Notices

OT: well water

Old 02-26-2018, 04:20 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I hired a plumber and electrician.
I have the ability to do it myself, BUT chose to have someone else to yell at.
I have a water softener as well. Perhaps it is time to change out that resin salt holder?
It resides on a barrel dolly, just above the water contact switch.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:51 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The watersoftener resin tank should be life long. I think my failure can be attributed to the previous owners. I think the salt they used formed a salt bridge. and they would beat on it with a rusty crow bar that was hanging beside the watersoftener. I think they nicked the fiberglass wrap on the resin tank causing a weak spot.

It does have me concerned a little bit though as hour watersoftener, furnace, water heater are on the otherside of the basement from our sump well.... and there is now finished space in between.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:34 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a 60 foot drilled well at the cottage. Well is 60 years old. About 15 years ago, I redid the plumbing to use the well instead of lake water. Initially, I had a strong sulphur smell. Treated well with chlorine a couple times a year. After 5 years, sulphur smell is gone. Water is a little hard. I don’t like water softeners. Don’t like feeling after a shower.

i have a uv filter plus particle then carbon filter. Test water annually, no issues. Wife did insist on a bottled water cooler. Realized that now we have half the recycling as we don’t allow water bottles at the cottage. Tell guests to use a glass or bring your own bottle.

Only issue really was the purchase of the dishwasher. I wanted a Bosch and sales guy recommended against it due to hard water.

btw, I turn off my water, hit breaker for hot water heater when we are not ther (spend about 100 nights at cottage per year). Even though pressure switch will shut off pump in a low pressure situation.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:40 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Like many places in southern Ontario your water is likely full of iron which makes it difficult to filter out all the other crap. We recently installed an iron filter in addition to a new softener to augment the filters and sterilight. Our salt consumption is now 10% of what it was before the upgrade. System came from GTA water but I did the install, no affiliation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: well water