3+ years, I originally bought the car in Dubai (when I lived there) and exported it home, where it is now registered - it's my pride and joy. Unfortunately it seems Ii cannot bring this with me to Canada, as it's not US/North American Spec nor is it older than 15 years.

So I have a few questions, if someone could either point me in the right direction or simply offer some advice.

1) If i wait until my 997 is 15 years old (circa 2023), would I be able to import it into Canada then? (annoying wait however, and would mean storing it for 4 years). However the car is in great condition, low KM's, rust free etc. Will I have tax/duty to pay?

2) If i sold my 997 and bought a 993 (always wanted one), since they are older than 15 years, in theory there should be no issues importing one? I'd be looking at buying a German/EU spec car. Therefore any issues importing a EU 993 into Canada?

3) Don't bother, sell the 997 and buy one/993 when I'm in Canada.

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Rich
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

You are correct. Must be 15 years or older.

1) Yes
2) No issues if over 15. Might need CATS for emissions. All cars in Canada from 1988 and up require emission testing.
3) 993's are not easy to find, very sought after. Likely more selection in Europe than in Canada. You could look at the US but the exchange rate is terrible.

From the Government site:Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act, cannot be altered to comply with these requirements and cannot be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to the rule are vehicles 15 years old or older and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.For more information, please call Transport Canada’s Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate at 1-613-998-8616.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The only issue with a 993 is that you might not want to drive it in the winter, depending on where in Canada you're moving, due to salt and poor road conditions. An AWD C4S will handle the snow as well as any other car that's not a huge SUV or something, and the salt issue isn't any worse than any other car. But a 993, being a somewhat rare and special car, wouldn't be ideal to be driving through the salt (Ontario and Quebec use a TON of the stuff, worse than almost anywhere else I've ever driven in the winter). Unless you're moving to Vancouver, in which case disregard all this and buy a 993
Old 09-17-2018, 11:29 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christien
The only issue with a 993 is that you might not want to drive it in the winter, depending on where in Canada you're moving, due to salt and poor road conditions. An AWD C4S will handle the snow as well as any other car that's not a huge SUV or something, and the salt issue isn't any worse than any other car. But a 993, being a somewhat rare and special car, wouldn't be ideal to be driving through the salt (Ontario and Quebec use a TON of the stuff, worse than almost anywhere else I've ever driven in the winter). Unless you're moving to Vancouver, in which case disregard all this and buy a 993
Haha, thanks! The plan is to move to Vancouver.

I'm kind of pushing towards a 993, since I could bring it with me straight away. 993 wouldn't be my daily driver (maybe in spring/summer/autum), my 997 isn't here anyway.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
You are correct. Must be 15 years or older.

1) Yes
2) No issues if over 15. Might need CATS for emissions. All cars in Canada from 1988 and up require emission testing.
3) 993's are not easy to find, very sought after. Likely more selection in Europe than in Canada. You could look at the US but the exchange rate is terrible.

From the Government site:Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act, cannot be altered to comply with these requirements and cannot be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to the rule are vehicles 15 years old or older and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.For more information, please call Transport Canada’s Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate at 1-613-998-8616.
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM
CDNRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a 993, you will pay a duty, believe it's around 6%. 993's are very hard to find, so if you can source one, bring it.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Originally Posted by CDNRay
If you get a 993, you will pay a duty, believe it's around 6%. 993's are very hard to find, so if you can source one, bring it.
I've already listed a Porsche 911 as 'Goods to Follow' when I landed and validated my residency earlier this year.. From what I've read, as I'll be using it as personal use (not for business), I can claim it as tax/duty exempt.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, no duty if it's your own personal vehicle and you're moving here.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

I think a 997 c4s is a sweet spot for me in the water cooled cars
How cool would it be to come here. Set up a new life. Find a home job get settled. Then when you are comfortable 4 years in, bring your porsche over
Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick question: I thought you can import it into Canada but cannot register it and drive it on the public roads here. Not sure if you could drive it on a track after you trailer it back and forth

George
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I would find something unique and bring that over. 996 Gt3 Clubsport for example.

BC has weird rules around paying tax upon registration. I would read up on those - for example - if you’re here for more than 3 months before you register your own car you pay sales tax. Dumb stuff so read it.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:30 AM
rich_r
Instructor

Originally Posted by george44
Quick question: I thought you can import it into Canada but cannot register it and drive it on the public roads here. Not sure if you could drive it on a track after you trailer it back and forth

George
Very good point and I did wonder this.

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I would find something unique and bring that over. 996 Gt3 Clubsport for example.

BC has weird rules around paying tax upon registration. I would read up on those - for example - if you’re here for more than 3 months before you register your own car you pay sales tax. Dumb stuff so read it.
I have looked at GT3's as well, and agree something unique would be nice to bring with me. My 997 does have some sentimental value however. Thanks for the tip on tax thing, I'll read up on it,

Quick Reply: Importing from Europe - Advice