First time visitor to the Toronto area question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:12 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts
Default First time visitor to the Toronto area question

Hey everyone,

I'll be heading up to Toronto for a visit next weekend and staying in the downtown harbor area. I have some free time on Monday morning before heading back to NY and was thinking of visiting a few high end dealers to drool a bit.

The only Porsche dealer I've heard about is Pfaff. There also seems to be several other high end dealers in the Vaughan area.

Any other suggestions?

So as of right now my plan is to head to Markham for dim sim in the morning from the Harborfront Center and then hit the dealers. Should I wait until after 9AM for the traffic to clear up?

Being from NYC I'm used to traffic and I'd rather not deal with it while I'm on vacation if at all possible!

Thanks,
-Pete
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Markam is a fair haul from downtown in traffic, so yeah wait . It is true that Ferrari mcclaren and BMW are in autopark circle but I think Pfaff Porsche have moved out of there now.
Downtown Porsche is close to the distillery district which is a nice area to walk around if you are on vacation but is no where near up to the standards of the new facilities . people are nice though.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:25 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Downtown Fine Cars is exactly that. Right downtown.
Since your going to Markham, you'll be passing right by the new Porsche Centre North Toronto. (Hwy 401/404)
Also, if your crossing via Buffalo/Niagara, you'll be driving right by Oakville Porsche as well (QEW).
Both are visible from the highway/freeway.
Pfaff is a bit out of your way (hwy 400) but also a brand new facility.
Also north of town is the new Uptown Lamborghini dealer.

Oh and Markham has the best Dim Sum restaurants.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:40 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Hey everyone,

I'll be heading up to Toronto for a visit next weekend and staying in the downtown harbor area. I have some free time on Monday morning before heading back to NY and was thinking of visiting a few high end dealers to drool a bit.

The only Porsche dealer I've heard about is Pfaff. There also seems to be several other high end dealers in the Vaughan area.

Any other suggestions?

So as of right now my plan is to head to Markham for dim sim in the morning from the Harborfront Center and then hit the dealers. Should I wait until after 9AM for the traffic to clear up?

Being from NYC I'm used to traffic and I'd rather not deal with it while I'm on vacation if at all possible!

Thanks,
-Pete
You have the best dim sum place, 10 min from your hotel. The Pink Pearl @ Queens Quay. Unless your meeting people in markham, you won't need to go all the way there for dim sum.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I always see lots of Porsches driving around in downtown Toronto. Kinda cool! They sound great with all the tall buildings trapping in the sound.

Traffic in and around Toronto sucks!

Best coffee is Quantum Coffee on King Street. They do awesome pour-overs.

Best vibe/food/scene- check our Pai Northern Thai Kitchen on Duncan Street.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Thanks all for the quick responses; especially the dim sum suggestion!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Lex has some good suggestions. The food scene is huge in Toronto and full of authenticity..
Dundas West. Queen West. King West.. You're surrounded by great food, lots of bars/pubs/clubs, dinner lounges, theaters... lots of eye candy around on weekends

If you get some late night chinese food cravings you can likely order from "Hong Shing" that's @ Bay st & Dundas st.. They are open until 5am I believe.. lol
The club crowd hammers that place after midnight so be warned..

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

load up your WAZE, before venturing any ware.
I will give you a estimated time for travel.
Downtown? Go for a beer tour at steamwistle.ca at the roundhouse.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Might as well go to DT Porsche since its close by, the showroom is small but the service area will have all sorts of GT cars.

Pfaff has a state of the art facility so might as well go there, but its far.

Grand Touring autos downtown is opening in November, you will just miss that. It looks amazing.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Monday morning traffic on the DVP is often a disaster, so I would stay downtown. Let me know how long you are in town and I can grab a coffee with you ( I live downtown but it would be later in the morning..can give you a ride over to DT).
Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't bother looking at cars, enjoy the city...........
Old 10-25-2017, 10:22 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
Monday morning traffic on the DVP is often a disaster, so I would stay downtown. Let me know how long you are in town and I can grab a coffee with you ( I live downtown but it would be later in the morning..can give you a ride over to DT).
I'm so tempted to try Dragon Boat Fusion in Markham after seeing it on YouTube but I can see how traffic would be nuts on a Monday morning!

I'll be arriving in town Friday afternoon and staying until Monday morning before heading back to NY.

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Don't bother looking at cars, enjoy the city...........
Wise advice here. Being from the NYC area, I've had my share of dealers to visit and I guess if you've seen one, you've seen them all!

I may just decide to relax a bit at the hotel Monday morning instead of diving into traffic. I'm paying so much for the room I might as well squeeze all the time I can from it!

I really appreciate all the advice from all the locals here, thank you. If anyone finds themselves heading to the NYC area and have questions, please feel free to message me with any questions!!

The GT4 will be staying home and I'll be taking the G35 sedan but will slap winter tires on it this weekend just in case.

Being a photo nerd my goal is to get a nice nighttime panoramic skyline photo of the city from Toronto Island Park. Here are some photos I've taken of NYC recently:

by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Old 10-26-2017, 09:18 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

^Wicked shots Pete!
Humber Bay Park will offer you some great views and some interesting driftwood art.
Cheery Beach may also provide you with some great snaps.
Hop over to the Distillery district for some sights and good food/drink.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Toronto island ferry is always cool if you have never done it.
You will get some great shots this time of year
Old 10-26-2017, 10:25 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

The skyline view from the Island is very nice, another is just east of the downtown at Church and Front St's, At night you'll get the glass towers, the CN Tower in back with a unique older angle building in front which name escapes me at the moment.

Quick Reply: First time visitor to the Toronto area question