Parade 2012 Taupo NZ

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
More...
Your car is very slick mate, like it a lot. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Thanks for the kind words Macca. Totally agree with the bit about 'apart from mine'. You have a very sweet car - the thing the guys on here can't fully appreciate is the details and that exhaust note!

Great effort in the gymkhana. You got it 100% right about getting a 911 right up there being a mission in itself - it was tight. Real Boxter/Cayman country.

Being part of that 993 line up driving along the lake shore was very cool. A great weekend to remember for sure.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the great pics! I didn't take many, and most of what I have is duplicated by others, so here's just a couple from me.

Amazingly, I never ran into NZ911, Macca or Nick at all -- a reflection of how many people were there I guess! It looks like I was in the other session for both the track activities and gymkhana.

A little bit of press coverage:

Porsche's moving memorial for Jason Richards

Le Mans Porsche in parade

The event was magic from start to finish, I had an amazing time. Here's looking forward to the next one, planned for 2025...

Last edited by Obsessed; 01-26-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Another 13 year wait, for real? I feel for the organisers, with people like me pulling out with a couple of months notice, but is there a lower effort way to have these more often?

Some models seemed to have a good attendence e.g. 356s, but it looks like only one of 12 Turbo 3.6s in NZ made the trip. Those owners must be Porsche nuts to have these cars in their garages. Why didn't more turn up?

My polling of a few other owners didn't get much favorable response. The two main replies were high cost and too much time off.

Don't get me wrong, I would have gone if not hamstrung by work and it's not like I can pop down for the day from Jakarta, but I get a sense that something shorter and less costly would've attracted more people.

Anyway, I hope something comes along before 2025. I will run out of decades at this rate.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi John,

I understand how you feel. 13 years is better than 20 tho! Its the clubs 50th in 2025 hence the date chosen.

Personally the price wasn't the issue. Im looking into the 5 day Targa NZ in October and the price for that is $3000 without accommodation or food.

The 2012 Porsche Parade was subsidized per head as I understand. This means EMD, CCS and even the Club ponied up the extra per head to make it happen. You could tell. We didnt take out our wallet the whole weekend. the event was superbly catered to a VERY high level. Every evening the quality beer and wine flowed without cost and the food was three course and exquisite for a catered event. The venue was re configured at considerable expense every evening - with lighting, dry ice, wall and table coverings - everything - you couldn't tell it was the same room. The goodies bag included around $400 nzd retail of stuff including clothes (lovely Porsche jackets with zip out liners and a quality Porsche Polo shirt with badges sewn on). The accommodation was of course great and the breakfasts supplied at the Hilton in the room rate. for 1300 nzd each (4 nights accommodation alone was around 1000 of that retail) my guess is that of the 220 paying individuals each was subsidized by around $600+ a head to make this happen!

In terms of timing and length of event I think this is a catch 22. To be honest the event needed to be a day longer IMHO with more down time for participants to socialize or go out and see some of Taupo. Next time well come down a day early and leave a day later. The mix was skewed towards the older crowd as is typical of ant event requiring time and/or money I have seen over the last 12 years of PCNZ membership. To me its always seemed a real shame that the younger crew are not passionate enough to attend these events or are too tight with their coin. If Apple Inc move to a 6 month product cycle I can only see it getting worse. I have mates who wont bat an eyelid buying a new iphone and ipad every 9 months for $2000 but wouldn't attend a $150 weekend away with the club because its too expensive. Passion = priorities. Im sad to say having been a member of other P clubs overseas over the years that the P car fraternity in NZ doesn't seem as committed as many others I have seen. Interestingly places like Auckland that have 70% of the members were not as strongly represented as you may think with a good number of members arriving from CHCH and Sth Island (good one guys!).

In all honesty these events have never favored "salaried employees". Id would guess 88% of the attendees owned their own businesses or were retired. Hey, these days with the way margins are hassles of compliance go there has to be some bonus for being a business owner I guess!

This isnt meant to be a bag at NZ P car owners and least of all the people reading this board who quite frankly by virtue of being on this board are in the opposite camp mostly. Lets face it even participation on this board from Kiwis is scant when you consider there are 600 PCNZ members cars now registered. Ive always been amazed there are only a dozen of us on here for a DIY community of car nuts with a high % pop ownership or Porsche and exotics?

Lastly I do agree that there was a lack of later, more interesting hardware and owners at the event. No 993RS, 964RS, one 3.6 T one 993TT. There was an excellent array of early gear including 2 x 4 cam Carreras. There was also a decent array of new hardware including 2 x 4.0l GT3RS and a 997 Speedster. Again its demographics. We are talking the retired business owners, early retirees or simply retired older members who have held their now valuable older cars for 30+ years.

Anyway that's my 4cents.....:-)
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, you should have written the copy for the advertising. You are definitely not helping me get over my annoyance at not being able to attend!

The cost comment came from a Turbo 3.6 owner with 5 cars, including a Cayman S. Maybe price is the new polite way of declining to attend events.

Maybe the time issue could have been addressed by different packages for different activities e.g. A shortened package for those that only wanted to drive down/up to show up for the parade. Arranging any event is like herding cats. In the end you set a standard and hope people swing into line. I WILL be in NZ for the next one and likely retired. Time to get back into the club and get involved.

Good luck with the Targa Tour. Depending on your feedback I will look to join in 2013 when I should be back in Auckland and have time to get the Turbo 3.6 prepared or have a second car to take.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. As Im sure you know my comments weren't aimed at you. You have all the kudos in my book being a long term 964T owner from a distance. I know what that's like (I think we have been the same for a similar amount of time now!). I think even contemplating such an event from Jakarta was brave in the first instance....

Some did come for a shorter stay. The organizers were flexible with this but never advertised it. If people asked they were granted a cheaper alternative. It was after all a one in 20 year event. They have an annual club event which is two nights away which probably satiates those with different appetites.

Dude if you aren't retired by 2025 ill kick your ***!

Thanks re the Targa. I think I am going to do this. I just read a book called "The 4 Hour Working Week" while in NZ. It really hit a cord. It says we should design our lives around having "mini retirements". It promotes Lifestyle by Design. Its promotes being Rich by experiences not necessarily by asset wealth. Take a year out to do what our heart desires. Retirement is a folly. We never hit the fiscal target and we don't know what to do with all that free time. Before we know it we realize we don't have enough money so we rein in on the bucket list then we find our-self too old for some of the bucket list. I decided to give it a try.

A young man I met at a diner at the Parade who drives a 3.0 Carrera (well) described his go at the Targa Tour akin to "solar charging the soul" for a driving nut. That struck me and stayed in my mind since. Ive been denying myself too long....Ill send you a post card from one of the Targa stages John. Assuming by car isnt broken or bent and my undies are still clean it will say something like "get your *** over hear damn soon and make that 964 work for its supper: :-)

Caio
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

I just read that book last year and it was the whole reason I bought the car and signed up for Targa!!

As a pretty young guy on the Porsche ownership scale (just north of 30) what frustrates me the most is the lack of support from Motorsport NZ, and car clubs in general, for getting younger guys out of Nissans, Mitsubishis and Mazdas that are 20 years old with over $100k spent on them and into quality Marques. Imagine how many nice Porsches would be on the road if these same guys were spending that kind of money on repairing and restoring classic super cars.

What would they do with them though?

Meanwhile all the sponsorship is going in to dime a dozen japanese rockets that drift or breath fire in a straight line. I've been there and have moved on but I do find it hard to find something on the club calendars (not just PCNZ) beyond track days and DE that's of interest. A lot of it seems to be informal organization between members, as I have been planning.

You may not believe this but when the guy from Motorsport NZ called me to confirm my national rally and race license details he said I was the first guy around my age he had processed in 2 years that wasn't applying for a Drift license.

And yes, I will get off my *** and do something about it when I move home

I guess my point is, in general I feel like there's a lot of money going to other areas of the industry that could be better directed if MSNZ and the appropriate clubs catered to it. Hypothetically improving ownership, attendance, participation and general health of the industry.

But perhaps younger guys aren't welcome
Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Unbelievable coincidence re the book!

Im 9 maybe 10 years older than you but I understand your frustration.

12 years ago I bought my first Porsche (the same 993 in my avatar although there have been many additional "bed mates" during that time). I felt very much the same at the time, especially with the club, of which i seemed to be they youngest member at 29 when i joined. I know I wasn't but it seemed that way.

The fact seems to be we are becoming less of a car culture nation. Playstation has robbed us of the need to participate in the sport of wheel craft ourselves. The nanny state has dumbed down our enjoyment of spirited responsible driving. Legislation is making cars more exciting for "top trumps" card players only. We cant use the power and we aren't deemed responsible enough to use the power in any case.

It all sounds like a good reason to do the Targa to me. That and the fact ill be a geriatric by the time I can "afford" to do it. Or at the least Ill have arthritis in my fingers....

Sean. When you are home try a couple of seasons of Bridgestone class B. I think that would be a lot off fun... :-)
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Unbelievable coincidence re the book!

Im 9 maybe 10 years older than you but I understand your frustration.

12 years ago I bought my first Porsche (the same 993 in my avatar although there have been many additional "bed mates" during that time). I felt very much the same at the time, especially with the club, of which i seemed to be they youngest member at 29 when i joined. I know I wasn't but it seemed that way.

The fact seems to be we are becoming less of a car culture nation. Playstation has robbed us of the need to participate in the sport of wheel craft ourselves. The nanny state has dumbed down our enjoyment of spirited responsible driving. Legislation is making cars more exciting for "top trumps" card players only. We cant use the power and we aren't deemed responsible enough to use the power in any case.

It all sounds like a good reason to do the Targa to me. That and the fact ill be a geriatric by the time I can "afford" to do it. Or at the least Ill have arthritis in my fingers....

Sean. When you are home try a couple of seasons of Bridgestone class B. I think that would be a lot off fun... :-)
Great minds! Yes, the Targa really is that place I believe.

I will have to see how it balances with Seria Campione. I think that would be a blast.

Maybe when we're both back we can share a crew and work on this bucket list!

Cheers mate.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, believe me there is a plan. With the big 50 coming this year it's all about moving to balance. You can't do that as an Expat so repatriation in the next year is a likely option. I could fill a year gainfully in unpaid tasks and knocking items off the bucket list without needing to do any more planning. It will happen. I learned my lesson with Vanuatu - when you know it's time to move on, do it. The difficulty is patience when the plan is not immediate.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of interesting comments there. I can certainly relate to some of the points about young people in the club. I joined 5 years ago at 27, and while I've never felt unwelcome in any way, it was always noticeable that I wasn't really part of the main demographic! I haven't noticed many younger guys come in below me since then, either.

Seems like most young guys these days are only thinking about Fast and the Furious (nice to see the GT3 RS get a brief spot in the last one though), HP, acceleration times, and doing laps around the city centre on a Saturday night. I've always been more interested in handling and the fun you can have on a twisty bit of road without even exceeding the speed limit. Or maybe that's just because my car doesn't have much power

I'm going to look out for that 4-Hour Work Week book, sounds like an interesting read.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John - your 50 th is that still taking place over here? I hope so - Id like to give you a copy of that book I had made on my car...

I love NZ but I personally couldn't live there full time again. The nicest part is visiting. We spent 5 months there last 2 years and although it wasn't quite enough it gave us time to play with toys (car project, cannonball etc etc), family, travel and get the nice weather. I think 4 months a year, Xmas - late April would be perfect. Maybe a short trip back for events like Targa.

That's the goal in any case....there have to be some advantages to being debt free and childless....just need to find the millions and it would be a series of mini retirements LOL!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

When two worlds collide:

Sounds amazing, plenty of power but just doesn't look right drifting...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Great pics!! Looks like fun!
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Quick Reply: Parade 2012 Taupo NZ