Notices

Looking for a 4 Post lift. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:58 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Thread Bump

@Onami - Any chance you have an update on the installation of your garage lift?

My place is sold conditionally (confirming end of week) and I spent the long weekend searching for some properties. I've narrowed down to my top 3 and the first pick has a nice garage that's deep enough to install a lift (I think) but unsure if the height will meet the requirements.

This may be an unreasonable ask, given the COVID situation and all, but if any of you are kind enough to let me take a peek at your garages, and let me drive my Corolla hatchback into it to get an idea of size/operation, I would really appreciate it. For what it's worth, the Boxster will go on the lift when not being driven or stored for the winter. Will be more than happy to offer up a Starbucks or Tim Horton's gift card in return of your time and efforts. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 03:23 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I am in downtown Toronto and would be happy to let you explore possibilities.
PM me if interested, no gift card required.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:43 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

What's the size of the new garage potentially? You can squeeze a car into 8x18 which is annoying but works, something 10x20 is nice and comfy for parking, and 16x24 is nice for working...assuming cars of course (corolla, boxster, etc.) for trucks, add 4 feet to length and 2 feet to width.
bcrdukes (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Lift is in, but I think I have to bolt it down as my floor is not level and it is tilting more than I am comfortable with. No cars on it yet at height. Will try and play with it this coming weekend. As for a visit, sorry, but not until after this mess is over. We have a child with Diabetes, so we are being extra careful.

bcrdukes (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:45 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
What's the size of the new garage potentially? You can squeeze a car into 8x18 which is annoying but works, something 10x20 is nice and comfy for parking, and 16x24 is nice for working...assuming cars of course (corolla, boxster, etc.) for trucks, add 4 feet to length and 2 feet to width.
I'm trying to get the floor plan or some rough measurements from the seller (may not know until end of week) but when I was viewing the property yesterday, just eyeballing it, I think it will work, but you never know. I highly suspect the garage door rails may need to be changed, but hard to say for sure. I regret not taking photos.

Originally Posted by Onami
Lift is in, but I think I have to bolt it down as my floor is not level and it is tilting more than I am comfortable with. No cars on it yet at height. Will try and play with it this coming weekend. As for a visit, sorry, but not until after this mess is over. We have a child with Diabetes, so we are being extra careful.
No problem - fully understand and respective of peoples decisions given the circumstances.

I may take up rideau on his offer after our PM exchange, but need to sort out my small mishap with the Corolla today (miscalculated a curb pulling away from a parking stall #noob)

How is your lift currently installed if it's not bolted down? And did you install this yourself? Or did Atlas install for you? I like that yours doesn't have an opening, leaving chance to a sitting car to drip oil/fluids to the vehicle below. Cool Camaro, by the way!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Thanks for understanding. Any other time and I’d be happy to show you.

These lifts are designed to operate without being bolted down. I had a pro installer do mine. He says the tilting is fine, but I don’t like it. I’ll try shimming it with heavy rubber pads this weekend, but if I’m not happy, I’ll shim it and bolt it down.

The lift comes with 4 drip trays and I bought extras to fill the space between the runways. I have 2 extra if anyone wants to buy them

if anyone has a caster set from a Direct Lift that they would like to sell, I’d be interested in talking!

Last edited by Onami; 08-04-2020 at 10:36 PM.
bcrdukes (08-04-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I'm trying to get the floor plan or some rough measurements from the seller (may not know until end of week) but when I was viewing the property yesterday, just eyeballing it, I think it will work, but you never know. I highly suspect the garage door rails may need to be changed, but hard to say for sure. I regret not taking photos.
Rails aren't too bad to have done and consider a jack shaft opener (liftmaster 3800 or 8500) to further clear out the ceiling space while you're at it. Height wise, you can sometimes get away with 9-10 feet with smaller vehicles depending on where the locks on the lift line up and what the ceiling looks like.

I'd offer to show my garage but as mentioned it's an in floor scissor lift so not really the style you're looking for...mine is meant for working on vehicles and staying out of the way otherwise. I only have 9 feet of unobstructed ceiling height and being a mid rise lift, only can go up around 44 inches with around a foot of space clear above with a compact SUV on it.
bcrdukes (08-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Looking for a 4 Post lift. Any suggestions?